Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could the papers go into the large OP? Then into the FS for extra protection? Just a thought...

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks, and thank you for all the helpful photos and comments in this thread! I've ordered a FS for my Medium Café Bag and also one for the Synapse 25. I was wondering, is there any way to secure the FS so that it doesn't slip around or flop forwards inside the bag? I don't suppose this will be a major issue for the Café Bag, but I have found that the Synapse 25 has a sort of sloping base and things like folders and my iPad tend to sliiiiide down so that I have to keep pulling them up so they are standing upright against the back of the bag, if you see what I mean. That's why I was hoping there may be either a built-in way or a hack to keep the FS from similarly sliding around? :)
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny @Antonia - I was thinking the exact thing last night - at least suspending the FS in the bag so they do not flop around and get squished in all that Synapse 25 (S25) goodness.

I was thinking something like using a key strap to loop around the rail loop and the handle of the FS - similar to what others have done with the Side Effect (SE), 3D Organizer Cubes (3DOC), etc. You can probably use other things like Double Carabiners or Gatekeeper Rail Clips too.

Is that what you are thinking of? I know @moriond and others have some great pictures of this concept using other TB accessories. Also, @ScottE22's video shows this too with an SE (go about 6 min 40 sec into the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=kVaKgCDNjSg

Also, I found that just putting the Large FS in the main compartment elastic pocket worked to keep the FS positioned how I like it.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-07-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post

Also, I found that just putting the Large FS in the main compartment elastic pocket worked to keep the FS positioned how I like it.

Yes, in the Synapse 25 I like the FSlet for Large Cafe Bag here, and for the Synapse 19, I like using the FSlet for Medium Cafe Bag (since the FSlet for Large Cafe Bag can be too wide, if you're not using the space that way in the S19).

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, @tpnl and @moriond! Yes, I was thinking along the same lines - either securing it with a carabiner clip, or keystraps, or in the case of the Daylight Backpack and Synapse 25, slipping the FS into the interior pocket, though that may make it difficult to see what's in there. I'm a little surprised TB hasn't addressed the slippage possibility and added some O-rings or suchlike to attach clips. But I'm reserving judgment till it arrives and I see it in action (can't wait). I'm sure it will be fine, but there's always room for hacks! :)

Edited to add Tom Bihn's reply to my question about this on their Facebook post: "No way to secure the FS; maybe flip the side with heavier stuff towards the back of the bag? We find they stay pretty upright in our use!"
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cat guarding what feels to be hers Freudian Slips.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-img_3865-jpg

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to sign-in so I could say that is a beautiful kitty! I miss ours -- especially at night because she always liked sleeping on our bed.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prairigle ,thanks for the compliment I pass it on to her. And so sorry for your loss.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, you have my favourite Leatherman! I love my little purple pocket tool.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more question... sorry! Can the medium cafe bag with the medium sized Freudian Slip also comfortably hold a Side Effect? I pretty much always carry a Side Effect, whatever larger bag I'm using, to keep my most important items.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me check that, be right back. Ok I tried it out and it works but can be a bit tight.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-imb_4230-jpg

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-imb_4224-jpg

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-imb_4227-jpg

Hope this helps
    Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 10-09-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks SO much, @ilkyway! I really appreciate all the photos and answers!
    I am trying to watch my pennies more carefully these days so I want to consider my needs before I press the "buy" button, tempting though it is.
    I suppose that how full the Freudian Slip and Side Effect are is a factor, as well as whether I pack a dyneema or ballistic Side Effect. So I could probably make it work. I would even carry the SE almost empty, just so it is there in case I need it. I do like the idea of giving the cafe bag more vertical organization.

By the way, your cat is beautiful in the picture above.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 10-09-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes these all factor in my SE is quite full and that FS is not too empty on the lower end too. So you have some ways to make it an easier fit. But it worked even like this. Though I took the hip-belt of that is usely on my SE as I felt that would be too much. I would stasch that in a Q-Kit at an O-Ring if I wanted this configuration.

Ilkyway

PS: My cat loves the compliment

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the wonderful pictures and details! Sorry if I missed it, but could you comment on the "stiffness" of the Freudian Slips (FS)? In post #18, the FS in Ilkway's Large Cafe Bag (4th picture in the post) seems to bend quite a bit. How flexible are the FSs?

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They is not an easy question to answer. They are bendable, if you put a large bottle in it will bend towards that bottle unless you habe something flat and rigit on the other side. But they are by no means floppy. We have these fouldable outoor things to sit on with a foam in them. Kind of like these.

Not sire if this helps. If you give me something to try out so you can get a feeling of the bendyness?

Ilkyway

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast