Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24 hour trip MA to NYC

This will be my Synik's first train trip! This packing list is a little too big for my L15, but way too small for my A30, which is exactly why I got the Synik in the first place. This is a very typical trip for me, so I'm comparison packing.

Journey involves driving from rural MA to the train station in CT, parking, train to Penn Station, walking a mile to the hotel because in Manhattan it takes as long to drive a mile as to walk so I may as well stretch my legs tho I may take a cab if it's pouring rain, staying overnight for a gig in the morning, then carpooling back in the afternoon and getting dropped off at the train station in CT to drive myself home.

Especially because of the walk, my priority is a comfortable carry, which means a backpack.

Wearing:
    tshirt, hoodie, jeans, boots, scarf, puffy coat

Packing list and how to get it into each of my three backpacks:
    24 hour trip MA to NYC-packing-table-jpg

24 hour trip MA to NYC-img_20200106_175056-jpg

24 hour trip MA to NYC-img_20200106_175409-jpg

24 hour trip MA to NYC-img_20200106_180007-jpg

Snacks not pictured, and a few changes from list to test pack, but you get the idea.
    The Synik is the obvious perfect choice, if only because it's the most comfortable to carry as a backpack. It's about 2/3 full. The empty space is mostly in the main compartment. But it still looks great and is comfortable to carry, unlike the A30, which slumps. I maybe could have make the L15 work, but it's not designed for this, and really it would be better as the L15/PT combo I like for car trips and spa weekends, not overnight Amtrak work trips.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I love your chart! With the different bags, the layout really determines how everything can be packed and your chart really helps show the best way to organize it. Thank you for sharing your test pack. Bravo! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool chart!

I used to take Amtrak from Baltimore to MA and Philly to MA back when I still lived back east... it was usually way faster than driving, with bigger seats, power, etc.

Have a good trip and let us know if it works out as you expect
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the cheerful yellow packing cubes! Where did you get them?

Forum Member
    NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great time! Do you want help navigating the subway? If you're only a mile from Penn Station, it's likely the subway will be the best option, especially in the rain. (You'll have a hard time finding a cab if the weather is bad- I'd suggest Uber or better yet, Via- the cheapest option of all). Happy to help however I can!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I like the cheerful yellow packing cubes! Where did you get them?
    Amazon -- I needed something fast to replace a cube with broken zippers, so I took advantage of prime shipping. I chose them because the yellow was so happy, but assumed I'd have to replace them with something better when I had time to shop properly. They worked out surprisingly well, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lia, I love the chart you made describing what each pocket holds! As someone considering the A30 or S30 for trips where my S22 is not quite big enough, it helps to have the idea of the compartment usage in terms of a bag I already know!

Also Penn Station is connected to most subway lines. I would consider it worth the $2.75 for a MetroCard swipe to go a mile in NYC. It is nice to walk if the weather is good, though.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather turned out gorgeous for a walk from the train to the hotel. And the Synik was more comfortable than my shoes. Arriving at the hotel, it was a pleasure to open the clamshell all the way and very quickly grab my sandals to change into and soothe my feet. Didn't have to wait to dig down and find them. First time I've really appreciated the value of the clamshell opening.

I have a welcome lull in my travel for two months, so my bags will get some closet time. After that, it's overnights like this one almost every week, then several big trips over the summer. At least I'm prepared with a clear and effective plan!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk