Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 73
  1. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,143
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My order already shipped and I forgot to add an Absolute strap for this - I should have one available but I can see with this bag it might be good to have a dedicated strap as it is going to be quite heavy when loaded up. It will be great for family travel.

    Ilkyway - this American proudly uses a duvet. It is the most comfortable thing at night in cool San Francisco weather, for me. Also it is easy to fold up for storage and I like to change the cover for different decoration. Duvets are a habit we picked up in travel in Germany and Sweden many years ago. Thank you for these beautiful photos.

  2. #17
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    2,942
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words! When I first came accross the concept that many people in the world do not use duvets I was quite puzzled. Makes sense in hot countrys of cause but seems quite common in not so hot countrys.

    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

    By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

  3. #18
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    2,942
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a picture of this but no daylight over here anymore.

    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-img_3860-jpg

    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

    By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

  4. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Share
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Posts
    198
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is beautiful fabric on your duvet Ilkyway!

    I have used them in the past, but unfortunately, don't put them on our comforters much anymore. I find comforters just too warm in the house in the wintertime at this stage of my life. 😕 Also, I think I got out of the habit as our kitty it seemed would often be on the bed when she felt the urge to get sick and didn't get off the bed.

    At any rate, I think they are a great idea as you can change them out when you want something new and fresh.

  5. #20
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Share
    Florida
    Posts
    811
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I took a picture of this but no daylight over here anymore.

    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-img_3860-jpg

    Ilkyway
    Is that a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? And is that a small or medium Slip?

  6. #21
    Forum Member marbenais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    386
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does a duvet differ from a comforter?

  7. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,143
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    How does a duvet differ from a comforter?
    According to Webster's online (m-w.com) a duvet is the same as one of the definitions of a comforter (the one you allude to). Two layers of fabric with a filling.

    When I say duvet, I also specifically mean that I am putting a cover on it, which lets me change the look and wash the cover for ease of care.

  8. #23
    Forum Member marbenais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    386
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    According to Webster's online (m-w.com) a duvet is the same as one of the definitions of a comforter (the one you allude to). Two layers of fabric with a filling.

    When I say duvet, I also specifically mean that I am putting a cover on it, which lets me change the look and wash the cover for ease of care.
    I thought most comforters had covers. Is it just a semantic difference?

  9. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,143
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I thought most comforters had covers. Is it just a semantic difference?
    I don't know the answer to this - what about those decorative bedspreads that are sometimes used in bedding displays? Are those sometimes called comforters? I do use comforter interchangeably with duvet in the way you mention.

  10. #25
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I thought most comforters had covers. Is it just a semantic difference?
    Not all do. The one I'm using now is insulation stuffed between 2 pieces of patterned cloth. We also have one bought in the US several years ago that's built like that too.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-06-2015 at 11:36 PM.

  11. #26
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Posts
    2,942
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Is that a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? And is that a small or medium Slip?
    Ah here that picture landed. I was so puzzled about this. AlakaGirl had mentioned trying out the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in a Packing Cube Shoulder bag. But when I next looked in her thread my picture, that I was sure I had loaded up, was not there. So sorry about the confusion. Yes Mausermama, you are right.

    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

    By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

  12. #27
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,249
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd add that in addition to being able to fold the Yeoman Duffle to fit into the Size #3 Travel Stuff Sack and the Small Packing Cube for the Night Flight Travel Duffle (NFTD), it will go into a Travel Tray:

    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-image-jpg

    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-image-jpg

    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-image-jpg

    Ilkyway, please take a better picture of this configuration so I can delete mine! The lighting was really terrible.

    moriond

  13. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    942
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I've no use for such a bag-- yet-- but HOLY COW it packs so small! Does everyone know how small NFTD packing cubes are?!

    If I ever need something larger than an A45, I'm putting this in my cart. I am overawed by how it folds up.

    ETA: Again, I was in such a hurry to express my amazement that I forgot the obvious. Thanks to @Ilkyway for the pics and @Badger for posting.
    Agree with @adalangdon. I dismissed the Yeoman at first glance! But HOLY COW, that is a great bag for those times when I need to haul stuff one way only.

    This thread is trouble. :)

    And yes, thanks for the awesome photos!

  14. #29
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,249
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I've no use for such a bag-- yet-- but HOLY COW it packs so small! Does everyone know how small NFTD packing cubes are?!
    Here are the specs:

    Small Packing Cube for Night Flight Travel Duffle (TB0944)
    7.9" x 6.3" x 3.5" / 200mm x 160mm x 90mm Weight: 1.8 oz / 50 g Volume: 175 cu in / 3.0 L

    Size #3 Travel Stuff Sack
    External Dimensions - 7.9" tall x 6.6" x 4.3" / 200 x 170 x 110 mm Weight: 1.4 oz / 40 g Volume: 185 cu in / 3 L

    Travel Tray
    External Dimensions: 4.5" tall x 8" diameter/ 115 x 200 mm Weight: 2 oz / 55 g Volume: 150 cu in / 2.5 L

    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    If I ever need something larger than an A45, I'm putting this in my cart. I am overawed by how it folds up.

    ETA: Again, I was in such a hurry to express my amazement that I forgot the obvious. Thanks to @Ilkyway for the pics and @Badger for posting.
    My guess is that the Yeoman Duffle is a "testing the waters" kind of thing, because unlike many other bags and products, this bag wasn't developed specifically in response to wishlist requests. So, based on the initial response and orders, they may not decide to keep this around long-term if it's not enthusiastically received, or they may decide that the introductory price point is not one they can maintain, if they don't get many orders for this. Remember, even items that were really popular with certain contingents (like the Imago, and the Western Flyer with the luggage handle options) didn't stick around. So my personal feelling (not based on anything that the TB folks have said) is that if this is a product you can see yourself using, and that you'll want in the furture, order it now.


    HTH

    moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-07-2015 at 05:48 PM.

  15. #30
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    My guess is that the Yeoman Duffle is a "testing the waters" kind of thing, because unlike many other bags and products, this bag wasn't developed specifically in response to wishlist requests. So, based on the initial response and orders, they may not decide to keep this around long-term if it's not enthusiastically received, or they may decide that the introductory price point is not one they can maintain, if they don't get many orders for this. Remember, even items that were really popular with certain contingents (like the Imago, and the Western Flyer with the luggage handle options) didn't stick around. So my personal feelling (not based on anything that the TB folks have said) is that if this is a product you can see yourself using, and that you'll want in the furture, order it now.
    Interesting that you should say this, @moriond. It's such a different product in terms of concept-- big toss-around un-lined (?!) duffle from "seconds" material-- that I too wondered if this would stick around in the long run. We may or may not have a use for this, plus I'm not feeling the "MUST BUY!" itch for this one, so I'll take my chances that one will be available in late November in Aubergine/Navy/Steel and get it alongside the new releases.

    As a side note... the Imago has been 'stolen' by my partner to use as a work bag. And he's a big guy. Please, TB, we need a small-medium messenger bag!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-07-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •