Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Wichita, KS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boston off the beaten track?

Around the end of April I'll be going to Boston for 9 days. 5 of those are taken up with some software training, but I'll have a day on each end for some sightseeing.

I've been to Boston a fair number of times, so I've done most of the standard Boston tourist stuff (most of it more than once). I've walked the Freedom Trail a couple of times over, seen the USS Constitution and the Boston Tea Party ship replica, the Bunker Hill memorial, etc. I'd like to figure out some new things to do this time around. I love museums and historical stuff. Any suggestions for some of that stuff that's a bit more off the beaten track?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really off the beaten track, but have you seen the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum?
    If you will have a car, and are interested in history: might be fun to explore the Concord/Lexington area.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Wichita, KS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Not really off the beaten track, but have you seen the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum?
    If you will have a car, and are interested in history: might be fun to explore the Concord/Lexington area.
    No car on this trip, but I have been to Lexington and Concord in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion on the museum!

MA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April is a fantastic time to take in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It is a beautiful space that is infamous for the art theft that happened there 25 years ago. It is a great combination of art and horticulture.

If you're there after May 3 the SoWa Open Market @60 Harrison Ave in the South End is a good Sunday activity if you like food trucks, arts, and farmers goods.

You could check out Castle Island out in the Harbor. It's an old Civil War jail that has regular ferrys to and fro.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how accessible it is via T, but Fresh Pond in Cambridge is a beautiful place for a walk, if you want to find a little nature in the city. My best friend used to live nearby, and we'd take a walk there whenever I came to visit. I think the path that loops around the pond must be close to 2 miles.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swing by Flour Bakery for lots of delicious goodies. If you like secondhand bookshops, I highly recommend Commonwealth Books and Raven (I think one branch closed but there was one on Newbury last time I visited). There are other bookshops near Commonwealth Books too.

Also, if you have time to cab it up to the Longwood area (Gardner museum is near there) there are some really nice cafes near Brookline Booksmith at Coolidge Corner. I remember liking Otto Pizza but I am pretty easygoing about pizza. Enjoy your trip!

Natick, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could take the commuter rail out to Wellesley and check out the campus and the free art museum on campus- the Davis Museum. Davis has works by all the major artists and wonderful exhibits, entrance is free, and it is a short walk from the commuter rail to it. I am not sure why more people don't visit it but it is a hidden gem. Also, you can walk around Wellesley's Lake Waban on a nice day and get some beautiful camera shots. In addition, there is a well-labeled arboretum and botanical garden on campus that you can check out (free of charge) too. These would be fun to visit alone or with a family.

Good Eats: If you like cheese, I would recommend a stop off at Wasik's Cheese Shop, Wasik's, to get some delicious bites for a picnic on the grass. Tutto Italiano located on the same street makes delicious sandwiches too. For some stiff drinks and delicious eats (though pricey), you could stop off at Ming Tsai's restaurant, Blue Ginger. You don't need reservations at the bar or for lunch but you do need them for dinner.

PS- All of these spots are within walking distance of the commuter rail so you don't need a car.
    Last edited by nsh; 03-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, seconding the Lake Waban and Davis Museum recommendations! (I am an alum of said school)

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever do the Museum of Science on your previous trips? I don't know what's exhibiting now but there's always cool stuff to see there. You can take the green line, maybe combine it with a stop in the North End.

You could also check out the Waterworks Museum which is something like a 10 minute walk from the Cleveland Circle stop on the green line. If it's a nice day you can hang out around Cleveland Circle and/or the Chestnut Hill reservoir, which has a running/walking path of about 1.5 miles. And if you're feeling a little crazy you could go to Eagles Deli for one of their 6 lb. burgers. Wink

Forum Member
    Wichita, KS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did my trip last week and ended up visiting the Waterworks Museum, the New England Aquarium, the Harvard Museum of Natural History and the Peabody Museum. It was a great trip.

Toronto, ON Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also visit the NOT FOR TOURISTS website and click on Boston. You'll find a wealth of information about off the radar restaurants, places to visit etc. The reviews are by people who live in the chosen city and these listings usually aren't in the guide books. I've found them to be really useful and have discovered wonderful places to shop, eat, visit over the years

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add this to the great suggestions mentioned above: Forest Hills Cemetery in Jamaica Plain. It's a gorgeous place for a walk and picnic. Also, Arnold Arboretum and Jamaica Pond.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.