Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Travel Kitchen

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    It's semi related, because it's similar materials....those bowls are food grade polypropylene, a common packaging plastic.
    From their FAQ: "Of course, the material can be damaged by cutting, or exposing it to an open flame, but under normal use it is flexible and virtually unbreakable."

So you physically can cut on them, many cutting boards are polyprop, but I would avoid it because as they say, it will damage them over time. The bowls aren't super expensive, but you will inevitably start micro slicing the plastic. Over time that will weaken them and they'll start to fail sooner than otherwise. I'd want to maximize their lifespan before disposing/recycling. The other big deal is that microbes hide in nooks and crannies, so the more cut up and the deeper the slices over time, the harder it is to clean. When you return from a trip and have used them, I would run them through the dishwasher, if you have one, though hand washing done correctly is perfectly fine.

Ideally, you replace your plastic cutting boards relatively frequently, depending on how sliced up they get.
    You can also buy a high quality solid wood board and then sand it down occasionally.

US Amazon, but a set like this would make a lot of mini boards
    https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Plas.../dp/B01HN7ZGUQ

So for a mini traveling kitchen, where size & weight are concerns, I would go for an inexpensive single (or set) of the flexible cutting boards cut up into multiple miniboards. Just replace one mini board with a new one after they get worn down.
    Finding a small 'bartender' size solid wood board would also be an option, but heavier, thicker, and you may not find one the right size. But theoretically you could sand it down to extend it's life and/or compost it, burn it in your next campfire, etc (as long as it's real wood).
    A small tempered glass cutting board would work too, but I've never seen a tiny one....
    Thank you very much!

Ah yes I donít want to slice microplastics into my food or create books and crannies for bacteria to hide Travel Kitchen

I actually have a bartenders cutting board, it came in a set of three bamboo boards. Maybe Iíll just pack that! I got it at TK Maxx (this is what TJ Maxx is called here), and as soon as the kids are back at school, Iím heading there for a browse. Iíll keep my eye out for travel kitchen items. Travel Kitchen

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting the small snake charmer and a CQPC, I realized the CQPC was actually a better option for my travel kitchen because it holds my travel cutting board. I still need to get a travel colander (I'm thinking this one https://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/silico...KHN+M2161.html), salt and pepper shakers and something for oil and vinegar. The bag I'm using to hold the creamers takes up a lot of room, so I'll probably keep less in there in a smaller bag. I'm also still sewing up a utensil holder/ napkin for my daughter's set, which is bigger than the others, but there's plenty of room for four here.
    Travel Kitchen-img_8071-jpg
    Travel Kitchen-img_8069-jpg
    Travel Kitchen-img_8070-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    After getting the small snake charmer and a CQPC, I realized the CQPC was actually a better option for my travel kitchen because it holds my travel cutting board. I still need to get a travel colander (I'm thinking this one https://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/silico...KHN+M2161.html), salt and pepper shakers and something for oil and vinegar. The bag I'm using to hold the creamers takes up a lot of room, so I'll probably keep less in there in a smaller bag. I'm also still sewing up a utensil holder/ napkin for my daughter's set, which is bigger than the others, but there's plenty of room for four here.
    Travel Kitchen-img_8071-jpg
    Travel Kitchen-img_8069-jpg
    Travel Kitchen-img_8070-jpg
    @nessagr What a great idea, I never thought of the CQPC! This week is pretty hectic but since I needed more 3D space than I originally thought, I would like to try this. I think it would work since I donít really need things to be supremely compartmentalized, and many things in the kit are kind of bulky even though theyíre small. Thanks!

Edited to add:
    I am delighted to say that all the kitchen stuff pictured in my post above fits in just one side of the CQPC! I am very excited about this because it means that if I needed to, I could pack a cutting board and dishtowel and some sort of extra cutlery and/or collapsible bowls without really taking up much more room in my travel bag.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Cristina; 08-25-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @nessagr What a great idea, I never thought of the CQPC! This week is pretty hectic but since I needed more 3D space than I originally thought, I would like to try this. I think it would work since I donít really need things to be supremely compartmentalized, and many things in the kit are kind of bulky even though theyíre small. Thanks!

Edited to add:
    I am delighted to say that all the kitchen stuff pictured in my post above fits in just one side of the CQPC! I am very excited about this because it means that if I needed to, I could pack a cutting board and dishtowel and some sort of extra cutlery and/or collapsible bowls without really taking up much more room in my travel bag.

Thanks again!
    That's great! The CQPC holds so much. I have a lot I want to add and I'm sure it will be able to carry it all.
    The thanks goes to you for the original idea. Having all these things in one place is going to be super helpful when we start doing family road trips again.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspired by this thread (and having used my travel kitchen last weekend while visiting family) I decided I needed an upgrade to my spices. I found these heat sealable mylar bags that hold about a teaspoon of product and filled them with my most used Penzey's spices. I have 8 of them in a tin that is a little larger than an Altoids tin. Smilie

Travel Kitchen-img_1713-jpg
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    London
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    What do you think youíll put in your travel kitchen? Iím building mine around what annoys me when we stay somewhere.
    My pet rental kitchen annoyance are the invariably blunt kitchen knives. Unfortunately packing a kitchen knife on a flight won't work. But I am considering a small sharpener - wonder if anyone packs one in their kitchen kit?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    My pet rental kitchen annoyance are the invariably blunt kitchen knives. Unfortunately packing a kitchen knife on a flight won't work. But I am considering a small sharpener - wonder if anyone packs one in their kitchen kit?
    I have suffered this problem many times, and Iíve even gone out and bought knives on longer vacations. Then I learned a GREAT trick for rentals. Sharpen dull knives on the bottom of any mug. The rough, unglazed ceramic ring on the bottom of a mug acts like a sharpening stone:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/09/...-on-a-mug.html

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually carry a small sharpener in my travel toolkit. They are very light. But thanks for the mug-bottom tip!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the latest one I bought, I have a couple: https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Po...%2C231&sr=8-14

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is comfortable, or comfortable enough to use. remember that one uses very little force when one drags the blade through the slot. It helps to sit the sharpener on a table to hold it steady.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never gone full travel kitchen but I always have a travel utensil set with me including a spoon, fork, butterish knife (cuts but is not sharp), chopsticks and a reusable straw. Muji, one of my favorite stores has small stuff. It looks great and are easy to clean.

https://www.muji.us/store/maple-chop...182088427.html

https://www.muji.us/store/4549738726722.html

https://www.muji.us/store/4549738726715.html

Weirdly it's not the travel stuff that bugs me it's the lack of cleaning items. So along with my travel utensils I have a cut bit of sponge and a travel size Palmolive dish soap container I liberated from a timeshare I was trying out. Comes in handy all the time. As long as I can reclean whatever is being offered so I know for certain it's Dana-clean I'm okay.
    Last edited by TRD; 11-15-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3