Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Is anybody considering using the new Maker's Bag for a sleek iPad Pro bag? Before the debuts I was considering the Daylight Briefcase's thin, stealth look. I doubt I could cram my Sol Republic Master Tracks headphones in the DLBC, as it doesn't look very wide. The Maker's Bag would easily hold the headphones, though.
    I vote for the Maker's Bag. I now have both, and the Maker's Bag is big enough to hold the DLBC entirely.

I still don't have the new laptop I've requested (nagging will be turned up to 11 tomorrow), but I was able to fit the 13" MBPr cache in the zipped pocket of the Maker's Bag. Can't close the zipper, but I could easily slide my husband's Surface Pro 3 inside the cache. I think the cache for the iPad Pro is even smaller.

Then, your laptop is out of the way and safe from the elements in case anything leaks through. Both edge pockets are free to hold bottles, too.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cache for iPad Pro is smaller. I have iPad Pro version and my MacBook Pro doesn't fit in it. Fit of iPadPro into its cache is pretty generous and it seems like people will be fine if you keep iPad pro in any sort of case.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NWhikergal, thanks so much for your feedback about the ballistic nylon. It helps affirm my desire for Aubergine/Steel. I'm excited for the new run of bags next week or so.

All the pictures and reviews have been amazing, but I'm a little disappointed by the lack of toilet paper, watermelons, and pumpkins! C'mon people! This is a serious omission! The Makers Bag from a non knitter (at least not yet a knitter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for all the pictures! I am extremely tempted by this bag, but like many others, hesitating due to the lack of a back slash pocket. The Maker's Bag is otherwise a near perfect bag, but my poor old handle-less Imago might have to keep being my go-to messenger bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    What do you think of the Maker's Bag as a personal item for a long-haul flight? (I would pair it with the A30 as my carry-on.) Would it fit upright under the seat in front, do you think? Does it stand on its own, when full, or is it tippy? It looks like it's a similar depth (front to back) as the Med Cafe Bag, is that right?

(don't mean to pepper you with questions but someone suggested it as a PLO for air travel and that just set my brain afire :))
    Some airlines, mostly outside the U.S., are beginning to limit the size of the personal item. Except for Ryanair, the Maker's Bag will fit all the limited ones I can find. (Well, there is one that is 13" where the Maker's bag is 13.6" but that shouldn't cause a problem.)

It will easily fit under the seat in front of you and offer a different type of carry should you go with a backpack type main carry on.

In fact, while I realize TB wants to market this as a "creative" bag, I think they are missing a huge market by not marketing it as a "travel" bag.

My reasoning goes beyond just as a personal item. That will be revealed in my own discussion of the bag on my website.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @Frank II on this. Assuming I love this bag, I am planning on using it as a personal item/travel day bag. In fact, an am already thinking that I probably need a second one in Dyneema just for this purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of this bag is: though it has pipeing and is from Balistic so it stands nicely upright, it is still squishable so if not packt to the brims it will easily fit into a 13" sizers.

As Tom Bihn Company is kind of famos for great travel bags I cant see, how travlers who come onto this side might not see, that this bag is not only great for crafters but is a generaly nice messanger bag or a great personal item. I do not think people will let them be stoped by a name here. Or so I think

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Northern California
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Makers Bag from a non knitter (at least not yet a knitter)-scarf-mb-jpg

The O-rings up at the top sides are perfect for running a a colorful scarf through, or to hang some lightweight fun items

The Makers Bag from a non knitter (at least not yet a knitter)-chickens-mb-jpg
    Last edited by gochicken; 12-03-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors Wink, Multiplying OPs Smilie

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This looks stunning! Great idea gochicken!

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Cross-posted from the Ravelry TB forums, with apologies. But I'm too lazy to write another post).

Itís here! Itís here! Totally in love already, especially with the Aubergine/Steel combination.

Here it is with my new A30, getting checked out by the kitties:

Loaded up with work EDC stuff (11Ē MacBook Air, water bottle, large pouch with file folders, 2 Moleskines, 2 small travel stuff sacks:

Note there is plenty of room for a knitting project (or two) or a Side Effect if I didnít want to carry a second bag.

Some first thoughts:

Works great cross-body or on the shoulder.

Iím definitely returning the Dyneema LCB I bought just before Thanksgiving, destashing a couple of Swifts, and getting a second MB in Dyneema for travel.

My husband needs one of these as well for the days his Cadet is too small.

I need to buy a second Tool/Pen Wrap as I donít like the way the pen/pencil pouch works in the MB.

TB definitely hit this one out of the park as far as Iím concerned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brendabethman Your MB looks great, glad you like it!

Why doesn't the pen/pencil pouch work with it? Should be enough pockets to drop it into right?
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm I had mine attached to an o-ring (no keystrap) and than put it in one of the top-open pockets in themain compartment. You did not like this or you needed thouse pockets for different things?

Ilkyway

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    @brendabethman Your MB looks great, glad you like it!

Why doesn't the pen/pencil pouch work with it? Should be enough pockets to drop it into right?
    Maybe "work" was the wrong word. I did as @Ilkyway has and attached it to a key strap in the front pocket. But I don't like the way it uses space in the bag and think I'd prefer the TPW. (Or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to buy one :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Hmmm I had mine attached to an o-ring (no keystrap) and than put it in one of the top-open pockets in themain compartment. You did not like this or you needed thouse pockets for different things?

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway, @Jeff A, I think, perhaps, it's just a different preference for ways of accessing pens/pencils through the Tool/Pen Wrap roll. It's kind of cool that in the Maker's Bag you can drop the roll into a pocket (in either the front zippered pocket, with a tether to O-ring, or just using the O-ring connection in the Main compartment), and then pull out + unsnap the roll to access your pens, and have the selection neatly laid out for you in the pockets. Maybe, it's more of an appreciation of using that feature, which is really well supported by the layout of the O-rings and pockets of the Maker's Bag, than a dislike of using the pen/pencil organizer pouch? It may also be a question of how people want to divide resources between the front pocket and the main compartment of the MB. Because of the depth of the Maker's Bag, you have more options in how you configure space usage between the front pocket and the main compartment. Your pack-up, @Ilkyway, takes advantage of the large size of the main compartment for arranging contents, but I bet there are going to be people who like the ability to configure more items in the front compartment, and use/access that independently -- maybe even with the zipper half open -- on the fly. We haven't heard much yet about that sort of reconfigurable usage, but I bet it's one of the features of this bag that people are going to like.

Just my thoughts, YMMV

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    @NWhikergal, thanks so much for your feedback about the ballistic nylon. It helps affirm my desire for Aubergine/Steel. I'm excited for the new run of bags next week or so.

All the pictures and reviews have been amazing, but I'm a little disappointed by the lack of toilet paper, watermelons, and pumpkins! C'mon people! This is a serious omission! The Makers Bag from a non knitter (at least not yet a knitter)
    @Pokilani, We're waiting for @Janine to post a review of the Maker's Bag. She has "a special relationship" with the items you mention (toilet paper, watermelons, and pumpkins). Though actually, I was hoping someone would discuss carrying one of these in the Movable Feast:

(For context, see this post in @Janine's Night Flight Travel Duffle Review). Alas, they're probably sold out of these for Christmas.

Irreverently,

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-05-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: corrected link typo that made some of the original text disappear

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast