Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpected one bagging result

I'm new to the idea of one bagging.
    Since I'm reading this forum I'm hooked and try to size down what I take with me.
    I also talked about this great way to travel.

The result is not quite what I expected. It's the second trip now, that all I take is the A45 and one "personal item". Doesn't sound minimalistic?
    Well, the A45 also holds the stuff of my boyfriend. Minus what he has in his personal item.
    So, I'm still struggling to get everything in one bag, which is still quite heavy, but now it's not all my stuff. Somehow I thought this would work out different.

Did you have any unexpected reactions from your partner or family?

During the last trip I found out why I love the idea of lightweight travel so much.
    My parents are an amazing example of the opposite. They pack their whole car full for a one week trip. It's amazing to watch.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolpertinger, being a light packer for oneself, let alone attempting 2-in-1 packing, is a process of continuous honing. It sounds like you were quite successful!! It's rare to get it 'right' on the first try, as each trip has its own conditions and needs which will influence the end result so the fact that your bag is so heavy to me is just one step in the process (meaning you'll lighten it each time you pack).

I travel internationally a few times a year as well as domestically and each time I learn something new about my own wants vs. needs. For example, last year I packed the A30 for 14 days in Italy (multiple cities, bus/train/walking) and it worked well but I still wished I had had a bit more room for gifts and such. I just bought an A45 to test pack for an upcoming 2.5 week trip (combo business/pleasure) to Iceland and Norway. It's clearly more space than I need but I like that it will be partially empty on the outbound leg (versus my A30 which was pretty densely packed). I'm practice packing now and will determine soon if the A45 or A30 will go on this trip. Like you, I also take a personal item (purse for me or maybe the PU for the first time).

As for people's reactions, people are surprised to see such a small bag (e.g., A30)! As for your parents, I can't say I disagree with their packing style, as I focus my light/ultralight packing for trips involving flights and trains (anything non-car based). When I drive, I also pack pretty much anything and everything because I don't have to worry about weight limits or size restrictions and, most importantly, I don't have to carry that stuff on my back!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with holly about each trip having its own needs. While my mom (85) and I travel by car, we don't pack as much as in years past. We usually travel to the same place now, we know what we will do, and progress - such as ereaders - lightens the load. On the other hand, we both are on medications, and if we were flying we'd need a bag just for the prescription bottles!

When my dad was alive and before his stroke, he traveled with an arsenal of art supplies because he was an artist and painted on our travels. When he and my mom flew somewhere, he paired his art supplies down a lot, but still needed extra baggage. Of course, those were the days where extra baggage wasn't so expensive. And finally, one's size also determines one's packing. Larger sized clothes are heavier and also take up more room. The icebreaker clothes mentioned here don't come in my size, for example, so there goes that option.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holly, thanks for your response.
    At first I thought, I could use a smaller pack, like the S25 for all my stuff, so there is no need for me to drag such a heavy pack around.
    I was quite surprised, when I ended up to pack for both of us in one back and so I had to go back to the A45.
    But you are right, it is already way better than before. :-)

My parents may pack the way they like it, only driving with them in the full car was a little uncomfortable. ;-) It's just that I watch them and know, that I don't want to travel like that anymore.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Äm... Is it awfully impolite to ask WHY you are schlepping two bags and he just one?

Well whatever the reason: I think it IS impressive that you two managed with one carry on and two personal items. Didn't you feel smugg to walk past all the people wayting for there luggage?
    I am a work in progress too but some of the huge suitcases that are around (that I was admitadly jellous of in a pre Tom Bihn life) now look like small house to me.

Or very shortly put: hang in there!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not impolite.
    This trip, I started at home and he came from his work, so naturally I get the bag till we meet.
    Here is the point: with one heavy bag, only one person has to carry the weight. Of corse we switch the bag.

A big YES: seeing other people with huge luggage I'm so happy I don't have to carry that much around. :-)

Thanks Ilkyway

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started to learn one bagging last 2 year. My (my wife and I, our) first was to Taiwan. Since I'm a male, I absolutely agree to bag the most heaviest - my A45. While, my wife just bag a backpack, which she already feel "quite heavy". But what importance is we both agree to do as minimalist trip, no roller luggage. Like @Holly wrote, going through the want & need together. There is definitely frustration for the first time. Again, what importance is we both understand and had agreed.

It is also true like @Holly shared. We didn't really pack very well for the first time. We found out that we "still" bring more clothing than we actually wear. Trip after trips, we learned from experience. I set a Packing Target for us to try to bring our load to the minimal to fit the targeted bag. Like our last trip, though it is really a short trip 3D2N - we managed to pack all into 1 Smart Alec, 1 DLBP while personal items are in either PCSB or Shop Bag. It is an accomplishment, but surprisingly I still found myself pack more than needed, though the margin for redundancy is lesser. While for my wife, it is understandable that Ladies usually pack more.

We had another short trip in October by flight - 4D3N, just one more day longer. I really hope I still could use a similar Bag Combo: 1 Smart Alec + 1 DLBP, while Personal Items either PCSB/Cafe Bag/Shop Bag.

Hopefully, this is helpful to you.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Well whatever the reason: I think it IS impressive that you two managed with one carry on and two personal items. Didn't you feel smugg to walk past all the people wayting for there luggage?

Ilkyway
    Yes. This. Although I two-bagged it (A30/DLBC), it was fantastic to pass all the people in the jetway, waiting for their roller bags, to get on my way to pass through customs/immigration. While I was in the middle of the plane, I was actually the first one from my flight to get in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with 2 Brain Bags, one for each of us, husband and I for casual vacations in the U.S

One extra pair of shoe size 11 or 12 can be added to one of the compartments for him, if there is a need to dress up. Casual clothes can be minimized, especially Tees, which can be bought at the destination, if the need arises.

I only bring one pair of comfortable, stylish shoes and slippers, the slippers fit one of the side pocket of the Brain Bag. Semi formal gear can be transported in the BB, if one uses a light jacket and thin pants made of polyester fabric (microfiber) or silk but beware of wrinkle with the latter, you could spend a non-negligible amount of time ironing the items.

In order to accommodate overseas luggage weight requirement, I bought a Tristar and an A45, again with those two, one pair of comfortable, stylish shoes is all that is needed.

There is the possibility of being splashed from the water send by a speeding car hitting a puddle, there are unexpected downpour in hot climates as well as mud everywhere, in the spring or autumn.

On these rare cases, clothing and shoe production worldwide standardization, a replacement can usually be found.
    Mishaps like this, when they occur in world famous fashionable cities are just a great way to upgrade the wardrobe.

I'll be more worried about my TB bags.

In general, postcards are a great way to remember the vistas and include in a travel journal.

Most places have locally made fabric art, fabric or yarn which are lightweight and easy to transport.
    The same can be said for jewellery.
    Heavy items, such as glass, pottery... can usually be shipped by the producer.

The trick of switching from pack mule to TB stealth is to forget about the what ifs, pack lightweight clothes that can be layered, color coordinated and worn multiple times as well as getting into the habit of hand washing foundation garments every evening or pack and loose ratty ones.
    Don't skip on a sleeping/lounging garment, extreme weather and other kind of emergency situations can force one to spend time in the hotel basement, lobby or outside.

Even with weight restrictions, I am definitely a Packing Cubes, TB accessories person. After a long trip, even if the destination, the hotel or the host place is familiar, it is really nice to pull the right Packing Cube and find neatly folded nice clothes for dinner, a pair of pj or workout clothes, or the toiletry Cube or Kit to freshen up or getting ready for a peaceful evening with local snacks, a good book and a sleepy or, not so sleepy partner, or a family ready for some card games and eager to plan for the next day.

My last road trip, I took more hobby stuff than I used, lesson learned (stick with the usual mini needlework project no bigger than a 3D Cube).

Tom is right, the lighter one pack, the happier one is.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-10-2015 at 03:30 PM.