Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped by the store today to pick up a MCB FS (yay!), and I was happy to have a chance to see the Yeoman Duffel in person. While I have enough large duffels already, I was very impressed with the bag's design and usual TB quality, and I really adore the smooth zippers. I really like that it still has the thin grab handle straps on the end of the bag, which are handy when pulling out a heavily loaded bag, and the fact that it nicely retains its general shape due to the construction, yet it can fold up small. The one feature that would not work for me would be wearing the bag like a backpack using the carry handles, as I am way too petite, and the carry handles would not even stay on my shoulders. However, given the size of the bag, I think either the hand carry handles or an absolute strap are the way to go. It was interesting to see the design next to other bags like the A30, as it really has that same sort of shape in a larger wide open bag.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 10-07-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yeoman is definitely a horse of a different color, and I agree it might be a 'testing the waters' product. I can see it being a great bag when you need a big gear bag, but there are a couple caveats that come to mind. I love TB quality and the 'Made in the USA' factor, but there are a couple of similar, well made bags for much less from Red Oxx and LL Bean. Still, the advantage of the Yeoman is the fact it folds up so tiny. I do wonder how it would hold up after say, a season of hauling hockey gear around?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Vecturist, You're correct that there are well-made alternative bags from vendors like Red Oxx, so maybe the question is whether the Ballistic Nylon contstruction is a factor that will appeal to people -- perhaps based on the experience of bags like the Aeronaut? (The other bags you refer to are Cordura in construction; I don't think it's possible to get the pricing down if you are using Ballistic Nylon -- at least, manufacturers like Waterfield Designs certainly can't, for duffles that are both smaller and much more expensive than the Yeoman Duffle.)

moriond

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the Yeoman duffle bag fits one niche very well - Scuba Diving or other similar watersports

This is also a scenario that I have seen asked about a few times over the years by forum members. Most were hesitant to purchase an Aeronaut 45 (A45) as it was so perfect for travel and almost painful to see knocked around as part of Scuba Diving. The only alternative was something like the Skookum Dog Road Duffle. Now there is a cheaper alternative in the Yeoman duffle that you will not mind getting knocked around while still getting that great, tough ballistic nylon and waterproofing.

With Scuba Bags, this is where you need size, waterpoof/resistant materials and zippers and simplicity in addition to durability:

Size - 2 big flippers, Buoyancy Compensator, regulator, snorkel, mask, weights, neoprene suit and boot are a lot of bulky items. The extra long handle also give the option of squeezing something between them and the bag. Also, being able to use the handles as ad-hoc backpack straps is a bit of a bonus. Now, I not saying everything will fit - but a lot should be able to fit.

Waterproof/resistant materials and zippers - prefer that contents do not get wet when transporting - conversely not soak whatever it is resting on after completing a dive.

Simplicity - no open pockets, etc to snag things. However, if needing to carry small things, the O-Rings (NOTE - there are 5 in the bag!!!! FIVE) and Dyneema Stuff Sacks should cover things.

Durability - Scuba Diving is where you want to make sure bags do not rip and perhaps damage key equipment - e.g. regulators. You definitely do not want to find issues in the middle of a dive!

Now, of course, there are more inexpensive bags but the ballistic nylon and the simple, clean design give you a bit more style compared to the usual and that I like. The fact it is waterproof / resistant from the urethane backing to the YKK zippers makes it ideal for holding valuable equipment for water sports.

I do not kayak but it would be interesting to see how this bag could be used in that scenario as well. @nwhikergirl - I recall you had a REALLY COOL fold up kayak - NO I am not thinking of fitting it in the Yeoman duffle - but could some the equipment you need - life vest, waterproof bag, etc be a good use for this new duffle?

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-14-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am waiting for mine to arrive, and I plan to use it during car trips to carry down jackets, boots, and other winter gear for when we drive to the mountains. Last year I packed this type of gear into two of those big blue IKEA bags. They were a pain to haul from the car in the snow as they were really floppy, open-topped, and noisy.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GoStanford these very IKEA bags are what I compares the YEOMAN in my head too. These being the only thing in ruffly the same size I have ever handled. Of cause day do compare in no way in quqöity or versitility and the NOISE you mentioned...

I have some thoughts to priceing I like to share:
    Every once in a while I see someone on this forums compare Tom Bihn products with other products in terms of price. To me that makes no sense. Tom Bihn has to calculate prices by there costs. Thouse are a combination of fix costs (that building the factury is in will cost the same regardless which bags are sewn in a given month) and variable costs: how complicated to sew is a given design, how many Zippers are in there, how much and which material is used. And than there are costs we from the outside have NO way to determin: how much time, try and arrow and research went into a specific design?

What am I rambaling about? Well either I trust in general, that the products of a given company are worth me paying what they ask for it or not. Compare the price of this duffle with the price of the next lagest bag id you like comparing:
    Aeronout 45 = 280 $ = 45 L = 6.22 $/L
    Yeoman Duffle = 140 $ = 71 L = 1.97 $/L

Look at both bags and the difference in price/volume is a no brainer. Since both have a total different usage profile the difference in constructiin is clear too. To me the only logical quesrions are: do I need this bag? Do I like the design/color? Do I have the money (right now) to buy it? Is this company one that I feel compftable spending my money on?

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    To me the only logical quesrions are: do I need this bag? Do I like the design/color? Do I have the money (right now) to buy it? Is this company one that I feel compftable spending my money on?

Ilkyway
    You are wise in your approach. I confess I have copy-pasted your helpful thoughts from June 2014 into a computer sticky note I use to keep track of my Tom Bihn purchases. It really puts things into perspective for me, and I quote you here:

@ilkyway 6/14/14
    Aren't that the too pols wee are all town in-between: something so sturdy to last forever as in filling the need for "eternity" (meaning something to hold on to in this fast moving wold, something lasting and trustful) and on the other hand something shiny and brand new to play with filling the need of exploring and concerning new horizons.

I remember the time (as you all are too I expect) when computers involved so fast that todays news was aingent history after 6 month. I hated this. Everything was outdated so fast. But today I am waiting for someone to bobble my harddrivespace for nearly two years and nobody is doing it. What I am getting at: why change your way of thinking about computers NOW as they are slowing down?

I have found this approach the best in thinking about spending money:
    1. has the family everything that is needed?
    2. Is the house in a good shape?
    3. Have I spend money for people who have more needs then I do?
    4. Is there something left? Lets do something fun with it without hurting the planet or other people. AND without giving it second thought after the money is spent. There is no value in doing that.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! do not know, what to say other than, glad you liked it.

ETA: by the way, I added a point lately. Leve enough of that left over money to actually travel with all these wonderfull bags. I am good with budgeting the monthley and yearly needs of my family, or better I have gotten good in doing so. There was a time in my life where I sucked at it and at one point I decided to change that. But now I decided, that I would like to tavel to America with my family. And after looking at some prices I thought: holey cow I need to learn some longterm-budgeting. So now I am on this task... it is a bit of a bumpy road but I am getting forward.
    So either next summer or the summer after: America we are comming!

Five tickets somehow do add up ;-)
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 10-08-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK back to topic, I had two more pictures with all my travelbags piled up, but as I thought they do not bring anything new, I did not post them right away.

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-yeoman-size-c7-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-yeoman-size-c8-jpg

Oh and as well as Titus, my fury friends did not want to be left out:
    Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-img_3853-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-img_3864-jpg

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tpnl, I can fit my extra kayak gear in a large shop bag, but I think this bag would be great for ski gear/cold weather trips like @gostanford mentioned, car camping or other scenarios where you are taking a lot of stuff, family trips, etc. If I did not already have some high-end large unstructured duffels, I would strongly consider it. I currently have myself on a duffel ban though, as I seem to have acquired quite a few. :)
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt I needed to try the Absolut Shoulderstrap (AS) within the Travel Stuff Sack Size 3 (TSS3) and, inspired by and with permition from moriond, the Travel Tray (TT).

I am not sure, if this is informational overkill but I have taken pictures while my hubby was rolling. So bare with me:

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4219-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4218-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4215-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4184-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4174-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4211-jpg

Than he keeps rolling till it is one compact roll

Ilkyway

PS: He makes me say, that leving the zippers open is important.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 L Yeoman Duffle + Absolut Shoulderstrap in 3 L Travel Stuff Sack size 3

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4194-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4203-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4206-jpg

By the way: I am not sure, I would have the patiance to do this. But as my husband is wonderpacker in this house... I do not have to try :-)

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspired by moriond: the same content in a 2,5 L Travel Tray

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4189-jpg

Ilkyway's pics of the new Yeoman Duffle-imb_4193-jpg

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very curious how the bag arrives - all rolled up or open and in a bigger box. I'm hoping for a small box to see just how compact it is!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it saves on shipping if it is folded and compact? elisa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast