Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!

I am so stinking excited! Today is the day I get to take my Christmas gift, an Aubergine/Zest A45, out for its maiden voyage. I think, had I not first purchased a Nordic WF three or so years ago, that I might have found this bag on the smallish side. That's because back then, I was using the largest size wheeled duffle from L.L. Bean. It was a huge shift in my thinking about travel and it pushed my limits, but that WF is probably my all time favorite travel bag. But it has competition now. One challenge I've had with my WF is that it hasn't worked for me as a camping/hiking/travel bag. This weekend I'm headed to Suwanee State Park for some fun family time hiking and canoeing, so I got to pack up my Aeronaut 45 for the first time. Oh my word, I am so impressed with this bag! Here's a peek inside:

To begin with, here is the center compartment. I don't have packing cubes for it (yet), but these are working quite nicely. Underneath them all, I have my toiletries kit.
    A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_5063-jpg
    I feel like an utter failure with this forum when it comes to submitting photos. I'm much more comfortable on Ravelry, so please bear with my upside down shots. I hope you manage to get the idea.
    For the sides I put one hiking boot in each side and filled it out with socks and sundries.
    A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_5064-jpgA45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_5065-jpg

After I stuffed it to the point I thought it would look over full, I picked it up and it still had plenty of places to stuff things. Happier still, I found it wasn't too heavy for me to carry! Oh joy!

Since this trip is a car trip and we are staying in a cabin on the property, I decided to christen my MF as a designated car bag/cabin bag. It is holding all my sundries. This trip is supposed to be a relaxing time. My son is in his senior year of high school, and we wanted to get away from our crazy hectic pace. Therefore I've packed knitting and coloring. My iPad is coming along, but I only plan to use it if I'm suddenly inspired to write a blog post.

Here's how this bag is working out so far:
    A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_2541-compressed-jpg
    First off, I just had to take a photo of my iPhone 6+ case (Oberon) against the Aubergine. I love how it looks!

Here's a photo taken from the top looking down:

A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_2542-compressed-jpg

It is completely full, but I was able to easily bring all I wanted. Here's the spread:

A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_2543-compressed-jpg

Some of the things I'm bringing include two knitting projects (in fabric bags), my Kindle keyboard (currently I'm reading Adventures of Huck Finn, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and A Portrait of a Lady), The Zest TSS contains all my chargers and cords. The Iberian TSS contains my EDC meds, lipbalm, and eyeglass cleaner. I'm bringing the Side Effect to be worn while we canoe. I don't really plan on carrying a bag at all when I hike, as it will be short trails (two miles or less) and I'll be wearing my Macabi skirt. I also have my coloring book and Prismacolor pencils, a game or two, my sunglasses, a reusable bag for my soiled clothing, and my DOP which currently serves as my wallet. The PCSB contains my iPad keyboard. It may never leave its pouch, but it's nice to know it's there if I want it.

Not photoed but still coming along are my arsenal of Shopping Bags (Iberian, UV, Nordic, and NW Sky). They are carrying all the groceries we will need for the weekend.

All is packed. I'm simply waiting for my son to get home from his college class and then off we go!

Whoops! I almost forgot, the UV pouch with the TB whistle is carrying medications for the family. I also finally got our First Aid pouch set up with medicines and bandages and snack bars. I am so glad to be putting these bags to use!
    Attached Images Attached Images A45 and MF in Awesome Aubergine!-img_2540-compressed-jpg 
    Last edited by Mausermama; 01-29-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos Mausermama. I have an aubergine A45 too, but I bought it before the Zest option was available. So, jealous here. Love the matching Iphone case too!
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mausermama, Aubergine lovers throughout the forums will drool over your photos! It looks as though you have a Nordic travel tray in your Aubergine/Zest Aeronaut 45 end pocket, as well as the Nordic Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in your Aubergine Movable Feast (beside an Ultraviolet Standard Spiff Kit?, and next to one of the Steel Parapack Side Effects -- guessing this is the one with UV interior?)

My discovery about coordinated color items for Aubergine is that Ibex has a new purple for this season called Kohlrabi (in their seventeen.5 Merino wool line). It's slightly darker and bluer than Aubergine, but very pretty. (I'm wearing a tee-shirt in that color right now). They also have this lighter colored (grayer than lilac) color called Yukon Sky Heather in their long-sleeve OD Trinity shirt, for those that want their clothing to coordinate with their Tom Bihn bags.

moriond

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    My discovery about coordinated color items for Aubergine is that Ibex has a new purple for this season called Kohlrabi (in their seventeen.5 Merino wool line). It's slightly darker and bluer than Aubergine, but very pretty. (I'm wearing a tee-shirt in that color right now). They also have this lighter colored (grayer than lilac) color called Yukon Sky Heather in their long-sleeve OD Trinity shirt, for those that want their clothing to coordinate with their Tom Bihn bags.

moriond
    Oh boy. I did not need to know that Ibex has that beautiful purple in their lineup!! :)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a handsome purple, moriond -- thanks for the heads-up. (The Woolies 1 Henley in Mulberry is one of my favorite shirts.) Kohlrabi looks ever-so-slightly warmer than the Mulberry, with a bit of red.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the pics and LOVE the iPhone case! Is that Roses in Wine? I have a small Oberon obsess--um--collection myself but mostly just their Kindle covers and jewelry. btw I'm considering this a wild Oberon sighting. I've never known anyone besides my book club friends to be fans of theirs.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked through the Oberon website - what beautiful objects! And it sounds like another lovely company with care and thought behind each item. I especially loved the journeling section.

The costs are too high when converting to Australian dollars for me to justify a purchase (right now at least) but thank you for introducing this company. It is always inspiring to see someone following their passion to make beautiful and well crafted items and ending up with a sucessful business, while staying true to the initial ideas.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Mausermama, Aubergine lovers throughout the forums will drool over your photos! It looks as though you have a Nordic travel tray in your Aubergine/Zest Aeronaut 45 end pocket, as well as the Nordic Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in your Aubergine Movable Feast (beside an Ultraviolet Standard Spiff Kit?, and next to one of the Steel Parapack Side Effects -- guessing this is the one with UV interior?)

moriond
    Thanks, @moriond! I am just now back from the wilderness. It was an Internet hole (just what I wanted!), so I wasn't able to respond to the thread until now. The UV item is a 3D Fabric Organizer Cube. It contained my son's medications for the weekend. Now I need to rush off to check out Ibex. That is my go-to clothing company; I took two of their shirts on the trip.

I also put out a small blog post on the trip. I didn't capture any fabulous TB items, but I did love how organized they all kept me, just like always! :-)

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Love the pics and LOVE the iPhone case! Is that Roses in Wine? I have a small Oberon obsess--um--collection myself but mostly just their Kindle covers and jewelry. btw I'm considering this a wild Oberon sighting. I've never known anyone besides my book club friends to be fans of theirs.
    We love using Oberon cases for our Kindles in our family, but I also really love their phone cases. It is Roses in the Orchid colorway. As an aside, the phone in its case perfectly fits the interior pocket in my Macabi skirt! :-)

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    We love using Oberon cases for our Kindles in our family, but I also really love their phone cases. It is Roses in the Orchid colorway. As an aside, the phone in its case perfectly fits the interior pocket in my Macabi skirt! :-)
    I might just have to get a phone case now hmmmm...

And just out of curiosity, you're not part of the Readers of Kindle Books (RKB) Facebook page are you? That's where all my Kindle loving Oberon friends hang out.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I might just have to get a phone case now hmmmm...

And just out of curiosity, you're not part of the Readers of Kindle Books (RKB) Facebook page are you? That's where all my Kindle loving Oberon friends hang out.
    Nope. Not a member. But it sounds like a group I would enjoy!