Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Pants.

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I'm sure these new materials have odor resistant treatments but can someone with knowledge of the Bluff Works, MoS, and Outliers comment on how they compare to Marino wool in regards to lack of odor retention?
    Hey @nimikor, glad to help. Merino wool is great stuff, recently been getting on it for socks and undershirts. Outlier even made a line of some of their top-selling pants, lined with merino for extra warmth, this past winter. I cannot comment on the Bluffworks over time, but I can confidently say that I have zero odor issues with MoS pants or Outlier pants. I've gone ridiculously long lengths between washes for each, and have not even thought twice about it. I'm not exactly sure what antimicrobial treatments are put into the pants, but rest assured this is not the poly or nylon that my old ski pants are made of.

To directly answer your question, in my experience it's unfair to compare these tech-treated fabrics with merino wool. I don't own any merino wool pants, which is why I have to take this stance. Comparing undershirts, socks and underwear with pants (that are worn over antimicrobial drawers) seems unfair. Great as they are, my merino stuff still needs washing every ~3 consecutive wears, whereas I'll only wash my MoS/Outlier pants if they really call for it (sitting on dirty subways, working up multiple sweats inside them, etc.)
    Last edited by platisc; 03-23-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platisc View Post
    I remember how sick I felt the first time I pulled the trigger on a piece of Outlier gear. The reality is, everybody on these forums is here because in a world of uncertainty, having gear that you can depend on is invaluable. That's how I feel at least. I don't tell everybody that my pants cost as much as they do, because some people just don't understand. But these are the same people that would probably mock me for spending $200 on a bag... and then another ~$100 on storage accessories to put in it.

The good news when buying items at this price point is that your money's never totally gone. As with a TB bag, if years down the road your Outlier garment fails you, the team who designed and helped build the product will be there to make it right. I've heard stories of people falling off their bikes, putting a tiny hole in their pants, and the guys at Outlier--being so surprised that their fabric failed--giving them a brand new pair. This is common practice. Atleast with the aforementioned Slim Dungarees, "general wear and tear" doesn't even seem like a thing--I'm not sure what could happen that would change the construction of these pants, I seriously have so much faith in their durability.
    Well said, platisc.

Thanks for sharing!

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now Slim Dung options are pretty limited, with black being the only color available in lots of sizing options, but they restock their top sellers quite frequently.
    Does this mean you have to check their site daily? Or will they email you when your size is back in stock?
    --------------------------------

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Does this mean you have to check their site daily? Or will they email you when your size is back in stock?
    On the product page, right under "Purchase" there is a "click here to notify about restocks" button, which will sign you up to receive an email when stock is updated.

You can also test your luck on Thursdays, when they do their weekly restocks (returned items). That requires the traditional checking back for inventory updates via F5 or Command-Ring your afternoon away. Thankfully they do summarize the restock on their reddit page here , but by the time that post is created it can sometimes be too late. It's quite addicting, but definitely fun. Slim Dungs are generally referred to, even by the guys themselves, as the "one pant" to get from Outlier, so I really don't see the stock being this short for much longer.
    Last edited by platisc; 03-23-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed answer @platisc. I didn't think about that but the merino undergarments will provide good odor protection and allow the pants to be worn for quite a while between washings as long as the you rotate clean undergarments which are much easier to pack and wash while traveling.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the product page, right under "Purchase" there is a "click here to notify about restocks" button, which will sign you up to receive an email when stock is updated.

You can also test your luck on Thursdays, when they do their weekly restocks (returned items). That requires the traditional checking back for inventory updates via F5 or Command-Ring your afternoon away. Thankfully they do summarize the restock on their reddit page here , but by the time that post is created it can sometimes be too late. It's quite addicting, but definitely fun. Slim Dungs are generally referred to, even by the guys themselves, as the "one pant" to get from Outlier, so I really don't see the stock being this short for much longer.
    OK, So I like the way the Outliers look better than the Bluffworks, as far as the details. What I'm not sold on is that the product photos all look like hipster skinny pants to me. I'm not generally into the skinny pant look. I like straighter cut legs. Some taper is fine, but I don't want the "skinny" look, largely because I'm not really skinny and have found that too much of a taper on the leg makes me look even chunkier than I already am. I can't get a good sense of whether any of their pants are a little more like the cut I prefer. I'd be wearing them mostly for business casual and travel when I want to look nicer than jeans or purely technical hiking pants. My current favorite work pants are the Patagonia Duck Pants, FWIW. I'm also "short" at a 30" inseam, so that's it's own frustration with Outlier.

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    OK, So I like the way the Outliers look better than the Bluffworks, as far as the details. I'd be wearing them mostly for business casual and travel when I want to look nicer than jeans or purely technical hiking pants.
    Judging by this, I would point you in the direction of the Outlier New OGs. These are Outlier's Original Garment, the pants that started the movement. They use what's dubbed their OG fabric, which I have on a pair of shorts and the stuff is amazingly comfortable and dries super fast. You'll really have to try hard to wrinkle them, they rarely look out place, and as previously mentioned--unbelievably comfortable. Odor repellency is not even a thought either. These are one of two Outlier pant offerings that I think qualify as true business casual, the other being Outlier's 60/30 Chino, which may be a little too slim for your liking.

I will tell you right now that as good as the OG fabric is, it does have a weakness. That weakness is thorns and stubborn wood. Because of the fabric's 4-way stretch, it can snag. If this is really something that would make or break a potential buying decision, let me know and I will show u what a 1-year later snag looks like. It's not miserable, but it exists, and to some people having a single chink in the armor doesn't warrant a purchase.

And yes, it stinks that all their pants come long. I have to hem them too, to about 31" length. You'll laugh at the patterns as to how their stock dries up--size 28 and 29 waists go almost immediately. 6'5" skinny hipsters indeed...more power to 'em for saving on the hem job. Hope that helps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by this, I would point you in the direction of the Outlier New OGs. These are Outlier's Original Garment, the pants that started the movement. They use what's dubbed their OG fabric, which I have on a pair of shorts and the stuff is amazingly comfortable and dries super fast. You'll really have to try hard to wrinkle them, they rarely look out place, and as previously mentioned--unbelievably comfortable. Odor repellency is not even a thought either. These are one of two Outlier pant offerings that I think qualify as true business casual, the other being Outlier's 60/30 Chino, which may be a little too slim for your liking.

I will tell you right now that as good as the OG fabric is, it does have a weakness. That weakness is thorns and stubborn wood. Because of the fabric's 4-way stretch, it can snag. If this is really something that would make or break a potential buying decision, let me know and I will show u what a 1-year later snag looks like. It's not miserable, but it exists, and to some people having a single chink in the armor doesn't warrant a purchase.

And yes, it stinks that all their pants come long. I have to hem them too, to about 31" length. You'll laugh at the patterns as to how their stock dries up--size 28 and 29 waists go almost immediately. 6'5" skinny hipsters indeed...more power to 'em for saving on the hem job. Hope that helps.
    Thanks again for the detailed info. I'll keep an eye out for the OG in my size. Thankfully I'm far from being a 28 even at my absolute skinniest with little extra fat I wear 32-33.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up ordering three pairs of Outlier pants... This board is so bad for enabling spending! I will probably end up returning at least 1 pair if not more, but I figured I'd try out a few of the styles all at once. I went with same size for all three. I measured a couple pairs of pants that fit me nicely and that size looked like the closest match. I will be getting 1 pair each of the Slim Dungarees (Bluetint Gray), Futureworks (Flat Black), and the 60/30 Chino (Black). I would have preferred the navy Chino, but this gives me 2 black options to try to see which I prefer. The New OGs will still probably be the ideal pant for me, but they have nothing anywhere near my size right now.

I don't actually have any black pants right now, so I hope one of them will work with some of the dress shirts I have for when I'm working out in the public but don't need a suit.

Once I've been able to try these to see what I like, I may end up with a pair of Bluffworks as well. Enablers!

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I ended up ordering three pairs of Outlier pants... This board is so bad for enabling spending! I will probably end up returning at least 1 pair if not more, but I figured I'd try out a few of the styles all at once. I went with same size for all three. I measured a couple pairs of pants that fit me nicely and that size looked like the closest match. I will be getting 1 pair each of the Slim Dungarees (Bluetint Gray), Futureworks (Flat Black), and the 60/30 Chino (Black).

+1... I just did the same thing!

I went with the Slim Dungarees in Black and Futureworks in Deep Gray.

Will be curious to hear your impressions of the 60/30 Chinos -- that's the only other model I was considering.

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised you were able to find your sizes available on the site - their size selection is very sparse.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I am surprised you were able to find your sizes available on the site - their size selection is very sparse.
    It is definitely sparse and that's why I didn't end up with my ideal color. I'm a 36 though, so at the high end of their sizing. I also think I lucked out with a return or two that were loaded yesterday.

New York/Santorini
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlier needs to be paying me! So happy you guys ordered. @autolycus you'll have to report back with how you like the futureworks! I am obsessed with both my SDs and 60/30s, really amazing pants. Any questions, as always, feel free to ask. And I hope sizing works out for you--it can be a little with outlier given how uniquely each fabric responds

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pants and shorts from Eddie Bauer called their First Ascent Guide Pants/Shorts.

I've never worn any more comfortable or versatile and they look sharp enough. I wear them with a Better Button Down and they go just fine.

I want to try Outlier out but they simply never ever have my size...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4