Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?

I'm re-posting this thread as it seems to have disappeared from when i first posted it.

I wanted to share that an iPad can fit within the Night Flight Travel Duffel despite a lot of discussion saying it doesn't. I've read posts where people have shied away (myself included) from purchasing the NFTD because it can't hold an iPad. I wanted to explain what was possible.

As you can see from the photos you can fit an iPad Air 2 both 'naked' or with a thin cover either vertically at the back of the bag or horizontally just under the flap. It does marginally impinge on the side pockets but you'd never notice unless they were stuffed to capacity. I've also tried it with an iPad Air 1 in an apple smart case and it also fits horizontally under the flap (no photos of that sorry).

With the additional padding along the bottom and sides of the NFTD, I feel pretty confident that there is additional protection for the iPad even if its not in a cache.

So if you are an iPad owner and fearing the NFTD wasn't for you, it might be time to reconsider.

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?-4-jpg

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?-3-jpg

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?-2-jpg

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?-1-jpg
    Last edited by Perseffect; 11-21-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

The NFTD is too chunky to count as a personal item on my domestic airlines, but I'm eyeing it up--along with a number of other options--for downsizing from my current 38-litre carry-on. These days my travel computer is an iPad mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, so I'm not too worried about fit, but this is useful for getting an idea of the scale of the bag.

San Pedro, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really.? The NFTD is too chunky as a personal item? What airlines are you flying.

I've never had a problem with the NFTD being too big to be considered a personal item, even in Europe where they are stricter.

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bradnd99 I'm guessing that @Hanaper is speaking from a theoretical perspective as the NFTD does not technically meet many small European airlines' width and length guidelines...

Although I've used the NFTD on a few small European flights, I often will bring the Co-Pilot instead (especially when flying airlines like Ryanair that severely overcharge if you have to gate-check anything).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nathant4; 11-23-2015 at 12:08 AM.

San Pedro, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mental note to self....avoid Ryan air. :-)

That astounds me that something like the NFTD is considered too big, because its so small. :-)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Night Flight Travel Duffel would be allowed as a main bag on Ryanair, right? I'm assuming it is just too big as a secondary, personal bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplin - Absolutely, the Ryanair limits for main bags are 55x40x20 cm (21.7x15.7x7.9 in) under 10 kg. FYI-The personal item limits are 35x20x20 cm (13.8x7.9x7.9 in).

Every time I've flown Ryanair I've used the A45 / Co-Pilot combo. One may notice that both of these bags technically are larger than the guidelines in one dimension...but I've never had a gate agent look twice, especially if the A45 is slightly under-packed. I think this is where the benefit of soft luggage really shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air New Zealand says, "In addition to your allowance, you may also carry onboard one small personal item such as a handbag, duty free bag or slim line laptop bag, which must be able to fit under the seat in front of you". (From experience, the configuration of some planes doesn't leave a lot of flat room under the seat in front of some seats.)

They've taken down the image they used to use to show the difference between a personal item and a second piece of cabin luggage, but Google image search shows me that someone saved a copy over on the Tortuga forum:

The NFTD & iPad dilemma?-air-new-zealand-cabin-baggage-png

Here's SAS's page showing "a small laptop bag or a handbag". That's not usual for European airlines.

Of course, enforcement varies. Given how many flights I have to chain together in my journeys (usually either 3 or 4, with 2 of those being long-haul of over 10 hours each) I'd rather stay within the limits. It's one less thing to worry about.

That means, though, that luggage designed for North Americans tends to look enormous, and I start thinking "Y'know, the NFTD's a 20 litre bag: could I squeeze my stuff into that and a DLBP? Would that be any better than what I normally carry?". :)

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    Mental note to self....avoid Ryan air. :-)

That astounds me that something like the NFTD is considered too big, because its so small. :-)
    Not saying you won't get away with it, but the hefty penalty makes me think twice. If you ever do fly Ryanair...big IF there...make sure to print out your boarding passes before arriving at the airport. They will charge you up to 15 if they have to print it out for you! (That's how they can offer such cheap flights, they nickle-and-dime you to make up the difference.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathant4 View Post
    Not saying you won't get away with it, but the hefty penalty makes me think twice. If you ever do fly Ryanair...big IF there...make sure to print out your boarding passes before arriving at the airport. They will charge you up to 15 if they have to print it out for you! (That's how they can offer such cheap flights, they nickle-and-dime you to make up the difference.)
    Even worse, we learned the hard way recently that if you don't check in online at least 2 hours before the flight, they charge you 45 pounds a person. Ouch!

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For budget airline nickel-and-diming presented as British musical comedy, I recommend Fascinating Ada's "Cheap Flights". Possibly NSFW depending on your workplace.

Forum Member
    Mateh Binyamin, Israel
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone flown Turkish lately who knows what they call a personal item? There are no size guidelines at all on their website. I'm wondering if I can get away with an S19 as a personal item or I'd better stick to a LCB.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    For budget airline nickel-and-diming presented as British musical comedy, I recommend Fascinating Ada's "Cheap Flights". Possibly NSFW depending on your workplace.
    Haha! I love it!
    Dont make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, dont hesitate to make it beautiful. Shaker Philosophy

Brisbane, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it, took it as one of my carry-on's to Europe back in August/ September - was great for hiding alot of knick knacks