Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag

When my Maker's Bag arrived the other day, I immediately packed it as a work bag, but today I decided to see how it would work as a knitting bag.

First, here's a pic of what I usually carry in my Swift (I use a black Dyneema/UV Swift as my knitting bag):

• Large organizer pouch with patterns and other papers.
    • PCSB, which holds most of the other loose pouches in the photo (which in turn hold needles and other tools). The small COP with headphones and the yarn scale both reside outside of the PCSB.
    • Four WIPS in yarn and travel sacks.

The Maker's Bag held everything except for one WIP in a size 4 TSS:

MB viewed from above, with 2 YSSs on top:

MB viewed from above without the YSSs:

Small COP with headphones attached to key strap went into the front pocket:

After trying this, I ended up putting everything back into the Swift as I prefer it as my at-home knitting bag since the open top makes for easy access. But the MB could be a better on-the-go bag thanks to the cross body factor.
    Last edited by brendabethman; 12-06-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I jump on your thread?

My MB in Navy/Wasabi finally arrived! I love it. I am using it as a knitting bag as well. Here are a couple of photos of what's packed (forgive my lack of photo talent and the office fluorescent lights):

Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-img_4948-jpg

Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-img_4950-jpg

On a typical day, I would probably also have another book, assorted loose papers, mail, newspaper, and a packed lunch. The space is good to hold everything, but I could see maxing it out with larger knitting projects.

I think I really need to get one or two of the clear knitting tool pouches to trim my kit. It will take me awhile to fine tune the organization (but that's part of the fun, right?).
    MrKnitster on ravelry
    Aeronaut 45s in Burnt Orange, Verde, Navy and Steel, all with Northern Sky interior, Maker's Bag in Navy/Wasabi, Swifts in Burnt Orange/Northern Sky, Olive/Linen, Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne and tons of pouches, stuff sacks, straps, etc.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great @MrKnitster! And I hope more folks jump on the post as I love to see the different ways we set up our bags.

Toronto, ON
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally regretting not getting the PCSB when I had the chance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm jumping in on this thread and cross-posting from Ravelry.

Here's my Makers Bag with maximum packing for a day out and about in knitting. I've waiting over a month before posting to see how this bag was going to work out for me. Have to say of all the TB bags I've tried thus far for my knitting purposes, the MB really does work for how I like to live my life. I think I might cross-post some of this to the MB Knitting thread on the TB forums (so sorry if you see this twice).

Below are the outside pictures of my Burnt Orange MB, from the front and side. My typical EDC is everything in the pictures minus the Freudian Sip. On the weekends and some knit nights, I bring the FS with me as it holds additional knitting tools. Without the FS, the bag and contents weigh about 5.3 lbs; with the FS, about 7.2 lbs.

Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-1-jpg
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-2-jpg

Quick shots of the bag packed.
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-3-jpg
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-4-jpg

What exactly is in the bag?
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-5-jpg

* Back inside zippered pocket: 2 A5 Muji
    notebooks, 1 knitting card from a
    Wendy Johnson set, 1 foot template for
    Fish Lips Kiss Heel.
    * Main Compartment: Freudian Slip with knitting tools, 2 small projects in project bags (socks & gloves), 1 Small DOP with bandaids/meds/etc. (attached to upper O-ring), Wasabi double carabiner attached to upper O-ring but not currently in use
    * Main Compartment Pockets (L-R): Work nametag, keys attached to upper O-ring with keystrap, 1 Travelon case containing small tin with knitting notions/3 stitch holders/small knitting scissors/small tape measure, knitting tool pouch with ruler/DPN/stitch holder/1 pen, 2 pocket pouches: 1 with business cards; 1 with earbuds (attached to upper O-ring), Samsung Note 4 phone (not pictured), glasses case.
    * Outer Zipper Compartment: In the pockets are travel size Kleenex, 7 pens, 2 circular needles (1.5, 24"), empty pocket. In this zippered area I also carry Mini OP with nothing as I just moved my earbuds, Small OP with receipts, and my SE. The SE has a shoulder strap and handle strap. When I don't want to use the shoulder strap, I roll it up and place it in that final empty pocket in this zippered area. My SE has store needed documents/cards, wallet, checkbook, inhaler. When I need to stop into a store for something (quick run/get gas/etc.), I throw the MB in my trunk and only carry the SE with my phone and keys inside of it.

Once a week I go to knit night, and on some weekends, I go to my favorite coffee shop for some focused knitting time. I either carry the FS with me or my projects with knitting books in place of the FS. I really debated ordering the FS so initially didn't during the flurry of trying to place an order on launch day. My only regret was not ordering it in the beginning just to save the extra $10 in shipping. ;) LOL! This has turned out to be a great little thing for me to add to the TB collection, especially since it can fit into my Swift as well.

The FS hangs on a hook in my knitting/spinning/craft room (I'm seriously thinking about renaming it to my Makers Room). I often have it sitting next to me on those nights that I get the chance to do some knitting/watch TV during the work week. It has been a great organizational tool to have those secondary items I need while knitting. I no longer have to dig through my drawers in my knitting room.
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-8-jpg

I've found that the FS can hold quite a bit more tools than I was expecting. It currently holds the following items.
    Maker's Bag as Knitting Bag-makersbagmaxed-9-jpg

* In the front pockets: 1 file folder with current and upcoming patterns, Chiaogoo Interchangeable Needle Case, and Chiaogoo DPN case.
    * Back Zippered Pocket, Left Side: Set of small crochet hooks for fixing mistakes, DPNs not in case, Wasabi Small DOP with 11 cords for interchangeable needles, small tin with key and stopper for interchangeables.
    * Back Zippered Pocket, Right Side: 3 highlighters, 2 pens
    * Bottom Zippered Pocket: small cloth zippered pouch and plastic case of knitting notions (stitch markers, locking markers, etc.), stitch counter, WPI tool for spinning, scissors, small tape measure, ChiaoGoo ruler/needle gauge, stitch holders, flossers used for beaded knitting

Overall, this bag is getting high marks from me and lots of feels. This is the bag I am so far thinking I can see myself keeping for the next 10 years, in this exact color and fabric choice.

Now I just need to go back into the knitting room and repack everything after picture taking. Wish me luck. ;)

Forum Member
    New Jersey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like how you are using the FS to hold the additional knitting tools. In fact I may need to add one to my wish list.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos! Thank you for sharing.