Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pants.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I'd like to try on a pair of Bluffworks before buying any, but they do sound magical ... I have many years of polyester prejudice to overcome, though. The idea of being able to take an extended trip with one worn / one packed pair of pants sounds really good, though. Are they available only online?
    Yep, only available online.

It took me a couple of tries to find the right size, but returns and exchanges are painless: their customer service is really good. (You just re-use the same mailer bag the pants came in; for an exchange, they will send you a code for a replacement pair as soon as you provide the tracking number for the pair you are sending back.)

I had the same polyester prejudice to overcome. While the Bluffs may not feel as soft as a pair of cotton pants, I find them very light and comfortable and believe their 'pros' far outweigh their 'cons.'

I was also skeptical that they would be comfortable in the hot and humid climate in which I live, but I wear them daily now -- a couple pairs of Bluffs have replaced many pairs of perpetually-wrinkled khakis in my wardrobe.

Not having to worry about ironing is fantastic. And I love knowing that one pair can get me through a week of travel and come out on the other end still looking good.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squaredot View Post
    I'll chime in with a +1 on Bluffworks. The QC can be a little rough in a few spots, but overall I think they're a good purchase.

I've actually started wearing them for the majority of my work outfits - they look very much like dress clothing. I regularly pair them with casual tees to suit jackets. I wash them far less than my "regular" clothes, even day to day. They will wrinkle to a degree (I get the most behind the knee.)

I've been so happy with their performance that I'm taking 2 pair on a 2-week trip to Japan/Korea. It really lightens up my bag, and they wash easily and hang dry quickly, if you do that sort of thing.

Some of the nicer DWR-laden, beefy softshells are nicer and might feel a little more comfortable, but they're often 2x-3x the price.

As far as the all-polyester fabric: I am annoyed when they generate a ton more static, but I think they breathe decently for all poly fabric. I actually like the twill and color variation of the fabric. The dark grey is a nice charcoal heather, the tan is a little yellowish but has nice darker flecks, the navy is almost like a navy-black heather, velvet brown is an interesting shade (which I dig) but might not be everyone's thing. Some online photos make the light grey look kind of plasticy, but it isn't like that in person. The lighter gray is less natural, and probably my least favorite color out of the group (I don't have any in black). The light tan is less "flat" looking than the online pictures, and a little yellower. It can be a little bright next to some of the clothes I wear, but I'm picky about matching shades.

As far as QC issues, sizing was pretty good. I'm thinking more of finish - someone didn't watch seam allowances in the pockets, so fabric peeks through where it should be a finished seam (too much fabric!) Some of the stitching isn't as finished or as careful as mid-priced or better pants. I'm guessing that much of this has to do with the newness of the company. The finish wears off of the buttons because of my belt buckles, and I wish the button hardware was a little beefier. The buttons have a thin coating or anodization on them that will wear through. I kinda wish it was just non-coated metal.

I like the pockets. The left-hand front zip is a little weird for my phone (I always feel like I'm going to drag the phone screen across the zipper!) ... but I've adapted. I like the coin catcher and loop in the front right pocket. I don't use the cellphone pocket and haven't used the zip rear left yet. Pockets are a good size!

As far as weight, they're lighter than most of my dress pants and definitely lighter than jeans. They roll up very well. I wear 30"x32", but have a ~33" inseam. Rolling them up results in a cylinder that is roughly 3.5" diameter and 13" long. This is about 1/2 to 1/3 the volume and 2/3 to 1/2 the weight of jeans or cotton dress pants. Despite the size and difference, the pants feel like a pretty "normal" dress pant fabric weight. I like that they don't feel papery or weird.

Fit is good and seems to be true to a trim-fit size based on actual body measurements.

All said, I thought it was reasonable for the cost and features - even considering the QC issues. I usually pick them up when they're on special or have the preorder/restock price to save a few bucks. The wrinkles relax after some hanging, rolling up or folding. I've slept in them and woken up looking very presentable. I wish they'd make some shirts that hold up as well!

Excellent, comprehensive summary of the Bluffs, @squaredot!

I will add a couple personal observations:

Re: color, the Charcoal and Classic Grey have a really nice ‘heathered’ appearance that makes them look almost like wool dress pants. The True Black does not. The Navy has a little heathering, but it is hard to detect because the color is pretty dark. The Velvet Brown has it, too, but that color looks a lot less natural, IMHO, than the greys. (I am on the fence about Velvet Brown, because it looks more synthetic than the others.) Khaki is the only color I haven’t seen in person, so I can’t comment on it.)

Here's a photo of the True Black, Charcoal, and Velvet Brown side-by-side for color comparison.

Pants.-bluffs-jpg

Re: wrinkling, I get the same minor wrinkling behind the knee that you mention, but that’s about it.

Re: QC, yes, I have noticed a couple a few loose threads etc, but they haven't bugged me too much.

Re: sizing, they are definitely a trim, dressy cut. I can wear them with a dress shirt and tie, as well as with a tee or casual shirt. I did have to order slightly longer lengths than normal, but waist measurement seems in line with standard sizing.

Re: specials, I have never noticed any, aside from some nominal discounts on certain sizes when they are backordered. When Bluffs used to sell for $88, they would offer backordered sizes at $80, but there was often a wait of several weeks for them. Now, supply seems much better balanced with demand, and the retail price is $93. The last time I tried to order a size that was out of stock, I noticed the discount was just a buck — $92.

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three pair - navy, black and charcoal. I wish they would come out with another style - these are more "dress" slacks to me. Would love something more jeans-like with straight pockets.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I have three pair - navy, black and charcoal. I wish they would come out with another style - these are more "dress" slacks to me. Would love something more jeans-like with straight pockets.
    A recent email they sent out mentioned that a 'relaxed' version is in the works:

"In the last update I mentioned working on a relaxed fit. We did some deep soul searching on the fit, how it should be different from the regulars, and if the regulars should evolve. As a result, the relaxed has been slow to come to life. The schedule now calls for it to be released in May."

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sigh. I just want to email some of these companies and say: You know who else wears pants? Women.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    sigh. I just want to email some of these companies and say: You know who else wears pants? Women.
    Amen, amen, amen!!

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on here vouching for Outlier pants for quite some time. Always traveling with them--not travel-specific by any means, but build for everyday wear. Wrinkle-free, water-resistant, and super sharp looking. I mostly travel in 60/30 chinos, but I practically live in my Slim Dungarees (someone asked for a more casual straight-pocket styling, these might be worth considering). With spring finally here, I'm also a big advocate of their shorts. The Three Ways in particular (will be avail for sale soon), but also have good things to say about their newest shorts, then New Ways (priced a bit more friendly). I'm super happy to talk Outlier if anyone is interested in learning more, I've tried on and scrolled through practically every piece of Outlier material out there.

That being said, Outlier pants are pricey, so if you're looking closer to that $100 pricepoint, I don't have much bad to say about my Ministry of Supply Aviators. Super lightweight, and I love the waistline which catches shirts so they stay tucked in better. These are great pants and I wear them a lot in summer months.

Lastly, I recently tried on Bluffworks and was surprised that the all-poly didn't deter me as much as I thought it would. Comfortable and lightweight. Not as livable as the MOS or Outliers (I have no problem sleeping in my slim dungarees), but they definitely get the job done for the price point. My brother loves the back cell phone pocket too. Plus with zippers, you're definitely looking at a more travel-influenced pant, rather than MOS and Outlier which are just built for all day everyday wear.
    Last edited by platisc; 03-23-2015 at 09:59 AM.

San Pedro, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @platisc Thanks for the tips. Those Outlier pants look like a nice balance between "dressy" pants and versatile technical fabrics. My Bluffworks are my go to "work" pants, but I don't know if I'd bring them on my purely casual trips because they are a little too "office" for me.

These Outliers look like they fit my Casual Dressy style much better, especially for travel in Europe where I want to minimize the items I pack, don't want to look like a "tourist."

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    These Outliers look like they fit my Casual Dressy style much better, especially for travel in Europe where I want to minimize the items I pack, don't want to look like a "tourist."
    If the Bluffs are too office-dressy for you, I strongly advice looking into the Slim Dungarees (absolutely the first pair of Outliers I recommend purchasing). This question popped up in another thread so I just wanted to clarify my advocacy for Outlier over MoS or Bluffworks clearly, in a way that fellow Bihnions would understand. Much like Tom Bihn manages to do for backpacks, Outlier are the only pants that thrill me with every wear. They never fail, and they always look good. The Slim Dungarees still surprise me with the amount of abuse they can handle without showing it. I'm wearing mine now and can't even remember the hell they've been put through over a rather rowdy 25th birthday weekend, but they look and feel (and smell) ready for whatever life throws at me.

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: Outlier's products tend to get gobbled up quick. They operate from a small warehouse in Brooklyn and are constantly experimenting with new fabrics, so they don't buy or sell bulk. Right now Slim Dung options are pretty limited, with black being the only color available in lots of sizing options, but they restock their top sellers quite frequently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    10,000 Likes

Further depressing thought: A quote I just read describing what many companies do when they want to start designing for women after designing for men:

Shrink it and Pink it
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @K9TB - "Shrink it and Pink it" seems especially true in golf attire

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platisc View Post
    I've been on here vouching for Outlier pants for quite some time. Always traveling with them--not travel-specific by any means, but build for everyday wear. Wrinkle-free, water-resistant, and super sharp looking. I mostly travel in 60/30 chinos, but I practically live in my Slim Dungarees (someone asked for a more casual straight-pocket styling, these might be worth considering). With spring finally here, I'm also a big advocate of their shorts. The Three Ways in particular (will be avail for sale soon), but also have good things to say about their newest shorts, then New Ways (priced a bit more friendly). I'm super happy to talk Outlier if anyone is interested in learning more, I've tried on and scrolled through practically every piece of Outlier material out there.

That being said, Outlier pants are pricey.

Is this thread making anyone else feel impoverished?

The Outliers look nice.

While my current-day self would love to get a couple pairs of them, Future Me — you know, the wizened old grump who hopes to retire someday without needing food stamps to subsist on ramen — scowls unhappily down the Time Vortex at me for contemplating dropping $200 on a pair of casual pants.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 03-23-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great thread. I am learning a lot.

I have worn wool dress pants for work and either Dockers or Levi 501s for casual all my life and now that I am downsizing and minimizing I am finding pants are the most difficult item to find a good replacement for my trusty cotton.

I also have a prejudice against polyester having grown up in the early 70s but I know the material has evolved.

My main question is how do the pants discussed here perform with not holding odor? One thing I like about merino wool and bamboo fabric is their anti microbial properties. Anything can be spot treated to stay clean for weeks but you can't spot clean away body odor (is this too much info?) lol. I'm sure these new materials have odor resistant treatments but can someone with knowledge of the Bluff Works, MoS, and Outliers comment on how they compare to Marino wool in regards to lack of odor retention?

Thanks
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    Is this thread making anyone else feel impoverished?
    I remember how sick I felt the first time I pulled the trigger on a piece of Outlier gear. The reality is, everybody on these forums is here because in a world of uncertainty, having gear that you can depend on is invaluable. That's how I feel at least. I don't tell everybody that my pants cost as much as they do, because some people just don't understand. But these are the same people that would probably mock me for spending $200 on a bag... and then another ~$100 on storage accessories to put in it.

The good news when buying items at this price point is that your money's never totally gone. As with a TB bag, if years down the road your Outlier garment fails you, the team who designed and helped build the product will be there to make it right. I've heard stories of people falling off their bikes, putting a tiny hole in their pants, and the guys at Outlier--being so surprised that their fabric failed--giving them a brand new pair. This is common practice. Atleast with the aforementioned Slim Dungarees, "general wear and tear" doesn't even seem like a thing--I'm not sure what could happen that would change the construction of these pants, I seriously have so much faith in their durability.

There's also the other route, if you decide that you no longer want/need the specific garment you plunged your money into, eBay resale on such items is fantastic. I've worn, lived-in and loved a pair of Outliers for over a year, fluctuated an inch+ in my waist, and sold them for 65% original price. Could also be an option worth considering if you don't mind second-hand purchases and are trying to save some $.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast