Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nigeria and London, take II

Heading for Nigeria once again, at the end of this week, and once again I have planned a stopover of about seven hours in London on the way home. (On a similar trip earlier this year, the London stopover never happened due to my flight itinerary being changed at the last minute, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out this time.)

One of these lovely Nordic pieces will come with me, to hold my toiletries and a few changes of clothes. I'll also take my computer and work materials in a Daylight Briefcase.

Nigeria and London, take II-img_3045-jpg

This being a work trip, I'll also check a small suitcase. I usually do this, but my bugaboo is that I break down right before the flight and try to cram everything in my carryon, on the (almost always) incorrect assumption that my luggage will get lost. I'd like to be more organized and rational this time, so I am not weighed down with unnecessary stuff. My preliminary packing list:

Daylight Briefcase:
    Macbook Air and charger
    iPhone and charger
    Kindle
    Side Effect with wallet, tiny flashlight, lip balm, money, USB stick, passport, yellow fever card, etc
    socks for the plane
    case for my glasses
    earphones
    eye shades

Backpack (Synapse 19 or Smart Alec):
    basic toiletries
    1 change of casual clothes (since I'll be wearing one set)
    2 changes of professional clothes
    drybag and laundry soap, for clothes washing
    pack towel, for clothes drying
    VIA packs for my morning coffee
    vitamins
    anti-malarials and other meds
    immersion heater
    Jackery charger
    surge protector and add'l chargers
    jacket or sweater for plane

Checked Suitcase:
    any extra clothes for the week, and sneakers, which I'll wear on the trip home
    any extra toiletries
    sunscreen and insect repellent
    maybe, just maybe, some little bottles of liquor*

It was @Badger's "portable bar" post that gave me this idea. Alcohol in the hotels we stay at is quite expensive, and of course, not reimbursable, and Nigeria is the one place that I often feel I really need a shot of something at the end of the day.

If I expect to have the stopover in London on the way home, I will try to consolidate to one backpack, putting the empty Daylight Briefcase in my checked bag. I figure that having just one bag will be a lot more pleasant for walking around. I don't need to carry any "presentation-quality" clothes with me on the way back, just a few spare things in case the flight gets delayed.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-13-2015 at 08:57 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Heading for Nigeria once again, at the end of this week, and once again I have planned a stopover of about seven hours in London on the way home. (On a similar trip earlier this year, the London stopover never happened due to my flight itinerary being changed at the last minute, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out this time.)

One of these lovely Nordic pieces will come with me, to hold my toiletries and a few changes of clothes. I'll also take my computer and work materials in a Daylight Briefcase.

Nigeria and London, take II-img_3045-jpg

This being a work trip, I'll also check a small suitcase. I usually do this, but my bugaboo is that I break down right before the flight and try to cram everything in my carryon, on the (almost always) incorrect assumption that my luggage will get lost. I'd like to be more organized and rational this time, so I am not weighed down with unnecessary stuff. My preliminary packing list:

Daylight Briefcase:
    Macbook Air and charger
    iPhone and charger
    Kindle
    Side Effect with wallet, tiny flashlight, lip balm, money, USB stick, passport, yellow fever card, etc
    socks for the plane
    case for my glasses
    earphones
    eye shades

basic toiletries
    vitamins
    anti-malarials and other meds
    immersion heater
    Jackery charger
    surge protector and add'l chargers
    jacket or sweater for plane

Checked Suitcase:
    any extra clothes for the week, and sneakers, which I'll wear on the trip home
    any extra toiletries
    sunscreen and insect repellent
    maybe, just maybe, some little bottles of liquor*

It was @Badger's "portable bar" post that gave me this idea. Alcohol in the hotels we stay at is quite expensive, and of course, not reimbursable, and Nigeria is the one place that I often feel I really need a shot of something at the end of the day.

If I expect to have the stopover in London on the way home, I will try to consolidate to one backpack, putting the empty Daylight Briefcase in my checked bag. I figure that having just one bag will be a lot more pleasant for walking around. I don't need to carry any "presentation-quality" clothes with me on the way back, just a few spare things in case the flight gets delayed.
    So, exactly what do you do that you travel so much? And can you really fit a change of casual clothes and 2 changes of professional clothes in an S19? Are you going to see if any London Bihnites want to meet up? Just wondering. At least it seems you'll be home for the great reveal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know! Are you in oil? telecomm?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know! Are you in oil? telecomm?
    Public health. I'm not sure that the time is sufficient for a meet-up, and there is always a good chance that my travel plans will change.

I don't actually travel for work very much any more. The two trips I'm taking this year are a departure from the norm.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, you get to see very different places.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basic toiletries
    vitamins
    Dry bag for laundry- is this the same kind of dry bag I stuff everything in when I go kayaking to keep it dry? Do you use it like a wash bucket? Or is this some other interesting travel product?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same dry bag as for kayaking. I realized last year that if it will keep water out, it will also keep water in. I have a smallish, thin bag that rolls up well inside my suitcase. It doesn't have all the fancier features of products that are dedicated to this purpose, but it costs about $15. I have found that filling it with soap, water and clothes, and agitating by hand before doing a few rinses, seems to get them clean enough.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-13-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Public health. I'm not sure that the time is sufficient for a meet-up, and there is always a good chance that my travel plans will change.

I don't actually travel for work very much any more. The two trips I'm taking this year are a departure from the norm.
    Thanks for sharing! I realized too late that we were pressuring you to share personal info which is your decision. I hope the request didn't bother you Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Londoners and world travelers: this question may get lost in the flurry of today's announcements, but I should ask: Is there any practical difference between the Synapse 19 and Smart Alec as a bag for walking around London? I think that in my last minute packing I will make a choice between these two. Obviously the smaller Synapse is preferable, but would the SA be a problem? I will most likely hit the tube at rush hour, at least in the morning. I know from the Boston subway that wearing a large bag can be awkward and annoying. I plan to visit at least the Tower of London and do some sightseeing, as well as getting a lunch.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplain, the Tower of London is not far from the Borough Market. Cross the River Thames using the London Bridge and you'll be very close. It is, hands down, the best place for lunch in the city. Lots of vendors selling yummy stuff, plus fresh meals. And a great gelato place too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quoting my earlier post here:

This being a work trip, I'll also check a small suitcase. I usually do this, but my bugaboo is that I break down right before the flight and try to cram everything in my carryon, on the (almost always) incorrect assumption that my luggage will get lost.
    And guess what? I got to Lagos and... my suitcase wasn't there! It was interesting experience having to live out of my backpack for the next few days. I was mostly ok, but REALLY wished I'd put in more than one spare shirt. As an fyi, merino shirts can be washed, and if you really wring them out, damp but wearable the next day.

Glad to have it back. It was a useful exercise in refining what to put in the "emergency" bag.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my goodness, bet you couldn't believe it! Glad you've got it back now.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quoting my earlier post here:

And guess what? I got to Lagos and... my suitcase wasn't there! It was interesting experience having to live out of my backpack for the next few days. I was mostly ok, but REALLY wished I'd put in more than one spare shirt. As an fyi, merino shirts can be washed, and if you really wring them out, damp but wearable the next day.

Glad to have it back. It was a useful exercise in refining what to put in the "emergency" bag.
    Good thing you were at least a little prepared! How was London?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a few hours in London in this direction. It is on the way home that I have a long enough layover to hopefully leave the airport.
    ----
    Edmund Burke