Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel to Alaska

I found out that I will be traveling to Anchorage for several days in a couple of weeks for work, and I am hoping to be able to pack for the trip using my Pilot and Smart Alec – I haven’t decided yet if this is overly optimistic. I am hoping to get a few suggestions from folks who have packed for cold weather trips (I run very cold) of any space saving suggestions, though I will try for a test pack in the next few days. I know I will have to take my very warm down jacket (compressible yet still takes up room even in a stuff sack), and I may take a compressible vest too, plus very warm gloves and a hat, and those will be the least space efficient items I take. I can likely get by with one of my ibex zip-up sweaters over long sleeved shirts and a couple pairs of pants for the two office days. Plus I will take long johns for sleep. I may wear boots for travel/sightseeing, but I will likely need to take business casual shoes for the office – still undecided. Since I wear a women’s small, my clothes are smaller, but this will still be a good challenge.

I intend to pack my clothes in the Smart Alec and my Pilot will accommodate all of my electronics, snacks, work materials, and any miscellaneous items.

Also, I will have an afternoon/evening when I fly in plus a morning when flying out for a little bit of sightseeing. If anyone has suggestions about any must-see things in Anchorage that might fit that brief time frame, I would be grateful, since it will be my first trip to Alaska. And yes, I wish it were going to be during their summer! Smilie On a positive note, I will have a rental car, so transportation will not be an issue.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings NWhikergal!
    I live in Anchorage and we are still wondering when winter is going to arrive. It's been really warm, for us. We barely have a dusting of snow on the ground. If it keeps on like it's been, it will be spring "break up" (also known as mud season) when you arrive.

The Alaska Wildberry Company has a great selection of gifts, chocolates, wild game and fish if you need to bring gifts back home. They will also ship.

If you'd like to see a moose or Dahl sheep, I can show you the most likely places to find them. I'd be happy to show you around. elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the boots, what activities do you plan to do? You might not need boots at all, especially if we don't get any snow. Check back with me a few days before you travel if you'd like an update on actual conditions here. elisa

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, AlaskaGirl! I heard the winter has been fairly mild there so far, but when I looked at the forecast for 10 days out (as far as I could get on weather.com), it looks like the temps start dropping to the 0 to 20 degree range. I know that may not be cold for Alaskans or East Coast folks, but the Seattle winter has been super mild 40s to 50s mainly. I will definitely touch base as it gets closer to when I leave in a couple of weeks.

Thank you so much for the recommendation and kind offer! It sounds like (from Tripadvisor recs at least) I ought to see Prince William Sound, and the Anchorage Museum has great reviews, but everything will be all new and exciting. I just wish I had more time there so I could do a full-fledged outdoors activity one day. Perhaps this quick trip will give me the taste to lure me back another time.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at compression packing bags for your down jacket. Don't get the kind that require a vacuum but the one that you compress by rolling it. I've had great luck with putting the items in the bag, sealing it and then placing it on a step and sitting on it, roll, sit, roll, sit until all the air is out. You can easily get three times as many items into a bag this way and an item that is mostly air (down jacket) will compress to nothing thicker than a folded up t-shirt. When at your destination, open the bag, remove the jacket, shake it a few times and it is as good as new.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still no snow here. It is supposed to be in the 40s next week. That's 40 Fahrenheit. elisa

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Elisa! That sounds fantastic. I will hit there Monday, and the forecast shows snow then and rain later days, but that is not bad. I can't wait! Work has been so hectic I have not had a chance to pack yet, but I am starting to get excited. If I can just make it through the next 2 work days...

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case my packing list is of interest, here are the clothes I finalized for my Alaska trip, and even with the outer layers, it all fits in my Smart Alec without any problems, and I even have extra room left for toiletries, etc. Tomorrow I will put my electronics and work things in my Pilot. I almost could have taken my CP as a work bag, but I have to take a couple of folders for work, and the CP is a bit snug in the corners for that. I packed my clothes in a WF PCBP.

I am taking:Travel to Alaska-img_2583-jpgTravel to Alaska-img_2589-jpgTravel to Alaska-img_2590-jpg
    2 Ibex long sleeved shirts
    1 MH long sleeved shirt
    1 Ibex zip up sweater
    1 pair of REI travel pants
    1 Ibex woolies sleep top
    1 Montbell wool sleep pants
    3 pairs underwear
    3 pairs Darn Tough wool socks
    1 Arcteryx synthetic vest
    1 Montbell synthetic insulated jacket
    1 Patagonia softshell pullover
    1 pair Manzella gloves
    1 Patagonia wool and fleece hat

On my travel day I will wear a MH longsleeved shirt, 5.11 pants, a Mammut zip up fleece hoody, and Ahnu boots. I picked up my Moon guidebook today, and I am getting excited!!

ETA: My cat is less amused about my packing activities!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-15-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. At first I thought your cat was intending to tag along, until I saw that feline expression in the other photo.

Be sure to bring a camera and its charger. If you decide an umbrella would be useful, I have one you can use, so you don't need to bring one. elisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a weight for your load in the SA?

I didn't see your departure date mentioned anywhere but here's the 10 day forecast. Nice and warm. Stick Out Tongue

It would be interesting to know what items you don't wear end up wearing or what you would leave behind/swap out on a similar trip. It seems like you packed a lot layers for the expected weather?

As always, we want to see some trip pics!
    Last edited by Dandelion; 03-15-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing comprehensive to add here, but earlier today this showed in the overview of the Forums and I just liked it:

Travel to Alaska-unbenanntes-bild-jpg

Ilkyway

PS: I hope this is okay with you AlaskaGirl?
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Have a weight for your load in the SA?

I didn't see your departure date mentioned anywhere but here's the 10 day forecast. Nice and warm. Stick Out Tongue

It would be interesting to know what items you don't wear end up wearing or what you would leave behind/swap out on a similar trip. It seems like you packed a lot layers for the expected weather?

As always, we want to see some trip pics!
    @Dandelion, my SA weighs 9 lbs without toiletries, so I expect those will add a pound or so. I did end up swapping out the PCBP for an Eagle Creek specter cube and half cube, as my clothes were sliding about a bit since the PCBP was not stuffed. So I may throw in my Sea to Summit ultrasil backpack (2.9 ounces?) instead in case I need something like that. I do have lots of outer layers variety, and the optional layers I am taking are the vest and softshell, as I am certain I will be using the Montbell jacket. Since it has been in the 60s here in Seattle the past few days till today, I figured I would have the option of either going warmer by adding the vest layer and/or softshell if I go somewhere higher and exposed, or if I am running hot, I can always just use the vest with softshell since that is very wind and water resistant. At times I have a narrow zone of comfort, and I would rather have multiple options than be uncomfortable, since I have more than a few jackets at home. Smilie

At least since my clothes are small, those take less room and don't weigh as much. I may even end up putting some of my electronics (chargers, etc) in my SA, since I would rather have that weight evenly distributed on my back than in my Pilot.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-15-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so excited for you, @NWhikergal! Are you having a meet up with @Alaskagirl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I'm so excited for you, @NWhikergal! Are you having a meet up with @Alaskagirl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, we will have a mini meetup!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, that's great!

Yes, I'm delighted to meet NWhikergal. So excited to spend the day with her! elisa

PS - The weather was 12 degrees F. and windy today. Brrrrr! Last week my lawn was green. Today's it's frozen. Mother Nature and Jack Frost had better get their acts together, because I can't bring summer and winter clothing every where I go for much longer. I'll move to Antarctica!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast