Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets

I was really excited to take the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets out for a spin with my buddy, and had the perfect opportunity over the long weekend. It was raining and pretty miserable out, so we couldn’t take as long (or as arduous) a walk as I might have liked for testing purposes; at the same time, over the course of the walk I had enough time to wear the Citizen Canine + Side Pockets in a variety of configurations and try out a bunch of the features. So, without further ado...

What I Packed:
    In the Citizen Canine:
    • poo bags (on the roller mechanism)
    • 1/4 bag of treats in its original packaging
    • TB luggage tag with veterinarian information (which I just realized is extremely out of date)
    • a tick key
    • very full (Hemp!) TB Clear Organizer Wallet
    • big wad of house and car keys
    • hand sanitizer (because poo!)

Side Pocket 1:
    • an ultralight/watertight first aid kit*

Side Pocket 2:
    • travel pack of dog butt wipes
    • iPhone
    • little plush toy (name: Fatty Crab)

The CC was fairly empty, to be honest. There was room for more stuff but I was packing in a hurry because a dog’s internal clock waits for no one. The first aid kit pretty much maxed out one SP, but the other had room to spare (for a space blanket, another little plush buddy, etc.)

Obviously, what I packed was sort of overkill for the type of walk I was on and the amount of time I was going to be out. I’d be more likely to pack this way for a longer, more rigorous walk in a more remote location.

The Good:
    • These pockets hold a goodly amount of stuff, and I found the substantial waist belt to be pretty comfortable to wear. Each strap is 17” long; when both SPs are affixed to the CC, the whole apparatus has a circumference of 54”. If your waist size is over a 42 or 44, the belt may be too small, depending on the type and number of layers you’re wearing and where you position the belt on your torso.
    • It rained steadily the entire time I was out. The outside of the CC + SP got wet, of course, but the interior and all its contents remained dry.
    • The Side Pockets are very well-balanced. When I wore the CC at the small of my back, the pockets simply sat on either side of my hips, and I didn’t feel like I was listing to one side at all. I tried to balance the weight between the two pockets but it didn’t seem to matter that much.

The Bad (?):
    • The CC + SP really fits best when you wear all three pouches against your back. I found wearing them on the side to be uncomfortable, and wearing it to the front just looked weird. While it’s comfortable to walk with, if you need to access the bag(s), you have to turn the whole thing around, which might be tricky if you’re wearing a bunch of layers or hanging on to a leash. And of course, the poo bag dispenser is up against your back. You either need to let a substantial tail of the poo bag hang down behind you, or stop and swivel the whole apparatus to grab one.
    • The other major potential issue is wearing the Side Pockets with a backpack. I tried it on with every TB backpack I own (which is all of them, minus the Guide’s Pack), and I can safely say that having a backpack on made using the Side Pockets much, much more difficult. I did figure out a work-around, though, which I’ll explain later.
    • Color: I know it’s a totally subjective thing, but it bears mention. Like all the Skookum Dog items, the CC SPs are made with Coyote webbing and trim. With all three pouches and all that Coyote, my Verde CC ended up looking a bit tactical. I don’t think this would matter than much if you were hiking in the woods or something, but I felt a bit conspicuous in the relatively urban area I was in—like maybe I was going to go wading into a pond and shoot some fish.

Happy Discovery #1:
    I tried it so you wouldn't have to, and I can safely report that yes: you can wear the CC + SP cross-body. And no, it doesn’t look too weird, and actually, wearing it this way resolves the aforementioned Potential Poo Bag Accessibility Issue. The webbing belt slides easily through the buckle, meaning you can adjust it much in the way you would a quick-release messenger bag strap.

Happy Discovery #2:
    Hypothetical Question : I don’t have a Citizen Canine. Can I still use these pockets?

Answer: I am so glad you asked, because I spent a good hour last night attaching the Side Pockets to all the different backpacks and shoulder bags I have. The short answer is, if the bag has webbing belt attachment loops, you can use the Side Pockets with it. Longer answer: it works best with backpacks. With cross-body bags, the waist belt ended up pitching at an awkward angle; it was doable, but not comfortable or ideal. And, yes, of course I tried the pockets with the Side Effect. It looked like a monstrous fanny pack (or “bum bag”).

With the larger backpacks, the Side Pockets looked pretty innocuous—and, of course, using the Side Pockets as a waist belt is the work-around to the problem of wearing them with a backpack. With the Daylight Backpack, it seemed somewhat disproportionate, but not awful. If you have a Coyote backpack, the mix of black and Coyote webbing will probably look intentional rather than odd; I think that the Coyote webbing actually looked okay with earth toned bags.

Final Musings
    I think in the right conditions, the Citizen Canine + Side Pockets could be used as a one-bag hiking solution. The tough call for me is carrying water, which I’d want to do if I was going to be out all day. The main compartment of the CC can hold a small water bottle, but then you lose that space that you’d likely want for treats/food or other stuff. Having a bottle in the main compartment can also make it hard to store a tennis ball in the front pocket. But I would be happy to one-bag with the CC + SP if I knew potable water was available for me and my dog.

(Pictures coming...)
    Last edited by Badger; 11-30-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two pictures of me wearing this new upgraded CC. I hope you remember, that after the CC debut I altered mine a bit in looks. Not if funktion of cause. Just for refference, I am 6,2"

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-imb_4776-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-imb_4769-jpg

Ilkyway

PS: Sadly there is not dog right now that would come was I able to wissle like this. But see the lesh? There will be one again!
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Badger, @Ilkyway,

OK guys, I also tried the side pockets with the clips hooked into the Smart Alec lower module pocket webbing loops, and you can wear it comfortably the same way @Ilkyway is wearing the side pockets with the Citizen Canine. You can also hook those gatekeeper clips into the webbing loops of a Side Effect, even though the clips are set for the 1.5" webbing of the Citizen Canine. That size webbing means it will also work hooked to the waist strap of the Ego and ID Messenger bag (just retired). So this is definitely something that you can hook onto an accessory without a backpack.

This is a great configuration for emergency picnics. I can fit a full set of 4.5" Tidbit topper plates into each side pocket along with cutlery as shown in this post about using the 3D Clear Organizer Cube as a portable picnic bag. If you use it with the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket, you can store a thermos in the Modular Pocket.

I really think the Citizen Canine, especially with the two side pockets, would make a great disaster preparedness kit, because everything fits handily around your waist. Sorry, can't upload any pictures.

Another throwaway comment: the Guide's Pack hip belt fits very comfortably with the Side Effec.

Also, I checked that the iPhone 6S will just fit into the Citizen Canine Side Pocket (but not the 6+ or 6S+).

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mh, could I attach the Side Pockets to my Brain Bag padded hip belt?

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolpatinger no that would not work as these pockets are part of the belt. But you could attache them instad. Meaning you could use these two or just one as both or one hip-belt replacement on your brain bag. Just bare in mind that they are not padded and that the strap itself is in coyoty whatever color you would choose for the pockets.

HTH
    Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolpertinger here I have put them onto my Brain Bag. Works but does not give the same kind of "assistance" (if that makes sense) as the padded hip belt.

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5226-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5225-jpg

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It beeing all cold yestarday had me think: I always find it somewhat tedios to get at my Side Effect with my coat on. So on cold dog-walking days with a long coat I would, more for convenionce than for the great look, wear the Citicen Canine like this:

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5239-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5242-jpg

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moriond has come up with another idea to use the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets. So I am only executing her idea here. I teathered the Lower Modular Pocket that is made for the Smart Alec to the side pockets. I went for the second highest attachmentpoint because I liked that both in look and in funktion because this way the lid is very easy to open.

Inside I have a 27 oz Kleen Kanteen and a rolled up small Shop Bag. The later only to show that there is room left, maybe even for a minimalistic (or not made for Giants) waterproof. I would have dog treats in one side pocket, my wallet and key in the other one and a few poo-bags (not a hole roll) foulded up into the top open sleve pocket in the Lower Modular Pocket.

Since seflys are not my strong suit... be kind. This is easy to wear and carrys nicely.

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5243-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5244-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_5246-jpg

Ilkyway

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what I did with my SA LMP. We can be the most uniquely matched TB appreciating pair in the world!

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tpnl this made me laugh!

I think this is nice for hikeing too. Have the water at your side at all times and have a bit less weight on your back.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    tpnl this made me laugh!

I think this is nice for hikeing too. Have the water at your side at all times and have a bit less weight on your back.

Ilkyway
    I fully expected that to be a configuration @tpnl would use, especially since he repurposes his Smart Alec Lower Module Pocket (LMP) to hold his lunch in other bags like the Cadet. I wear these the same way @Ilkyway does, with the LMP down my front right side. I have an extra Black Dyneems LMP that I tried this with, since my Citizen Canine and Side Pockets are Steel. The Side Pockets are a convenient size that can also hold small plates and even eating utensils (slightly smaller for travel purposes, these fit diagonally into the CC side pockets along with the plates and crackers/oat cakes.)

In my case this might be a Zojurushi Thermos that could hold hit tea in the LMP.. Thanks for the great execution, guys.

moriond

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are just a couple of (non) action shots of the CC Side Pockets with dog stuff.

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_00325-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_00327-jpg

Testing out the new Citizen Canine Side Pockets-img_00332-jpg

^That is Fatty Crab, to whom I referred in my original post.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Badger Fatty Crab sais she want to live with me now! Man she is cute!!

Ilkyway

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you want Fatty Crab? He's kind of gross and his squeaker is broken ��

(However: no one is grosser than Mr. Fox, Hippo, and Lion—they're so nasty that it's hard to even look at them, and only one of the three still has a face. Of course, they are the most loved of all.)