Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aunty Em my youngest (the proud knew Sprout owner) used an S19 last summer on a four day trip to London. The key here was the sternum strap that held the shoulderstraps nicely in check.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    So the Sprout arrived yesterday, and while I'm sure it would look great on the 6-almost-7-year-old, after some back and forth with her mother, we've concluded that it is not tall enough for her homework folder. (Fortunately, the 3-year-old is asking for a backpack, so will get this one in December when she turns 4.)

Now I am wondering how the S19 would fit a tall, slender 7 year old. She's probably close in build to Ilkyway's youngest, the lucky Sprout owner at the beginning of this thread, in size. I'm pretty sure the length wouldn't be an issue, I'm worried about whether the straps would be tight enough.
    @Auntie Em, This information is hard to run down, but the strap spacing on the Synapse 19 reverted to the narrower spacing sometime in the middle of 2015. The only official statement about this showed up in this January 24, 2016 post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Mid-2015, we switched the shoulder straps on the Synapse 19 back to the "old" version. This was a tough call for us -- some people definitely preferred the new strap placement while others didn't. Ultimately, it seemed the majority preferred the old strap placement, so we went with that.
    Also, @Toblerhaus has posted pictures of her children wearing the S19

When asked about their heights in the picture, she replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    I don't know their height! Somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 feet. They are 9 and 11 in that photo, and are about 50% percentile height for their age group.
    I followed up with this estimate, which is consistent with the percentile information she gave for the referenced picture:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Ilkyway, You can estimate their heights from the picture, since they are all standing in a line, and you know @Toblerhaus' height is 5'6" (1676 mm). Draw a line (or put a piece of clear tape, or overlay the edge of a clear transparent sheet) diagonally along where their feet are placed. Then measure the heights up from the center of where they are standing, and scale from @Tobkerhaus' height. I did this on my iPad screen, and I estimate her son at 4'4" (1311 mm) and her daughter at 4'8" (1426 mm). There's a likely "slop" in this process, so I could easily be 2-3" (50-75 mm) off.

HTH

moriond
    You don't mention actual heights, but you might be able to overlap this with the 4'4" estimate in the referenced picture in the linked post. They were wearing S19s with the wider strap spacing.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-05-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ilkyway, I was hoping it had worked for her, and thanks, moriond, too. I will look at those other references. I don't know how tall she is, her mother couldn't remember and was going to measure again, as well as measuring her back length. But it sounds like it is an option.

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got an S25 for my 9 yo son (who is 48 inches tall). The bag is huge on him and he needs the sternum strap and waist strap to keep the bag on but he carries so much stuff I fear an S19 won't work but I'd really like to get him down to one. But a Sprout? That will never happen.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sprout (a gift for my niece) just arrived. It's adorable!

I'll confess: I tried it on myself, just to see... not a good fit on my admittedly wide-shouldered 5'8" frame. Oh well! :)

Btw, this is the first item bigger than a Q-Kit that I have seen in person in Navy. It's such a lovely color, and now I want something for my own, ideally in a Navy/Wasabi colorway.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to share a few packing photos. This bag holds the following: iphone, small plastic folder, foldable umbrella, Lifefactory 18 oz. bottle, COW + nano pouch, a pocket pouch, keystrap with keys, Hobonichi Weeks, 3D MOC, sunglasses in a soft case, and a folded-up LSB.

(P.S. if someone could kindly help me rotate the pics 90 deg clockwise I would be very grateful)

This bag is seriously a TARDIS bag.
    The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack-img_3188-jpg

That's a LSB in the elastic pocket!
    The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack-img_3190-jpg

The top slip pocket is great for my COW and coin pouch.
    The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack-img_3189-jpg

The external zip pocket can accommodate a 6+.
    The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack-img_3219-jpg

And it looks really compact when zipped up!
    The Sprout - a Childrens Backpack-img_3220-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow-up post after 4 days of use (at work, etc.):

Well, I just wanted to say that IMHO, TB has really outdone itself with this low-key backpack. It is an exceptionally elegant and economical pack, even by TB standards. The reason I'm saying is that it looks really elegant on the outside with the clean, un-fussy profile, but manages to hold a lot in an organised way with the help of a few but very cleverly designed and well-placed features. For one, the inside pockets along the wall of the pack are surprisingly big and can hold something as thick as a folded-up umbrella. My foldable umbrella sits in one of the pockets and my soft eyeglass case in the other. It helps keep the latter from being squashed by heavier objects. I also really like the O-ring placement in the bag, particularly the single O-ring in the small zip compartment. My 8" strap with house and car keys is attached to that one because it's so easy to access. Speaking of the small zip compartment--even with my keys inside, it still holds my iphone 5C very comfortably for quick access. And I'd think the dyneema version can hold even more!

To sum up: A great little bag with relatively little, albeit extremely thoughtful, organisation that can hold a heck of a lot of stuff. I can only imagine how awesome the adult small pack is going to be.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-16-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Shanisol this is a true Childrens Backpack. I can not see an adult wearing this compftably. But let's voice our combined NEED for an adlutls version of this. ;-)

Ilkyway
    I was just at the store the other day and REALLY REALLY want the sprout with adult length straps. it's perfect as a purse pack. As much as I love TB, there isn't really a girly bag the way this one is. It's a charming little bag. I love my DLBP, but the Sprout has a big more flair.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5