Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four-Day Philadelphia Weekend Trip...must-sees and free things to do?

Hi, all! My husband, adult daughter and I will be in Philly this weekend for a series of concerts at the TLA. We're looking for inexpensive things to do during the days! So far we've only put the Liberty Bell, the Italian Market, Chinatown and the Pat's vs Geno's cheesesteak taste test on the list. Any other fun things to do? We will have our car, and probably wouldn't mind a drive outside of the city also.

And restaurants or sites we should make sure we don't miss?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there was another question about Philly a few months ago - that thread also should have some good recommendations. I lived in Philly for 8 years and it is a great city that is easy to navigate. My suggestions:
    - Rodin Sculpture Museum and Philadelphia Art Museum, both on Kennedy Drive
    - Reading Terminal Market, near City Hall and Avenue of the Arts - if you don't get to Pat's or Geno's, you can try steaks (cheesesteaks) here too, plus have a tasty breakfast, specialty foods, deli cuts, fresh pasta, or Amish wares. Highly recommend the Cookbook Stall (I hope it is still in business)
    - the University of Pennsylvania and many other campuses are in Philly. Penn is beautiful and worth walking around - some nice photo opportunities include the Broken Button statue and the Love statue (like the postage stamp). Also a very nice bench with a statue of Ben Franklin.

Have a wonderful time! Enjoy the concerts.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll search that other thread when I get home from work, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the Quaker Meeting House and the Betsy Ross House. I was there for a conference, though, so mostly I just walked in the evenings and inhaled the atmosphere. I found it strangely hard to find a non-bar place to sit and read at night, but gelato places did well enough. I really wanted a late-night coffee house, though. If you like pottery, The Clay Studio has a small but fine shop and gallery.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A close friend of mine lives in Philly. She recently told me about a Japanese structure in Fairmont Park. I've never been to the park but have seen photos and it looks beautiful.

Forum Member
    Wichita, KS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but my favorite thing to see in Philadelphia was the USS Olympia (Admiral Dewy's flagship at the Battle of Manilla Bay during the Spanish American War).

Forum Member
    Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) http://forums.tombihn.com/packing-li...html#post84619

2) In that same thread, GoStanford mentiones the Muetter Museum (not free, but *worth it* IMO; you might be able to tell by glancing online whether it's your cup of tea, but ... if you're on the fence, I'd highly recommend it), and the Art Museum, both really good picks.

I'd also recommend the Reading Terminal Market. The Museum of the Constitution is pretty neat, but I've been there only once and long ago, so don't take too much of my word on that. I never did visit the Philadelphia Mint, but I'd like to.

Phily's a great food town -- some great middle-eastern places, good pizza, you're-stuffed-for-days Italian ...

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @timothy, I forgot about the Mutter! That is definitely something we can justify spending money on. Isn't Einstein's brain there? (In slides from his autopsy?)

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not free, but I can highly recommend the Mural Mile walking tours. It was a highlight of my last trip there.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for restaurants, pizza brain / little baby's ice cream (they are attached to one another) and little pete's diner are among my favorites!

also, schlesinger's deli: Schlesingers (two words: PICKLE BAR!)

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four-Day Philadelphia Weekend Trip...must-sees and free things to do?

We had a BLAST in Philly this weekend! A few pics...we did many of the recommended things from this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That photo of the menu with your TB bag is perfect! elisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philly cheese steak! And those pretzels!! *drool* Glad you had fun.