Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pants.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a few pairs of different Kuhl pants that I like quite a bit. Some of them look more "technical", so they'll stand out a bit, but some of the styles work well for even business casual. A variety of their pants are at most REI stores.

I'm curious about the Bluffworks pants. They're all polyester? Do they have the typical polyester look and sometimes itchy feel?

San Diego
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread, got some great ideas for some great travel brands I never heard of before, and most of them are Made in the USA as well, double bonus. Think I'll get a pair of the Bluffworks once I lose a couple inches around the waist!
    Current Roster
    Aeronaut 45 - Steel/Wasabi; A45 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack - steel; A45 End Pocket Packing Cube (EPPC) - 2 mesh, 1 all fabric; Absolute Shoulder Strap; Pilot - Steel/Wasabi; Pilot large packing cube - Steel; 3D Clear Organizer Cube - Steel; Clear Quarter Packing Cube (CQPC) - Wasabi; CQPC - Steel; three mini organizer pouches - red, blue, wasabi; Key straps (3) - Two 8, one 16"

Contemplating
    Western Flyer?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I've got a few pairs of different Kuhl pants that I like quite a bit. Some of them look more "technical", so they'll stand out a bit, but some of the styles work well for even business casual. A variety of their pants are at most REI stores.

I'm curious about the Bluffworks pants. They're all polyester? Do they have the typical polyester look and sometimes itchy feel?
    No, they have a nice sheen to them and don't itch at all.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like traveling with at least one pair of dark Gap chinos. They look semi-professional and clean up pretty easily from coffee spills, etc. And they dry more quickly than denim, though if you have access to a hair dryer at your hotel, jeans can clean up pretty well.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the BluffWorks. Tough. Lightweight. Quick drying. Good looking. Wrinkle-resistant.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    +1 on the BluffWorks. Tough. Lightweight. Quick drying. Good looking. Wrinkle-resistant.
    Kuhl Liberators are pretty good for travel, too.

They are convertibles so, if I pack them, then I don't need to bring a separate pair of shorts.

They are one of the less dorky looking convertibles I've found: the leg zippers are fairly innocuous and well-hidden, and they have actual belt loops (rather than an elastic waist with a built-in belt that so many convertibles have).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in with a +1 on Bluffworks. The QC can be a little rough in a few spots, but overall I think they're a good purchase.

I've actually started wearing them for the majority of my work outfits - they look very much like dress clothing. I regularly pair them with casual tees to suit jackets. I wash them far less than my "regular" clothes, even day to day. They will wrinkle to a degree (I get the most behind the knee.)

I've been so happy with their performance that I'm taking 2 pair on a 2-week trip to Japan/Korea. It really lightens up my bag, and they wash easily and hang dry quickly, if you do that sort of thing.

Some of the nicer DWR-laden, beefy softshells are nicer and might feel a little more comfortable, but they're often 2x-3x the price.

As far as the all-polyester fabric: I am annoyed when they generate a ton more static, but I think they breathe decently for all poly fabric. I actually like the twill and color variation of the fabric. The dark grey is a nice charcoal heather, the tan is a little yellowish but has nice darker flecks, the navy is almost like a navy-black heather, velvet brown is an interesting shade (which I dig) but might not be everyone's thing. Some online photos make the light grey look kind of plasticy, but it isn't like that in person. The lighter gray is less natural, and probably my least favorite color out of the group (I don't have any in black). The light tan is less "flat" looking than the online pictures, and a little yellower. It can be a little bright next to some of the clothes I wear, but I'm picky about matching shades.

As far as QC issues, sizing was pretty good. I'm thinking more of finish - someone didn't watch seam allowances in the pockets, so fabric peeks through where it should be a finished seam (too much fabric!) Some of the stitching isn't as finished or as careful as mid-priced or better pants. I'm guessing that much of this has to do with the newness of the company. The finish wears off of the buttons because of my belt buckles, and I wish the button hardware was a little beefier. The buttons have a thin coating or anodization on them that will wear through. I kinda wish it was just non-coated metal.

I like the pockets. The left-hand front zip is a little weird for my phone (I always feel like I'm going to drag the phone screen across the zipper!) ... but I've adapted. I like the coin catcher and loop in the front right pocket. I don't use the cellphone pocket and haven't used the zip rear left yet. Pockets are a good size!

As far as weight, they're lighter than most of my dress pants and definitely lighter than jeans. They roll up very well. I wear 30"x32", but have a ~33" inseam. Rolling them up results in a cylinder that is roughly 3.5" diameter and 13" long. This is about 1/2 to 1/3 the volume and 2/3 to 1/2 the weight of jeans or cotton dress pants. Despite the size and difference, the pants feel like a pretty "normal" dress pant fabric weight. I like that they don't feel papery or weird.

Fit is good and seems to be true to a trim-fit size based on actual body measurements.

All said, I thought it was reasonable for the cost and features - even considering the QC issues. I usually pick them up when they're on special or have the preorder/restock price to save a few bucks. The wrinkles relax after some hanging, rolling up or folding. I've slept in them and woken up looking very presentable. I wish they'd make some shirts that hold up as well!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Nike golf pants almost daily and for travel. They can be found at Ross or TJ Maxx regularly for less than $30 but are worth the $90 MSRP. They are really light, breathable, look classy, and are stretch fabric. Look fine with any footwear. Adidas, puma, callaway and others also sell nice golf pants.

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squaredot View Post
    I usually pick them up when they're on special or have the preorder/restock price to save a few bucks.

How do you find out about these "specials"?
    --------------------------------

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been curious about getting the Bluffworks pants, especially after this review by SnarkyNomad. Nice to see so many forum members recommending them as well.

I recently bought Icebreaker's men's field pants, and they are very comfortable. I have yet to use them for traveling, but I could easily see myself wearing them on travels. I really love them.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurley Dri Fit Chinos, Hurley Corman, Hurley Phantom, and Royal Robbins.

Royal Robbins and Eddie Bauer Travex for tops, as well as Nike Dri Fit polos that look more business casual than golf, too.

Forum Member
    Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to try on a pair of Bluffworks before buying any, but they do sound magical ... I have many years of polyester prejudice to overcome, though. The idea of being able to take an extended trip with one worn / one packed pair of pants sounds really good, though. Are they available only online?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    How do you find out about these "specials"?
    I browse the site occasionally. There's a ~5% discount when a given size is out of stock, or when they release a new product for preorder.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I'd like to try on a pair of Bluffworks before buying any, but they do sound magical ... I have many years of polyester prejudice to overcome, though. The idea of being able to take an extended trip with one worn / one packed pair of pants sounds really good, though. Are they available only online?
    As far as I'm aware - yes, only online.

If you really detest polyester, they aren't cotton... they don't feel the same. But these aren't 80s polyester pants (thank goodness). They do feel a little interesting in high humidity or wearing totally soaked. Some technical pants or softshells mitigate this somewhat with more complicated weaves or knits. The fiber structure of poly and nylon are just different... they don't absorb into the fiber, so they have to wick moisture. This is accomplished largely with structure (weave, knit) or innovations in fiber production (spinning, fiber extrusion techniques) or perhaps coatings, amendments, fiber blends and so on. There's been a lot of technical innovation in these areas, it would seem.

To me, the fabric/weave Bluffworks uses strikes a reasonable balance between significantly more expensive pants and the junky polyester fabrics they used to make in the 80s/90s. I used to prefer wool and cotton over any synthetics, but the performance benefits (and the ability to sleep in my clothes and wake up presentable for work - yeah, my wife thinks I'm gross too) make up for any slight penalties in comfort. Of course, the devil's advocate in me wishes that they were cheaper, because - hey - they're just polyester pants.

I can only speak for my experience and preferences, but I was pleasantly surprised about how a polyester fabric can feel these days. YMMV!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    While another reply said they didn't find them itchy at all, I have found them to be slightly this way in the thighs. Part of this is totally my biology... I tend to be sensitive to itch, and have the same experience to a lesser degree with cotton or wool pants *when wearing for an extended amount of time* and I get slightly sweaty.

Polyester fibers seem just ever-so-slightly more "grabby" feeling. Cotton tends to be smooth and soft, wool "fuzzier" but not grabby. The poly in the Bluffs tends to be smooth and tightly woven, but I feel like once in a great while my leg hair gets snagged in the weave and it "catches" for a moment, leading to the itchy sensation. I do not find them itchy in general, only under certain circumstances and with longer wear. But FWIW, that's "sometimes", right?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast