Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification

The Freudian Slips for the Cafe Bag line add an extra element of organization to the Bags’ practical simplicity. Sometimes, all you need are the organizational features that are built into the bag: the front zipped pocket, interior pen and tool slots, o-rings. Other occasions may call for a pouch or two. The Cafe Bag Freudian Slip helps to keep things under control when you find yourself carrying multiple writing instruments, notebooks or paper, a bunch of cables, or perhaps something like brochures or postcards that you don’t want getting bent or crushed at the bottom of your bag.

I put some stuff in each size of the Cafe Bag Freudian Slip so you can get an idea of what they can hold.

Size Small
    Elastic pocket side: DVD, Kindle Paperwhite

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled3-jpg

Pen slot side: Field Notes, three pens, coffee shop loyalty card, cash.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled4-jpg

Size Medium
    Elastic pocket side: Pack of stationery, kleenex, hand sanitizer, tea bag.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled5-jpg

Pen slot side: Field Notes, two pens, mints, Apple earbuds in case, pack of flash cards.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled6-jpg

Size Large
    Since the other examples are lightly packed, I really loaded this guy up:

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled7-jpg

Pen slot/pocket side: Hobonichi Techo, pack of Coco Hydro, sunglasses in case, pocket knife, flashlight, four pens, Field Notes, pocket guidebook, Leatherman.
    Open pocket side: A4 pad of paper, paperback book (about 1” thick), Field Notes Steno Book, gift card, flash drive.

Of course, the Cafe Bag Freudian Slips can fit even more than what I’ve packed. Hopefully though it gives you an idea. I do like to “keep it real,” however, so I thought I would load up the Size Medium with the actual contents of my Medium Cafe Bag.

Usually, I use the following accessories: 3D Mesh Organizer Cube, 1x Small Organizer Pouch, 2x Mini Organizer Pouch, and 3x 8” key straps.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-img_00293-jpg

My load-out: Ibex merino wool hat (because apparently it’s autumn now), Kindle Paperwhite, sunglasses in case, Hobonichi Techo, Kleenex, pocket knife, Leatherman, hand sanitizer, lip balm, Advil, lighter, mints, flashlight, Field Notes, 2 pens, 7 cough drops.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-img_00295-jpg

I put everything except the hat and cough drops into the Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. The cough drops went into the Mini Organizer Pouch, and the hat was tucked into the front pocket. I was able to reduce the number of accessories in my bag from 7 to 3, which definitely streamlined my Cafe Bag and made better use of its vertical space.

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-untitled-1-jpg

Some other initial observations:
    • The Size Small fits in both the Small and Medium Cafe Bags, so if you have both sizes of bag but want just one Slip, go for the Small. The Small will also fit flat into the bottom of the Night Flight Travel Duffle.
    • The Size Large works well in the Synapse 19, and can add some organization to the Shop Bag.
    • The Medium fits in the front of the Tri-Star, and in the bottom shingle of the Daylight Backpack.
    • The Large and Medium can help you add an organizational panel to the Aeronauts 45 and 30, respectively (obviously, the Medium would fit in either bag; I think the Large can be OK in the 30 but I preferred the 45 because it was easier to remove).
    • Both the Small and Medium will fit horizontally in the Daylight Briefcase and Pilot. (I think the Small would fit in the Co-Pilot, but I don’t have one to test.)
    Last edited by Badger; 03-23-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: egregious spelling error

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size for the LS? For the Ristretto 13? And which size for the small vs. large shop bags? Great details--thanks, Badger!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah hah, the thread I was looking for! I love that you have a special place for your coffee shop loyalty card!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Washington DC-ish
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Badger! Your photos were all I needed to order a medium cafe bag Freudian slip.

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    What size for the LS? For the Ristretto 13? And which size for the small vs. large shop bags? Great details--thanks, Badger!
    The Large will fit in either the Large or Small Shop Bag. Sorry, I don't have the other bags to test, but I would guess that for the Ristretto, just figure out which Cafe Bag is the closest size. I would guess the Medium.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Badger, for the detailed pics (and I love that Titus made it into one of the photos)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Ah hah, the thread I was looking for! I love that you have a special place for your coffee shop loyalty card!
    Doesn't everyone have a special place for their true loves?

Also: I just want to say that in terms of the DLBP (sorry pedants, I'm tired and can't type out all the names anymore), the S19 Freudian Slip fits much better because it conforms more to the shape of the bag. But if you have no FSs in your life, and have both a MCB/LCB and a DLBP, the Cafe Bag slips work great.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some comparison views of the Freudian Slips for Cafe Bags

Having problems with image uploads, so will put up what I can and edit later
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    My favorite size for the Little Swift is the Medium FS. The main reason I like the Medium FS is that I can carry letter size papers in the back pocket, and only have the very top of the sheet stick outside my Little Swift. The reverse side can even carry a tea thermos:
    Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-image-jpg
    This is a view of the Medium Size Freudian Slip with Letter Size paper loaded into my Little Swift The side that can hold papers is loaded to the front view:

Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification-image-jpg
    This is the reverse side of the Medium Size Freudian Slip in my Little Swift

A comparison view of the reverse side of the Freudian Slip for Small Cafe Bag (holding a Leuchtten1917 journal -- or a Moleskine notebook is similar size) and the front of the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian slip with a 16oz.Zojurushi Thermos. The right mesh pocket is holding a Hobonichi Techo planner (not in a cover)

ETA: Other items that will fit into the widest top pocket (checkbook on its side or slim weekly planner -- the tops fall under the top edge of the Medium Freudian Slip). I have another photo sequence showing 8.5 x 11 US Letter paper beside the Medium size FS, but I'm having trouble with uploads). When I use the Medium and Large sizes with the Little Swift and Swift, I just hook the top loop over the circular metal button (as in the above picture). If you want to close the bag with the webbing loop closure, just loop it on top of the that.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-06-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Forum Member
    Arkansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering how these different sizes fit into a Swift and Little Swift? Much as I love my Swift I wish it had more interior organization sometimes. Lg FS in a regular Swift?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaleKnits2 View Post
    Just wondering how these different sizes fit into a Swift and Little Swift? Much as I love my Swift I wish it had more interior organization sometimes. Lg FS in a regular Swift?
    Someone reminded me that I could just move the medium over to the regular Swift.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaleKnits2 View Post
    Yes, the Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip is the better match to the regular Swift, with the advantage that it can also hold full size sheets or patterns, but it I wanted to move between the two, I'd choose the Medium size. One potentially big down side to using these two sizes in the Swift and Little Swift is that the fabric of the mesh pockets will catch on yarn -- the stretchy mesh pocket of the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip is the smooth, fine mesh used for the Brain Cell, and will not catch on fibers! But the sides of the two larger Cafe Bag FSs will catch on yarn. So if you use your Swift as an office bag, the Slips are fine, but if you carrry your knitting in there, be aware that the mesh side is rough.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one as a knitting bag and the other 2 as tote bags. While BO isn't my favorite color, I'm using one for fall as a tote.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    My favorite size for the Little Swift is the Medium FS. The main reason I like the Medium FS is that I can carry letter size papers in the back pocket, and only have the very top of the sheet stick outside my Little Swift. The reverse side can even carry a tea thermos
    All we need now is for the MCB FS to fit nicely into the cross-body bag...

BTW, would anyone know which size fits the Imago best? Large? (Would that be too tall?) My hubs has taken my Imago for his work bag and this might be a good thing for him to get at some point.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm in love! I have a regular Swift and am always trying to put a water bottle in it. I didn't realize the FS would hold one in the mesh pocket.

Badger, I see you are a Miyazaki, Sumikko Gurashi and Hobonichi fan! So am I! What size Techo are you showing in your screen shot?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

A comparison view of the reverse side of the Freudian Slip for Small Cafe Bag (holding a Leuchtten1917 journal -- or a Moleskine notebook is similar size) and the front of the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian slip with a 16oz.Zojurushi Thermos. The right mesh pocket is holding a Hobonichi Techo planner (not in a cover).
    Since I now have a medium cafe bag AND a Zojirushi thermos (though it is 12 ounces, not 16), I am very tempted by this Freudian Slip. It would probably fit the 12 ounce thermos fine, right?

Also, any chance that any of these new organizers fits the Pilot? I guess not, since they are vertical...

Finally, how much weight do these organizers add to a bag? I guess the fact that you might carry less internal organizers might balance it out some.

And are they made of parapack?

[Now that I have a strict one-in-one-out policy, before I am buried alive beneath the weight of all my bags, I will have to consider what could go before I decide on a Freudian Slip for purchase, thus giving me some breathing room to decide. I hope they stay in stock for a bit.]
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast