Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Detroit, Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Train trip to Seattle in July, Need tips!

I have received a scholarship to attend convention in Seattle from July 2-5th. I'm hoping to stay a day or two after the convention to enjoy Seattle, the holy land to a loyal Mariner's fan like myself. If possible I'll be staying till 8th early evening.

I'm taking train "Wolverine" (Dearborn to Chicago) & "Empire Builder" (Chicago to Seattle) because I have severe asthma and weak lungs to fly. My train trip starts June 30th and leave Seattle either 7th or 8th coming back to Dearborn in 9th - 11th.*

I'm thinking of taking Smart Alec & Medium Cafe Bag (which is in shipping!). I'm also thinking of getting scrubba wash bag, since its price had came down, in order to pack light. I'm 4'11", very small for a guy, so it's necessary for my packs to be light.*

I'm originally from Japan and been living in Detroit quite some time. While I grew up all parts of the world, Michigan is the longest place I've been in. I have a several questions and I appreciate any long train travel tips, on packing light tips and also want to know a bit about Seattle city ordinances.

Q1. Is Seattle safe for TLGB individual who is very small in statue to walk around after sunset? (I've been mugged and assaulted a few times in Detroit, when I was waiting for a bus after work. So I'm bit worrisome in unknown city).*

Q2. Are there gender neutral bathrooms in public places? Do I have to have a paperwork that says I'm T (FtM) to use bathroom of my gender identity, in case ppl accuse me of something else? *Is public bathroom safe to use for TLGB individual or is it better to hold it and use only of the place I'm staying?*

(I hope I didn't offend anyone with these questions, but as a TLGB individual, I learned better to be safe than sorry after.)

Q3. Do I need rain coats/umbrella in July? I prefer raincoats cuz my Mariner's umbrella is bit heavy and I'd rather not carry. Could anyone give suggestion to me on a brand of reusable & pack light rain coat or umbrella (if I must) *for 4'11" person? (I don't mind kids' brand) Do you know any rain cover I can put on for Smart Alec with top attachment?*

Q4.*What kind of clothing (top and bottom)? I want to know several brands that would be easy to dry but not too thin in material, since I'll be doing laundry on this trip. Also price is important, I'm on a tight budget due to having been let go from some of my clients cuz of my T status. (It's legal in MI to fire a person for being TLGB).*

Do I need long sleeve? (Is it cold in trains?) I'm thinking boy's size convertible pants and shorts but I'd like to know what is easy to dry and pack light.

Q5. How is public transportation system in Seattle? I go to Chicago often for conferences, and they have Ventra card that I can charge, and tap the card to get on their subway/bus. Is there something like that in Seattle?

Q6. I'm going to Mariner's game. Do I need to have clear bag? (I have tom bihn's 3D clear Organizer cube) or can I take my medium cafe bag to the games?

Q7. How far is Tom Bihn's store from the train station (Amtrak on King's Street)? Do you think I'd have time visiting on 7th or possibly on 8th?*

Q8. In the train "empire builder", I don't think they have shower. Is there wipes that you might suggest? Or shampoos/conditioner that don't require water? (I heard about these in Japan, but don't remember or know if we have it here in US)

Q9. Any other tips on packing light, place to see that are economically friendly?*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ludovicus, I don't have a ton of helpful information, but FWIW...

I've taken the Wolverine from Ann Arbor to Chicago many times. Just a word of caution - in my experience, the Wolverine almost always arrives late into Chicago. I've been delayed as much as two hours. Hopefully you can build a little cushion between your arrival into and departure from Chicago to avoid missing your connection.

I also traveled to/through Seattle last fall, taking a flight from Detroit to Portland, and then the Amtrak to Seattle, and ultimately to Vancouver. I traveled with the A30 and MCB (so, a similar capacity), and found that for a trip of that length I was able to pack for 8 days without needing to do laundry (I'm 5'5", wear a women's large). So it sounds like you picked good bags for the journey!

Q3 - while not a native, I've always heard that Seattleites prefer raincoats to umbrellas (and that if you're carrying an umbrella it's a sure sign that you're a tourist). I'm sure locals can comment on this, though Smilie
    kindness is contagious.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm super jealous you get to take the Empire Builder! I haven't been to Seattle recently, but I have some thoughts on some of your general inquiries.

1. It depends. Like all cities, there are parts of Seattle that aren't safe for anyone to walk around after dark. The most gay friendly part of the city is still Capitol Hill, I believe, and that's good because it's quite bustling at night.

2. I saw a few gender neutral bathrooms when I was last in Seattle so hopefully there are even more now. However, one unfortunate thing is that sometimes the gender neutral bathrooms are also labeled as "family bathrooms," which means you could get a dirty look if you go in by yourself without a kid or something. But whatever—anyone who plays bathroom police is pretty lame. I don't know about the paperwork, but my perspective: if you look like a guy and you go into the men's room, you will get less hassle than if you look like a guy and you go into the women's restroom. Ask me how I know...

3. A rain shell is always preferable to an umbrella, in my opinion, because it's so much more packable. You can get plastic ponchos and things on Amazon, but if you are looking for a real jacket and you fit into kids' sizes, check out the Marmot Precip jacket for kids. It's $65 and should last a good long time.

4. July is fairly warm but because Seattle has a maritime climate, there is always the possibility of rather strong breezes, rain, fog, and so on. Definitely have a pair of pants and some sort of light top in addition to the rain jacket. The convertible shorts you mention are a good idea if there's a day where both rain and sun are expected. Some quick dry things I can think of include anything by Ex Officio; Patagonia Baggies (shorts) and Capilene (polyester base layer insulation); technical workout shirts/shorts (like UnderArmour). If you could sort of explain what styles of clothes you prefer, that would be helpful since each of these brands has a definite "look." And yes, it could be cold on the train so bring layers.

7. The TB store is about 30 minutes away from the Amtrak station by bus. The 131/132 runs every 15 minutes and costs $2.50.

9. When I'm trying to travel extra light, I think carefully about accessories. Often, I will use plastic bags instead of cubes and pouches because they weigh a lot less. I would also suggest: take a Platypus bottle instead of a steel or plastic bottle (if you use one); wear solid, all-purpose shoes and only pack zori/slippers/flip flops if you need them; don't bring electronics if you can help it, since they weigh a lot; find out if your hotel/lodging supplies any toiletries, and if it does just use what they give you; have no more than three of each thing (for example, you wear one pair of socks and pack two).

Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Ludovicus:

I can help with Q8. When I used to work out on my lunch hour, and didn't have a chance to shower, I used wipes that I found at Wal-Mart. They were in the section near the adult diapers (such as Depends) and came in a package of something like 50. I think they did a good job and I always felt clean afterward.

As for the weather, my cousin lived in Seattle and said it does rain quite a lot and can be quite cool in summer (she would sometimes wear sweatshirts in summertime). I'm sure others can tell you more!

Your trip sounds very exciting! I have always wanted to take a train trip across the U.S. and to visit the Pacific Northwest.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question about trains - I've never been on one. I hope it's not too rude to ask how much it costs to take a train from Chicago to Seattle? I live in NE Ohio and haven't considered a train vacation.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ludovicus, I have no helpful answers, obviously: not living in the USA and never been to there in general or Seattle in particular.

Still I wanted to say things: I do deeply admire how openly you ask your questions even so I so much wish some of your questions where not necessary at all. And as I am wishing: I too wish, that you did not have had to make the experiences that made you cautious to ask them. I have never heard for example about gender-neutral bathrooms in my live. My thoughts: they might be helpful and they might be needed therefor. BUT a part of me thinks: cant everybody go there about their business where they like? (I am known to be a bit naive sometimes though).
    So this is about admiration and about feeling the urge to say: have a save and wonderful trip. Give a huge hallo to the people at Tom Bihn from me!

Here is the only helpful thing I can think of: did you read through this thread? Same destination with quite some "go-to"places in it: http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-...hlight=Seattle

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a bunch of wipes that I bought for a trip with unreliable shower facilities. I tried the brands "action wipes" and "shower pill", which both worked well (I liked action wipes better) and preferred the individually packaged ones. I've only taken 1 trip with the scrubba but it worked out well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lived in Seattle for close to two years now, so I'm not really at Seattle native status, but I think I can address some of your questions:

Q1. In my experience, Seattle is one of the safest places for TLGB people that I've been! Not to say that crime doesn't happen, but I've noticed that TLGB people are much more common here than in most other parts of the country (or, I suppose I should say, people are much more open here, at least), so I wouldn't be overly worried. That said, parts of downtown (notoriously, 3rd Ave & Pike St) have high crime at night, so I'd try to avoid that particular area after dark. Also, I've heard of some recent hate crimes (mostly verbal harassment) in Capitol Hill - sad because, as Badger mentioned, this has long been considered one of the more gay friendly neighborhoods, but I think it has to do with the uptick in popular bars (and thus unruly drunks). Don't let that scare you though, in general, Seattle feels very safe and friendly (I used to live in DC and while that's a great city, as a petite woman, I feel soooo much safer walking around Seattle).

Q2. I haven't seen many gender neutral bathrooms, but I think you typically shouldn't have problems regardless of which bathroom you choose - as I mentioned above, there's a fair amount of visibility for TLGB people here, so people are a little more aware and sensitive to that sort of thing and not likely to start policing gender in a public place. In single stall situations, I've used the men's when the women's was occupied (why do they even bother with labeling these by gender??) and never had anyone say anything upon seeing me exit. Of course, YMMV, and you'll have to judge based on the individual situation, but I'd guess that at a typical coffee shop, restaurant, etc, you shouldn't have any issues. (As a side note to both, I'm so sorry you've encountered such issues in the past, people can be so ignorant/cruel!)

Q3. Honestly, you probably don't need a rain coat or umbrella in July in Seattle - it's pretty dry here in the summer. Here are some numbers, if you're interested: Seattle Monthly Averages and Records | seattle.gov On average, there are only 5 days of rain in July, adding up to only a total of 0.79 inches of rain. That said, there's always the possibility of a drizzly day (it's not often intense rain, much more likely a drizzle), so packing a rain coat as a just-in-case measure wouldn't be a horrible idea, if you want to be sure you can be walking out and about no matter what. Just be prepared not to use it Smilie As for a rain cover for your Smart Alec, that's definitely not necessary - I walk ~1.5 miles to work (each way) every day with my S19 and haven't had any issues when walking in even somewhat heavier rain - those YKK zippers really do their job!

Q4. For Seattle in July, I'd recommend one pair of pants, one pair of shorts, a few t-shirts, one or two button-ups/long sleeve, and a sweater (of course, you can add extras of any of those, if you have the space, or bring convertible pants/shorts instead of separate ones). Most days, you'll likely be most comfortable in pants and a t-shirt, but it might get hot enough to want the shorts, and it can cool down a bit at night, so having a long-sleeve shirt, button-up, or sweater to throw over your t-shirt will be welcome. You can typically expect highs around 75 F and lows around 55 F. Very pleasant weather! People dress pretty casually here so no need to bring anything fancy. Not sure on brands to recommend - merino wool (Icebreaker and Ibex, in particular) is great but definitely pricey - if you keep an eye on discount sites like Backcountry, Moosejaw, and Sierra Trading Post, you may be able to find some more reasonably priced t-shirts (probably still ~$30 or so though). You may have seen others on here talking about their love of merino wool - it resists stink much better than cotton, doesn't really wrinkle, and dries quite fast, so it's ideal for travel (I'm kind of a stinky person, and I can usually get three days of wear out of my merino shirts).

Q5. You can get an Orca card for buses and light rail in Seattle, which is like the Ventra card. Buses are quite good, depending on where you want to go (if you have a smartphone, I highly recommend the "one bus away" app which uses GPS to tell you when the next bus is coming to a stop).

Q9. There's a ton of advice on packing light on this forum - as the trip approaches, I recommend posting a tentative packing list here, and you'll be sure to get some feedback on how to best lighten your load, if needed, and also how to keep things organized and well-packed! As for good cheap places to visit in Seattle, it all depends on where exactly you'll be and what you're interested in - there are lots of great parks, so that's a good free activity (and can make for a nice, cheap picnic lunch, with some food from the grocery store), and I forget exactly the price, but I remember it being somewhat reasonable to rent a bike for a day, which will allow you explore a bit further than you could on foot (the Burke Gilman trail is really nice for biking and can take you to lots of great places).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q5. How is public transportation system in Seattle? I go to Chicago often for conferences, and they have Ventra card that I can charge, and tap the card to get on their subway/bus. Is there something like that in Seattle?

The tap card in Seattle is called the Orca Card

https://www.orcacard.com/ERG-Seattle/p1_001.do

List of transit station where you can buy an Orca Card (King Transit Station= Amtrak) is included.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Document...a/TVM_list.pdf

I used King County trip planning and got two options for directions, one is a short trip but has a significant amount of walking (shown below) and the other is a ridiculously long trip. You might prefer using Google Transit and wait for residents of the Seattle area to chime in.

Trip Planning

Option 1
    Leaving at 2:08p
    7 min
    Option 2
    Leaving at 12:23p
    120 min

Your trip for Today, April 20, 2015

0 transfer

Walk to the first stop: Walk a short distance N on 3rd Ave S. Bear left on 2nd Ave Ext S. Walk approx. 1 block NW on 2nd Ave Ext S. Walk straight on 2nd Ave. Walk approx. 2 blocks NW on a significant grade on 2nd Ave.

Step 122 HIGHLINE COLLEGE

Leaving at 2:08p
    At Stop: 2nd Ave & Marion St (SB)

Step On 122 HIGHLINE COLLEGE

Arriving at 2:15p
    At Stop: East Marginal Way S & S Hudson St (SB)

Walk to your destination: Walk approx. 1 block S on East Marginal Way S. Turn left on S Hudson St. Walk a short distance E on S Hudson St. Turn left on Ohio Ave S. Walk approx. 1 block N on Ohio Ave S.

To: 4750 OHIO AVE S

Trip Cost Time & Walking Distance:
    7 min, 0.64 miles

Trip Cost Adult cash fare: $2.50

There is another way to get there that was shared by The Crew (the people at Tom Bihn)

First you get to SODO station:

Via rail:

Walk to the first stop: Walk a short distance E on S Jackson St. Turn right on 2nd Ave Ext S. Walk a short distance SE on 2nd Ave Ext S. Bear right on 4th Ave S. Walk a short distance S on 4th Ave S. Turn left on Pedestrian Walk. Walk a short distance E on Pedestrian Walk. Bear left on Pedestrian Stai. Walk a short distance E on Pedestrian Stai.

Step 150 KENT

At Stop: Intl District Chinatown Station Bay C

Step On 150 KENT

Arriving at 12:27p
    At Stop: Sodo Busway & S Lander St (SB)

Walk to your destination: Walk approx. 1 block N on Sodo Busway Acrd. Walk straight on Pedestrian Walk. Walk a short distance E on Pedestrian Walk.

To: SODO Link Light Rail Station

4 min, 0.28 miles

Your trip for Today, April 20, 2015

0 transfer

Or

Via Bus:

Walk to the first stop: Walk approx. 1 block N on 3rd Ave S.

Step 131 BURIEN TRANSIT CENTER

At Stop: 3rd Ave S & S Main St (SB)

Step On 131 BURIEN TRANSIT CENTER

Arriving at 12:30p
    At Stop: 4th Ave S & S Lander St (SB)

Walk to your destination: Walk a short distance N on 4th Ave S. Turn right on S Lander St. Walk approx. 1 block E on S Lander St. Turn left on Sodo Busway Acrd. Walk a short distance N on Sodo Busway Acrd. Walk straight on Pedestrian Walk. Walk a short distance E on Pedestrian Walk.

To: SODO Link Light Rail Station

7 min, 0.23 miles

I did an half train/ half bus trip, I took the 131 from SODO to get to the TB store.
    From 4th Ave S & S Dawson St, it is a to 1st ave it is a 3 flat block walk in an industrial area, then 2 block north to Hudson street then turn left and walk two blocks (one short) to S Ohio st.

There is a long line of cheerily painted warehouses, Tom Bihn's is the first yellow one.

I did the walk from the bus stop to the store and it is best to pace yourself.
    However, it was before the city built pedestrian walkway.

Sorry for the long post, trying to be helpful.

Of course, by the time I post, there are much more reliable and informed forum members who responded.

Do you have sensitivities to any fibers, that could help ruling out some brands.

Let me add that I am sorry for the rude treatment you received, some people are ignorants.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-20-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    I have a question about trains - I've never been on one. I hope it's not too rude to ask how much it costs to take a train from Chicago to Seattle? I live in NE Ohio and haven't considered a train vacation.
    It depends on the accommodation one chooses, date of travel, possibility of discount, etc...

Empire Builder Train - Chicago - Big Sky Country - Pacific Northwest | Amtrak

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I will have to have help with this!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my local TJ Maxx store, I found the men's Marmot Precip on sale for $39 this past weekend.

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In July, I wouldn't bother with rain preparation, really Smilie It's rare, and you could allocate some money for the risk, rather than carry more than you want just-in-case. There might be an occasional quick sprinkle or even shower, but you could probably duck into shelter easily -- a sign to visit a coffee shop Wink If you really want to, though, my advice would be the same as badgers -- a Marmot Precip jacket travels with me most of the time now. Layers well, packs small, unobtrusive. My ex-girlfriend and I thought it was funny that we quite independently ended up with identical (save for size) jackets, both happy with them.

Can't speak to most of your specific concerns, but you might find my Seattle guide helpful:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...xBOf1xURA/edit

It's getting out of date, but I hope to correct that more soon; suggestions / update ideas welcome!

Have a good time -- truly one of the greatest cities on earth.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this dry shampoo, and it comes in a small travel size. It seems expensive, but you need so little that it lasts forever. Also, since it can make your scalp look a little powdery even after brushing, I've heard it recommended to put some cocoa powder in to make it blend better (I haven't tried that; I just try to put little puffs onto my hair and keep it off my scalp as much as possible).

http://http://www.sephora.com/pret-a-powder-P384541?skuId=1562859

Have a great trip; I truly hope Seattle lives up to its reputation as TG friendly and accepting. We all deserve the opportunity to be the people we are.

Detroit, Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bermudajes Thank you for the train tip. I've been using "wolverine" (Dearborn-Chicago) quite often since November of 2013. I agree about the tardiness of the train, although I've been having better luck than you, it seems. (I get 50/50 chances of lateness. But when it's late I know it's gonna be hours before I can get there!) Thank you for reminding me to have cushion time! 8 days worth of clothing?! Wow, you must be a pro at it! I love smart alec, I also have a brainbag if I need to go a bit large, but I prefer SA most of the times. It's my go to bag.

@Badger Thank you for taking your time to comment. And thank you for additional term of "Family bathroom". I'm still very early into transition and so I look like a boy / gender neutral. Hopefully people won't mind me using guy's bathroom. For clothing, I'm completely colorblind and because of my height I am limited of fashions that's available. I usually wear jeans and T shirts and Shirts with buttons (but I often leave it open if it's hot), T shirts and Mariner's Jersey or Redwings (depending on the season), or if I go to business meeting then I just wear suit. I like hoodies too, but I wear hoodie in winter time. I want to look sporty casual and I don't want to look too obviously visitors. Thank you so much for packing light tips. I wear Nike sneakers, so I'm definitely wearing that (I think it's bright blue but not sure) and also thinking about getting foldable traveling slippers, cuz I want to relax my feet in the long train ride. I will share Empire Builder train experience with you after my journey!

@ladyinblack1964 Thank you for the cleaning tip! I'm definitely going to get the wipes from super stores around here. Thank you for letting me know it might get cool. I'm usually the one that's easily to get hot, but I'll try to stick in a light hoodie to go, in case of strong winds and cool weather. Smilie

@marytattoo Let me get back to you on the pricing as soon as I reserve my tickets. I like train trips, because first of all I can't fly due to my lung problems. But also because there are no hassle getting in to the train. Their Coach seat is pretty generously spacious on the long train ride. I carry inflatable seat cushion, because I'm short and sometimes seat isn't high enough for me to see out the beautiful scenery. It also gives you a cushion, so your tail bone won't hurt by bumpy road if your train encounters.

@Ilkyway Thank you for your kind comments. I didn't know anyone living in Seattle area and I don't have family to ask. So the first thing came to my mind was the forum community of Tom Bihn's. I just felt I can trust this community. Smilie

@viewsnortheast Thank you for the brand on the wipes! I'm definitely look for those! I saw youtube video of folks doing laundry inside their long train ride. And I'm like I want to bring it, so I don't have to pack too much of clothing, which means more souvenirs from Mariners & Seahawks! Smilie

@ClaireJ Thank you so much for taking your time to answer many of my questions! Thank you especially for the clothing tips! I didn't know Seattle's weather. So, definitely bringing long sleeve shirts. The Merino Wool, I've heard all the good thing about it. I didn't know it resist to stink! When I see on sale, even $30ish I think I want to have at least a couple! So Thank you so much for letting me know. Also thank you about bike renting! I don't see it here in Detroit, so I didn't even think of such a thing existed!

@backpack Thank you so much for directions! I'm definitely getting ORCA card! I don't think I have sensitivities to fabrics. I don't like the scratchy wool, because that gets me itchy. I get hot easily and I might sweat if it's too hot. (Since my body is now transformed into more of Michigander's, By my hot means anything above 40 seems hot right now. (but then, may be just because we had cold winter, too!) I was wearing short today for the first time this year and it was about 39-55. Smilie

@Rooster Thank you for the sale tip! I'm going to look online and see if I can get good deals!

@timothy Thank you for the jacket tip! I'm so excited to finally be able to go to Seattle!

@Bljouxandbeads thank you so much on dry shampoo and the link to get it. I'm definitely getting one. I have dark & thick black hair as most Japanese folks do. And because it's black, it keeps heat from the sun and so I sweat a lot from my head. So I'm definitely wanting to wash the hair each day during the train ride, so my hair won't be too gross! Smilie

To All the Tom Bihn Forum community,
    Thank you all so much with helping me with great tips. Thank you all for being so kind. I hope I'd get to meet Tom Bihn crews when I visit them! I hope I can thank whoever that does the box arts! Since I've been asking a lot about "Something Mariners or Something Redwings!" depending on the seasons of the sports. And they have done so amazing job!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast