Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)

The Pen/Tool Wrap is a fun little accessory that has some quirks. I took some pictures to give you an idea of what kinds of pens/pencils fit best, as well as provide some comparisons with the Ballistic Pen/Pencil Pouch.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00314-jpg

First, fair warning: when you first get this item, nothing will fit. That's because the inner urethane lining is really really sticky. You've kind of got to break it in a little bit, and then getting pens in/out will be much easier. Be patient and don't panic. It will seem impossible until suddenly it isn't.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00316-jpg

So, what fits? Basically, the pens/pencils that I think work best are either wooden, plastic, or aluminum and about the size of a standard #2 pencil.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00319-jpg

From top to bottom: red carpenter's pencil, plastic click eraser, cheapo Papermate grip ballpoint*, orange pen highlighter, #2 pencil, Zebra Sharbo X LT3 multipen, slim mechanical pencil, white ink gel pen, fine-tipped Sharpie*, Pilot grip ballpoint (not Dr. Grip), Cocoiro brush pen*.
    *Anything with an asterisk means it took a bit of force to get the pen into the pockets.

The pens that were bigger than a #2 pencil were easiest to deal with if they were smooth plastic and grip-free.

What didn't fit so well?

From top to bottom: Pilot G2, Pilot calligraphy pen, Pilot G2 Limited Edition, regular-sized Sharpie.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00318-jpg

After quite a bit of effort, I got the plastic G2 to submit to me and I was able to wedge it in. It just wasn't very easy to do, and since G2 pens are so ubiquitous, I thought I'd point it out. The Limited Edition barely fit at all.

ETA: After causing much concern, I want to clarify my point on the plastic, standard-issue G2. With use, you can get the urethane to lose some of its stickiness and the G2 will fit—it just takes a little bit of willingness to be patient. I just wanted to make people aware so they knew what to expect.

I don't own any fountain pens, so I can't help with that—sorry. My suspicion is that if I did own fountain pens, I'd probably carry them in a specially made case with a flap.

The moral of the story here is that pens with big chunky grips aren't going to work too well in the Pen/Tool Wrap because of that urethane lining. It's great for colored pencils, slim gel/roller pens, and even pens with low-profile grips.

When you look at the Pen/Tool Wrap next to the Ballistic Pen/Pencil Pouch, you can see they're comparable in shape and size.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00315-jpg

The difference is capacity. The P/T Wrap gives you space for seven writing instruments:

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00321-jpg

The Pen/Pencil Pouch, by comparison, can hold quite a bit more—in my case, 11 pens and pencils, 2 lead cases, and some eraser refills. I could have gotten more in, too, but this amount was comfortable.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-img_00324-jpg

Whether you use one or the other comes down to the number of items you want to carry and the range of sizes of those items. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Badger; 12-02-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: formatting

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is very helpful. Thank you!

PS: One option to try to get the lining to unstick might be to lightly dust it with baby powder as you separate the fabric?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone filled theirs with DPNs or interchangeable tips? I imagine a mini or micro size might be better for tips though...

I'd love to see photos

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you take a seam ripper to remove a row of stitches and turn two little pockets into one large one?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cara I have not done it to this one but I have done that to a Freudian Slip with great results.

Ilkyway

PS: I am a bit sisser heavy when it comes to personalize my bags and assesories. But I feel the need to say: if you do cut, I wount take any blames :-D
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgirl View Post
    Has anyone filled theirs with DPNs or interchangeable tips? I imagine a mini or micro size might be better for tips though...

I'd love to see photos
    I think @gochicken may have some pictures of this? (but not on this forum). Maybe she can post?

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for this update. As a fountain pen dude, I can say with a good deal of confidence that if a G2 doesn't fit into the pouch, not many fountain pens on the market will, as they are slightly larger. I would hope that another generation Wrap may make space for fountain pens, as I would love a Tom Bihn pouch to carry mine around.
    Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TWSBI 580 and Lamy AL-Stars did not fit, but Sheaffer Prelude and Parker Rialto did. Ticonderoga No. 2 pencil and Pilot Metropolitan were also great fits.

Platinum Preppy pens fit, but it's a tight fit.

It was stated that this is the "small" version of the TPW. Ones with wider slots (maybe loner slots?) will be made in the future.

Cara, making the slots wider might work for one single wider object, but if the intention is to place multiple items (especially of varying thickness) in one slot, then I would think you would run the risk of the middle items sliding out, as they might not "catch" the grippy material that keeps them in.

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-tpw-jpg
    Last edited by gochicken; 12-01-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn it! Most of my pens are G2 and I ordered one. Well, I'm gonna see it before I make up my mind. I'm sure there are all sorts of other uses (even for a non-knitter, non-artist)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sujo, don't despair: I was able to get the G2 pen to fit eventually, but it was difficult. I tested it over the course of two days and it was much more agreeable the second day, so it's possible that with a bit of time, it won't be so tricky. Another thing to try is loosening up each slot with a slightly smaller pen (like a Bic) and de-sticking some of that urethane.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Badger. That's encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    My TWSBI 580 and Lamy AL-Stars did not fit, but Sheaffer Prelude and Parker Rialto did. Ticonderoga No. 2 pencil and Pilot Metropolitan were also great fits.

Platinum Preppy pens fit, but it's a tight fit.

It was stated that this is the "small" version of the TPW. Ones with wider slots (maybe loner slots?) will be made in the future.
    Hmm, most of my every day pens are Al-Stars or Metropolitans, so this is kinda 50/50 for me. But I think I will hold out for potentially wider slots, so I can be sure the Lamys will fit.
    Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    After quite a bit of effort, I got the plastic G2 to submit to me and I was able to wedge it in.
    This.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled review thread while I giggle quietly to myself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    This.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled review thread while I giggle quietly to myself.
    I aim to please, Janine. I aim to please.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, looks like this is destined to be a pigment marker pen roll for me. Most of my pens are on the fat and/or grippy side. Many pens, be they FPs or ball points (technically the gel pen is also a ball point), are either a bit wider these days or have a grip section, so I'm a bit surprised that the slots are so narrow. A longer roll with wider slots would definitely be well-received!

I'll put another suggestion out there. Would a protective flap be a good idea? It might prevent items like pens from rubbing against each other when the roll is rolled up and provide extra security. It's not 100% protection because of the exposed area, but it would help somewhat. A pen roll that I got in Japan many years ago had this feature and I liked it very much. Here's an ugly diagram to show what I mean-

The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't)-fullsizerender-jpg
    Last edited by adalangdon; 12-01-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast