Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Alaskan Cruise

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaskan Cruise

Hi Forum!

I will be going on a Princess Alaskan Cruise for 10 days in July and am starting to think about how to pack. I will be doing a 7 day sea and 3 day land cruise. I've never been on a cruise before, so I feel a little lost. Are there any bags that are a must have for this trip? I have an Aeronaut and Synapse 19 that I am planning on taking.

Please help!! Thanks

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a cruiser but I feel like a small shop bag, as well as a side effect, is always handy on any trip.

Will you be doing any activities like zodiac rides etc? A stuff sack to put over the camera in case of splashing might be handy (although truthfully a ziploc bag does just as well).

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding bags, your cabin will not have a lot of room to store them, so any combination where you can nest empty bags after you've unpacked will work best. As far as clothes, find out how dressy you need to be for dinner. And think layers. The ocean portion might be cooler than the land portion: I remember on our cruise I would wear a light, insulated jacket if walking the promenade deck, but used nothing more than a sweatshirt if on land, sometimes only a short sleeved shirt. We went in August and were told it was abnormally hot that year. So think layers for sure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your Aeronaut and Synapse 19 will work well! I just went on an Alaskan cruise two weeks ago (mine was only 7 days of cruising) with an Aeronaut 30, Night Flight Travel Duffle, and a Daylight Backpack (folded down in the A30). In lieu of the SE, I just brought the DLBP around with my everywhere, which was useful to me because it held extra jackets (I get cold easily). Your S19 will do the job perfectly, I'm sure! For the must have I'd say the S19 in your case. I don't know if yours cordura or dyneema but I can say that my black dyneema DLBP performed wonderfully in continual rain/snow (I'm sure the cordura does as well?). We stood outside in the rain/snow for 95% of the time spent viewing the glaciers in Glacier Bay and the DLBP only got water inside because I had accidentally left the zippers open about an inch. I also agree with @viewsnortheast about the stuff sacks. All of my items were in either stuff sacks or pouches and remained dry while there was a small puddle in my bag.

I agree with @AuntieEm about layering and dressing for dinner. We cruised on Norwegian and only ate in the main dining room once and jeans were acceptable. Clothing wise I ended up taking 4 long sleeve shirts, 2 chambray button ups, 3 short sleeve shirts, 3 skinny jeans (2 blue, 1 black), 1 pair of Anatomie Skyler travel pants, 2 pairs of leggings, 8 pairs of socks/undergarments, 4 undershirts, 3 bras, pajamas, 1 pair of Doc Marten Chelsea boots, 1 pair of slip on sneakers similar to Vans, 1 pair black leather sandals, 1 wrinkle-free dress, 1 rain coat, 1 pullover fleece, 1 lightweight running jacket, and 1 cardigan (I wore 1 chambray button up, 1 short sleeve, 1 blue skinny jean, socks, etc on the travel day). I know what I brought was a bit overkill but I didn't want to freeze seeing as I was going from almost 100 in Arizona to highs of maybe 60 or 42 and raining in Glacier Bay. I wore everything and it worked out. It really depends on the person and how they handle the cold. I honestly could have left off one pair of jeans, the dress and sandals, the lightweight running jacket, and the cardigan, but you live and you learn. I also ended up buying a soft shell which replaces most jackets I took.

Seeing as you've never taken a cruise before, have you by chance looked at Cruise Critic/their forums at all? I wouldn't look to in depth at the packing lists, but it has great advice about the ports, excursions, transportation, etc. It helped me plan!
    Last edited by Simone; 06-24-2015 at 09:32 PM.
    Treat Yo Self (to more TB merchandise)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love Alaska! One nice thing is that the Alaskan cruises are more casual than some other cruises so it's easier to pack. I did a 7 day Alaska cruise with an A30 and Synapse 19. The backpack is great for shore excursions to peel off layers as weather warms up during day. Bring a fleece jacket and waterproof windbreaker. Oh! And binoculars...we used these all the time to see whales next the ship,the glaciers and the coast of BC as we sailed past and on our shore trips...lots of Bald Eagles.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaskan Cruise

Thank you all so much for your help! Your suggestions and advice have been truly helpful - keep them coming, if you have any more! We'll be doing 3 excursions (kayaking, rock climbing and a helicopter ride to a glacier).

@AuntieEm - I've been trying to plan out my nesting bags since there will be 4 people in a room. Yikes!

@Simone - I have a cordura S19 and have been really really happy with it so far. It went on my honeymoon to Disney World and is my marching band bag during the summer (I'm a band director). Couldn't ask for a better backpack! Thank you for giving me an idea about what you packed! That was extremely helpful. I have looked at Cruise Critic a little bit and skimmed through a travel book about Alaska cruises, but my reading will definitely be ramped up in the next couple of days.

@Synchron - I can't wait to get there! I have a 3-in-1 jacket that I will be taking, that way I can zip out the inner shell, but still have a waterproof option.