Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium

Hi all,

I've been looking to replace my old gym bag for a while now, but up until recently I didn't find anything right.
    Ideally it had to be from Tom Bihn, because I've been really satisfied with all the bags I have, but there wasn't one available.

Last year I noticed this Road Duffel but I quickly forgot about it. Then a couple of months ago my girlfriend decided she wanted an A45 for herself (after a long time looking at my A45 with envy I can't blame her!) so we started looking at colors and accessories and the Road Duffel caught my eye again, only this time I thought it could actually be used as a gym bag. :-)
    Unfortunately I didn't find much information around the web, and pictures were scarce too.

Anyway I decided to get a medium one together with the A45 for my girlfriend and here are some comments and pictures, which hopefully will help some of you who maybe are interested in this bag but couldn't find much information about it, like me.

So, this first set of pictures shows the Road Duffel loaded with what I usually bring to the gym (plus some details of pockets and O-Rings positioning):

• pair of shoes (A45 end pocket)
    • pair of slippers (A45 end pocket)
    • SE with EDC
    • towels for gym and shower
    • gym clothes
    • TSS for dirty gym clothes
    • water bottle and shaker
    • shower gel and deodorant

A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-10-jpg
    A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-11-jpg
    A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-12-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-13-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-14-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-15-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-16-jpg

Plenty of space left (for a change of clothes or other things), as you can see.

This second set of pictures shows the Road Duffel loaded with a demo of what I usually carry for a weekend out of town:

• pair of shoes (A45 end pocket)
    • pair of slippers (A45 end pocket)
    • SE with EDC
    • SE with toiletries
    • 3D Organizer Cube with medicines
    • 3D organizer Cube with small things
    • clothes (A45 large Packing Cube x1 + A45 small Packing Cube x2)
    • Sun screen and lotion for mosquitoes
    • Bluetooth speaker
    • TSS for dirty gym clothes
    • hat

Usually I carry this stuff in my A45, but as you can see it all fits comfortably in the Road Duffel. What's really cool, and I didn't expect, is that the A45 Packing Cubes fit perfectly into the Road Duffel as well! :-)

A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-9-jpg
    A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-1-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-2-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-3-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-4-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-5-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-6-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-7-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-8-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-19-jpgA brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-20-jpg
    A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium-medium_duffel-18-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is impressive how much stuff you fit for travel in that bag!

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DO NOT NEED A ROAD DUFFLE!! But those pockets in the main compartment look so useful..... I DON'T HAVE A DOG!! It would be great for road trips..... I DON'T LIKE COYOTE 'TRIM'!! Wow! That's a very reasonable price ......... <sits on hands until wallet confiscation has been completed>
    Last edited by ceepee; 07-31-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: mixing up my TB & Skookum bag names :)

Forum Member
    Arkansas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Whoa! I'd never looked at the Sookum Dog portion of the site. This bag is lovely! And the Forest color is terrific! I see the Lg Road Duffle is even bigger than the A45, which makes it a serious bag, but still a manageable size. The Med RD is a bit larger than the A30. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. :-)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW that are some mouth-watering pictures!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pictures. And you're right, there hasn't been much attention given to this and the large Road Duffel. I've always liked the medium Road Duffel since the first time I saw it on the old Skookum site. I wish I'd have seen it before I bought the Night Flight Travel Duffel last year because I would have gotten it over the NFTD. I'd say the NFTD is the small Road Duffel.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @sujo for pointing out "NFTD is the small Road Duffle". I just realize that.

Also, thanks @giuliof. I am too been eyeing on the Road Duffle, I really like the Coyote-Blend and also its build-in interior pockets. I find it extremely well thought out and well-made. But I find the Medium bigger than I like. I hope there would really be a "Small Road Duffle" Lol, with about the same length as Aeronaut 30.

Just for a better understanding of Tom Bihn & Skookum Dog "Duffel". Listed from small to big.
    17" x 10" x 9" Night Flight
    19.7" x 12.6" x 7.9" Aeronaut 30
    21.5" x 11.5" x 9.5" Road Duffel Medium
    22" x 14" x 9" Aeronaut 45
    22.5" x 14" x 12" Road Duffel Large
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best looking gym bag I ever saw! Thanks for these great pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd looked at the "dog duffels" when the Skookum page joined the regular page. I don't have pets. But I saw things on the Skookum page I loved, including the duffels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scroll through this page for more pics.

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...ght=#post78430

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brief look at the Road Duffel, Medium

What a coincidence, I've just bought one of these through eBay. Had not ever even considered one before but this thread helped me make the plunge.

My thoughts, essentially as a Pilot/WF/Tristar user for business, wanted something more duffle like for personal travel. Had an A45 before that was too big and had really deliberated on an A30. Hoping this will hit the sweet spot size wise and hold just that bit more than my Tristar (36 v 33 litres).

Sure it doesn't have backpack straps but I prefer to carry by hand or shoulder strap anyway. I'll let you know what my thoughts are when I get it.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know this existed. I've been drooling over the A45 for a long while (years). The road duffle sits nicely between the A45 and A30, the goldilocks spot. Wish there were more color combos, so forest it is. The price is also within my budget. Now I can continue to plan my trip to Manchester in 2016 for the USk international symposium. Now I can spend more money on a hotel and purchases. YEAH!!

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found it useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    What a coincidence, I've just bought one of these through eBay. Had not ever even considered one before but this thread helped me make the plunge.

My thoughts, essentially as a Pilot/WF/Tristar user for business, wanted something more duffle like for personal travel. Had an A45 before that was too big and had really deliberated on an A30. Hoping this will hit the sweet spot size wise and hold just that bit more than my Tristar (36 v 33 litres).

Sure it doesn't have backpack straps but I prefer to carry by hand or shoulder strap anyway. I'll let you know what my thoughts are when I get it.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I want to get back to the gym -- it's okay to laugh! ;)

Seriously -- I want to get back into the routine.

I am debating whether to use a travel bag I have, or to get a Road Duffel and use it as a dedicated gym bag.

I can place my gym shoes in one end pocket, flip flops in the other end pocket, iPad + earphones + towel + toiletries + gym clothes or a change of clothes in the main compartment.

I like the idea of the end mesh pocket for holding dirty gym clothes. Question -- is my bag going to retain an odor from this? It's interesting -- I sweat a lot, and if I'm out and active and wearing merino (shoveling snow was a great example), I don't smell (well, at least I don't think I do - ha!). But if I wear some of the gym clothes made from technical fabric, I smell just awful! I hope that wasn't too much information!

I think that the medium should be big enough. Or should I get the large?

Thanks!
    -m

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the medium one will have plenty of space for everything you need at the gym.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast