Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you carry a hand hygiene kit?

Does anyone carry a kit of hand hygiene/protection stuff when they leave the house? The system I've been using is coming apart. I was filling my pockets with what I needed, wearing gloves, and sanitizing the gloves at the store. But in the summer I have few functional pockets. I'm venturing beyond the grocery store and have been surprised at how many places don't provide hand sanitizer at the door. So I'm shopping for hand sanitizer. If I can find fragrance-free, maybe I'll go bare handed. If I do, I'll carry hand cream. I already carry soap because of skin allergies. I want to fit it all into a pouch for speedy bag switching. I think? That's a lot of stuff. Maybe it'll fit into a GW? Or cubelet? Or I could switch to a backpack for the summer. I'm curious what you all are carrying and how you pack it.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 06-14-2020 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a mask but not gloves when out grocery shopping or going to work (mandatory where I live). I leave hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes in my car and use that to wipe down my hands, steering wheel, whatever, when I'm done. I have wicked allergies, but mostly respiratory. I do get contact dermatitis from some things, but usually not on my hands. If there's hand sanitizer in a store, I'll use it, but since I'm usually carrying something out of the store, I'll still clean up in the car.

At home, I wash my hands frequently throughout putting away any mail, groceries, after coming in from a walk, etc.

On my daily 4-8mi walks, I either load my pockets with what I need to carry and/or use the original fannypack style Side Effects that I bought on Ravelry. I carry a mask just in case (not required for exercising if maintaining distance), tissues, a small hand sanitizer, keys, phone, etc.

My hands are actually a lot less beat up now that I'm working from home and only go out once every 1 - 3 weeks (groceries/work), so I'm not washing obsessively. I also live alone, so it's different than if there were more people around.

For what you seem to be carrying, I'd use a 210 ballistic or 200 halcyon Everyday Cubelet or Side Effect or look for one of the older fannypack style Side Effects.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good topic, been thinking about this recently as weíve been out more.

My guiding principles are to have tissues (so I donít touch my face directly), a mask, hand gel, and wipes. It doesnít take up that much room so I try to fit it into whatever else I am carrying because quick and ready access to that stuff is important. I donít want it in a dedicated bag because I donít want it behind another zipper.

Right now I only go out for three reasons: a run (alone), a picnic or walk (with the kids), a trip to the grocery store (alone). My bag situation is different in each case so I donít have a standard sanitizing setup, I kind of redo it each time but Iím getting into a pattern at least.

For running I use a Side Effect on Gatekeeper waist straps as a fanny pack/bum bag (any Side Effect or Side Kick can become a waist bag with the Gatekeeper strap). I stuff my slimmest hand sanitizer and a mask inside in case I end up at a store on the way home (usually do).

For picnics I have my Synapse 25 with me. For this purpose the chin pocket is packed with all sorts of sanitizing wipes, bottles, actual soap, and bags. In the smallest front pocket I keep my favorite sanitizer with my keys.

For trips to the store I carry just a Travel Cubelet with my favorite sanitizer gel, etc and then my grocery bags. I use contactless Apple Pay on my phone so I donít even need my wallet (frees up room in the TC for more cleaning stuff).

Canít wait to read what others are doing, I have been wanting to streamline this stuff.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cubelet for this. I carry a mask or two, some thin white cotton gloves and hand sanitizer. The gloves are mostly to remind myself not to touch my face. I'm a bit of a germaphobe anyhow so I just have a socially accepted reason. I still wash thoroughly when entering the house but don't have to sanitize the car. The gloves come off when I open the hatch. New pair each stop.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 06-15-2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Natick, MA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you carry a hand hygiene kit?

I use my PIKA for grocery trips/outings to carry my essentials. I keep it clipped into my Parental Unit (it stays in the car on grocery outing). I wear the PIKA cross body inside the grocery store (the only public
    place I have been to other than pharmacy drive thru since March). I think the PIKA is a perfect fit for a hand sanitizer kitSmilie

I have a hand sanitizer that can clip to the exterior of the PIKA and I refill it periodically from a giant office supply size sanitizer kept at home. I carry a pair of plastic gloves and my TB mask in the back pouch of PIKA (I take the gloves off and throw them after each outing) and I try to use Apple Pay on my Apple Watch at the store for check out to avoid using my cards etc. I do keep my license and just one credit card in the front zip of PIKA in case. In the middle pocket of PIKA lives my iPhone that I only take out if absolutely necessary in public.

I use the hand sanitizer on the PIKA as soon as I take off the gloves and disinfect the watch in car with wipes (stored in PU).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Take a look also at @kmw 's Neck bag for anti-virus/disinfecting kit? (Passport Pouch-meets-Cubelet?) thread. She ended up using a cubelet. (I could actually make her proposed solution work with a standard (non-RFID) Passport Pouch, but these were all sold out at the time. The P.I.K.A. wouldn't have survived being fully washed on every occasion it was taken out and used, though. (In the earlier shelter-at-home months I was beginning to find my hands were getting rubbed raw because of the amount of washing and disinfecting I was constantly doing.)

moriond

ETA: Another thing you can do is use either a Pocket Pouch or a Super Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch to hold a small bottle of hand disinfectant. This picture was posted by @jessmakes on Twitter near the end of March:

In a bag like the Passport Pouch, you can connect the snap hooks to the large O-rings on either side at the top. Also works for Everyday Cubelet and other pouches (even a Small Yarn Stuff Sack, especially if you use the small swivel carabiners to attach to the yarn guide inside). A supermini GWOP can hold a couple of masks.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-15-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: correct mini GWOP to SuperMini GWOP for masks

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another good recent thread Staying Safe shows @labrain 's solution with a medium Double Organizer Pouch

This was a carrying solution for a Cafe Bag

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-15-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got side tracked from this by searching for truly fragrance free sanitizer and wipes. I've bought two "fragrance free" and their perfume stink made me nauseous. Does anyone have a recommendation for a small liquid-proof container? My last round of sanitizer orders was for liquid ones. I give up on wipes. I'll dedicate a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some rags to the car.

Returning to everyone's ideas here... I hadn't thought about quick access to my sanitizer. In the interest of using what I already own, I could dedicate the front pocket my favorite baggalini . Although I like keeping my credit card separate from everything else, and my soap away from my phone.

Or I could hook a GW to my EC. Or whatever PLO I'm carrying. That wouldn't disrupt the interior organization. Gloves are easy enough to stuff into the bottom of a bag and in the car's alcohol kit.

I almost forgot lotion! I have some little containers in my travel kit. Then it'll take up no space in my PLO.

Masks are simple enough, I keep a bunch in the car.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I have a cubelet for this. I carry a mask or two, some thin white cotton gloves and hand sanitizer. The gloves are mostly to remind myself not to touch my face. I'm a bit of a germaphobe anyhow so I just have a socially accepted reason. I still wash thoroughly when entering the house but don't have to sanitize the car. The gloves come off when I open the hatch. New pair each stop.
    Where did you get your thin white cotton gloves?

Because of the risk of sunburn, I have to use sunscreen on my hands but I think cotton gloves would be even better, especially now, since the washing or disinfectant wipe rubbing can remove the sunscreen and not doing that is not an option.

By the way, my hand hygiene kit and minimalist carry is the Travel Cubelet.

I felt guilty buying them when they first came out, but they have been the most perfect, useful and cute addition to the TB lineup in a decade.
    Perfect as an organizer in the SCB, perfect as cute evening bag, perfect as my I need to take as little as possible, and the cute bag need to be able to be washed thoroughly, if someone forgets distancing, or acts the fool in a state where numbers are still climbing.

With the addition of Carabiners, I can even add an external pocket known as the Cubelet, I will probably need that if I get a bunch of cotton gloves.

I feel that disposable should be left to medical professionals and I want to re-use as many items as possible so TB masks and cotton gloves would be wonderful.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-16-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a small liquid-proof container?.
    Nalgene... you can buy from REI, Container Store, Amazon, etc. Their normal screw top containers are leak proof - the company originally made lab ware.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get your thin white cotton gloves?
    Ebay. I looked for cotton inspection gloves. The ones I got are intended for handling coins, to prevent the oils on your skin from damaging the coins. I also saw ones that are intended to be used as part of a uniform (think marching band). Here's the link to the specific ones I purchased: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pair-Whi...53.m2749.l2649

I was bothered by the pile of disposable gloves in the back of my car after shopping trips, so I was looking for something reusable. My protocol is to use the back hatch with gloves on, deposit my groceries, remove the gloves so the dirty part is now on the inside, leave them in the back of the car, then close the hatch via a different handle. So I have one "dirty" handle, and the rest of the handles and the steering wheel stay "clean". I do still occasionally wipe down in the car anyways (because as I said I'm a bit of a germophobe) but I'm not using disposable wipes all the time and creating more trash.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm making progress! I got myself a gel fragrance free hand sanitizer, transferred it into a travel soap container and I took it out for a test run today. Based on suggestions here I clipped its GW to the outside of my PLO and left the top unzipped so I could pull out the sanitizer easily. Bonus: I like how alphaviolet looks with my current PLOs.

Attachment 24809

The silicone parts of the container stuck to the GW when I was trying to take it out and put it back. Rather than fight that I used the hand sanitizer provided by the store. Bad choice, that stuff made my skin burn. I used mine on the way out. But it took the whole walk through the parking lot to get it out of the GW and back in. I've ordered a set of nalgene containers. There was room in my PLO for an ounce container of hand cream, which my skin wanted badly after that stuff the store provided.

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a public transportation user so I've always carried hand sanitizer with me. I have a strong preference for the smooth plastic bottles that have an integrated hole for a carabiner and hang cap-side down. Mine is clipped to the strap of my Everyday Cubelet so that I never have to reach into my bag with dirty hands to retrieve it -- flipping the cap open and dispensing the hand sanitizer is a one-handed operation:

Do you carry a hand hygiene kit?-sanitizer_sm-jpg

I'm fairly sure I bought this particular bottle at Goodwill (the section by the counter, with the candy and other impulse buys), but they sell similar items on Amazon.

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've adjusted my system. I keep gloves, spray sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, rags (I gave up on distinfecant wipes) and extra masks in the car.

Do you carry a hand hygiene kit?-img_20200620_183321-jpg

Gloves can usually be resued so I stick them in an envelope labeled with Sunday - Saturday to keep track of when I last wore any given pair. I clip a small nalgene container in a super mini GW to my PLO. Not crazy about the conteinar but it'll do till I find something like the one @Ms.Ferret shared.