Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First trip with my new Black / Wasabi Tri-Star

The backpack straps make the Tri-Star feel incredibly comfortable on my back!

The cupcakes on the top shelf had a diameter larger than the length of my iPhone 6!

Even the ones on the shelf below were ridiculously big!

Waiting to board my train at Union Station, baguette in the water bottle pocket, and water bottle in the divided front main compartment.

Train was delayed, but we're on our way now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maverick; 11-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the Daylight Briefcase with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Air, power adapter and some accessories in the middle main compartment of the Tri-Star.

-m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in the divided front main compartment of the Tri-Star.

-m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing List

So what's inside the Tri-Star today?

The front main compartment has the divider up. On the left (or the bottom, depending on whether you're looking at the bag horizontally or vertically) is the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. On the right is a 3D Clear Organizer Cube with toiletries and tooth brunch in its own case. I moved the 3D Clear Organizer Cube to the side left side when I placed the water bottle in that section.

I had a baguette sandwich in the water bottle pocket until I boarded and ate it. The water bottle then moved to that pocket.

The middle main compartment had a Coyote Daylight Briefcase. Inside is a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Air (both inside a Cache), AC adapter for the laptop, and various adapters in a small organizer pouch.

The rear main compartment has a small dyneema packing cube with one change of clothes as well as a jacket.

The middle front pocket has a cleaning cloth for my eye glasses and my keys.

I just removed the annex clips and placed them in the bottom front pocket, but I should have taken them off and left them at home since I am not using a Brain Cell on this trip.

The black ballistic looks really sharp! And the Wasabi interior's brightness makes it easy to see what's inside the Tri-Star!

I could have squeezed what I need for this trip in the Western Flyer (placing a packing cube and cache for the laptop in the rear compartment), but I like the 3 compartment organization of the Tri-Star!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprisingly, there is heightened security at Philadelphia's 30th St. station this afternoon. Noticed military personnel with big guns as I came up the stairs from the train platform into the terminal.

I didn't notice anything at union station, in Washington DC, but I was focused on getting my sandwich for the train ride.

It's a beautiful, sunny afternoon in Philadelphia!

-m

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how thorough you are with giving us your packing list and lots of PICTURES! Thanks, @maverick. I never tire of posts like these!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Damnit Maverick!"

Now I think I might need to "Revise" my TS color scheme?
    I love my Steel/UV but……

Thanks for the great pics and story too of course.
    I never thought about the small slip inside the front divided pocket but this is also something I am sure I need,along with the Daylight too?

Also love seeing the Zebra onboard!
    Last edited by AVService; 11-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    "Damnit Maverick!"

Now I think I might need to "Revise" my TS color scheme?
    I love my Steel/UV but……

Thanks for the great pics and story too of course.
    I never thought about the small slip inside the front divided pocket but this is also something I am sure I need,along with the Daylight too?

Also love seeing the Zebra onboard!
    Black / Wasabi is just lovely, but then so is Steel / Ultraviolet!!

This is the real problem with TOM BIHN, isn't it? The bags look totally awesome in so many different color combinations!

It's funny - when I first discovered TOM BIHN, I was drawn by the Crimson 1050d ballistic nylon, having only ever seen black ballistic nylon. And now, I love carrying black bags -- I have a Black / Wasabi Side Effect and Synapse 25, and now a Black / Wasabi Tri-Star!

I am totally sold on the Daylight Briefcase or Backpack inside of whatever travel bag I am using (Tri-Star, Aeronaut, Western Flyer) so that you can pull out the technology you need onboard your flight or train, leaving the travel bag in the overhead compartment.

The train wasn't very full, so I was able to have the Tri-Star next to me. But the train going back home is always full, so I will likely be placing the Tri-Star in the overhead bin.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinner at Bar Bombón.

-m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tri-Star in the overhead compartment of the Amtrak train.

-m

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for showing what Tom Bihn travel luggage looks like while being worn. I hope these photos will be shared on Flickr so that people can see what Tri-Star looks like while in action.

Also: cool travel and dining photos as well. Neat idea, that of carrying a Daylight Briefcase inside of your Tri-Star. I wonder if one could carry an arrangement like that as well as a man's suit, neatly packed... You can count yourself as lucky to work in what looks like such an extraordinarily mobile and fun career.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tri-Star aboard the DC Metro.

-m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just completed two back-to-back week-long business trips with my new black/steel TriStar and am amazed at how well it travels. I was able to pack business clothes and gym clothes/shoes, with my black/steel Pilot (loaded with clunky Dell laptop, charger,etc and demo equipment) in the center section. It was quite full and quite heavy but worked very well in backpack mode and was infinitely better than schleppng a roller bag through airport crowds. I highly recommend @SnarkyNomad's travel clothing and packing tips. Not sure about packing a suit but it might work if you bundle it.
    Last edited by diesel; 11-18-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just sold my beloved Black Wasabi Tristar which is an awesome colour combo. It really is the perfect business bag for 1 or 2 bag travel.

Why?

I'm treating myself to a brand new Steel/Island Tristar. For my short (2-4 day) business travel it just can't be beat. Ready to give Steel a go as my colour of choice.
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdt2TbkotWk

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast