Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase

Hi All,

So, ever since I saw the pictures of the Daylight Backpack in Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon, which @ceepee aptly dubbed as being "like a ninja wearing a business suit", I've been waiting for the Daylight Briefcase (DLBC) to make its appearance in the new Dark Grid Halcyon. These two bags make an awesome traveling combination.

To set the context:
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I like the old Nordic and thought I would be all over the new ...... but this morning I took delivery of a Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon DLBP and now I have a new love. It's like a Ninja wearing a business suit ��

Many of the key usage points of the Daylight Briefcase were made in the debut day thread, The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review, but one of the points I'd like to emphasize is the ability to carry an empty Daylight Backpack, folded in thirds, in the back zippered pocket, in addition to using the DLBC to carry your laptop, notebook, iPad, Kindle, etc.. You always have the option of transferring any or all of the contents of your DLBC, or the entire DLBC, into your Daylight Backpack (DLBP). Both Daylight series bags (Briefcase and Backpack) are lightweight and extremely packable options, and the Halcyon versions extend these advantages.

So here's a picture of the Daylight Briefcase fitted out with my Field Journal Notebook and Side Effect (Original Steel 400d Halcyon/Solar) in the main compartment, with a 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Azure) and Eyeglass Sleeve (Côte & Ciel). The splt front zippered pockets usually take my iPad Mini (under the writing pad at left) and Kindle, along with a book, but they'll also hold the FJN pocket insert (@tpnl's hack) or a Nock Dot-Dash Spiral Pad. When I use the DLBC main compartment for my 13" MacBook Air, I prefer to carry the FJN pocket insert and pad inside the pocket in the main compartment (see the green edge of the Double Carabiner Clip at the bottom of the FJN? more on that later)

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3034-jpg

Here's a more conventional pack up of the main compartment of the Daylight Briefcase. My 13" MacBook Air in a cache (can hook onto the cache with rail attachments). You're now looking at the back side of the DLBC. The laptop, with cache with rails is actually going to be inserted so that the front label faces down. The FJN pen/pencil insert and the Nock Dot-Dash pad are going to sit very flat in the pocket with elastic opposite the laptop, just as you see them in the picture. (This is a much nicer, and flatter configuration than I tried with my first DLBC setups in The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review thread, where in practices I used size #1 travel stuff sacks for accessories when I carried the laptop. The FJN pen/pencil insert is attached to an O-ring via a Double Carabiner Clip. Underneath the FJN pen/pencil insert and Nock Dot-Dash Notebook is the back zippered compartment of the DLBC, where I am going to insert a folded up Daylight Backpack. The strap attached is the Op/Tech Mini SOS -- a smaller version of the Absolute Strap that I'm using here, because I can also attach it to the Field Journal Notebook if I load up my FJN (see the pictures in the thread on Hacking the FJN for details).

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3043-jpg

To orient you, if you're not familiar with the Daylight Briefcase, here's a stock product page shot that shows the inserted laptop in its cache from the top view:

That shot shows the front pockets in use (I usually carry my Kindle and iPad Mini in those split pockets, but you can see that the Nock Dot-Dash pad also fits there. In fact, it's perforated paper size fits the FJN, and the entire pad can fit inside the FJN. But its a nice writing pad to take along when I carry my laptop, and don't take along an FJN.

Here's a view of the inside of the Daylight Briefcase main compartment that @milpool took of one of the Original Halcyon DLBCs. The Gatekeeper straps at the bottom of the photo attach to a laptop in its cache (taken out of the DLBC), and you can see the elastic pocket that sits against the front side of the DLBC. This is where the FJN pen/pencil insert and the Nock Dot-Dash pad make nice, thin inserts that share with the laptop. The Wasabi Double Carabiner Clip I used hooked in where the keystrap is attached to an O-ring in the upper left, and clipped directly into one of the 3-ring holes of the FJN pen/pencil insert.

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3029-jpg

So here's a picture with the FJN pen/pencil insert and Nock Dot-Dash Pad seated inside that pocket opposite the laptop cache Gatekeeper clips in the main DLBC compartment. (The laptop is not inserted, so that you can see the Steel 200d Halcyon lining and also how these accessories sit inside.) I've folded an empty New Nordic Halcyon Daylight Briefcase into thirds and laid it on top of the back. (I'm using the Nordic Halcyon DLBP and not the Black Halcyon DLBP simply because it's easier to see with the color contrast.) You can totally fit a folded empty DLBP inside that back zippered pocket of the DLBC that is carrying your laptop, or the FJN and Side Effect, etc. along with everything else.

Here's the corresponding picture that I posted in the original debut thread for the DLBC:

(This was of a Plum FJN and Steel Parapack/UV Side Effect getting inserted into the main compartment of a plum DLBC seen from the back, with an empty French Blue Cordura Daylight Backpack folded in thirds, and lying on top of the back zippered pocket. In the original thread, I alternatively used that back pocket to carry a merino wool jersey, zipped up. Of course, you can use that back pocket to carry flat things like papers, but you can also use it to carry bulgier items, including sweaters or a folded up Daylight Backpack!)

Here's another old shot from the debut thread of the front pockets of the DLBC in use, along with a 13" laptop in the main compartment (the DLBC is on the left -- other items debuted around that time, too.)

To show you that my iPad mini (in hard case) and Kindle also fit into the DLBC split front pockets (along with the Nock Dot-Dash pads):
    The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3030_blurred-jpg

The front diagonal zippered pocket can fit an iPad Air. However, another option for the main compartment, if I decide to carry my (old) full-size iPad (last model before the iPad Air) is to put the iPad and a Nock Brasstown pen roll into the main compartment:

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3035-jpg

The unrolled Nock Brasstown is lying over my iPad in its cache. You can see that both would fit easily into the DLBC main compartment.

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3055-jpg

This is a picture of the folded up empty DLBP inside the back pockt of the fully loaded up Daylight Briefcase. I've had to pull down the pocket so you can see the edge of the DLBP, and this is also why I also chose to show the Nordic DLBP here for better color contrast. Unlike the flat back pockets on the Pilot, Co-Pilot, Imago, etc. the back zippered pocket of the DLBC can handle contents that bulge out a bit -- great for carrying a sweater or, in this case, a folded up DLBP.

So the unrolled Daylight Backpack beside a packed Daylight Briefcase:

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3038-jpg

With the packed DLBC inside the Daylight Backpack:

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3047-jpg

Or, if you like your DLBP to match your DLBC in New Black Halcyon:

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase-img_3040-jpg

HTH

moriond

Edited this to show a picture of the folded (Nordic) Daylight Backpack inside the back pocket of the Daylight Briefcase (that is packed with my 13" MacBook Air, the FJN Pen/pencil insert, the Nock Dot-Dash pac in the main compartment, and the iPad Mini, Kindle, and Pad in the front pockets, etc.)
    Last edited by moriond; 06-17-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review, @moriond. I'm pleased with my new Black Halcyon DLBC as well. I use it for a 13-inch rMBPro, charger, accessories, pens, small notebook.

Forum Member
    the Puget Sound Region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am telling myself I don't need a DLBP in Black Halcyon, but I certainly do WANT it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one too! Can't justify it since I have 2 already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're KILLING me, moriond!!

I just placed an order for a LCB, MCB, 3DOC and a NWS key strap. Came over to the forums to read for a bit and am already tempted by these beautiful photos!
    EDC: SCB/MCB, Swift for knitting, small shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: kiwi, verde, nordic & black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet, ursa
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    You're KILLING me, moriond!!

I just placed an order for a LCB, MCB, 3DOC and a NWS key strap. Came over to the forums to read for a bit and am already tempted by these beautiful photos!
    @KatrinkaWinkle,

I really like the Daylight Briefcase/Daylight Backpack combination, and I really like the Daylight Briefcase for minimalist briefcase use. There's a lot of discussion in the original The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review about comparisons with other bags in the Tom Bihn lineup, but I'll just add some comments here. The Daylight Briefcase works really well when you want to use a bag that carries close to your body, and when you don't want to pack lots of bulky items. So, even though it has a cross-section that is similar to the Maker's Bag, it's built for flat organization, and it looks pretty professional.

I use the Daylight Briefcase with either my 13" MacBook Air, or my 13" Retina MacBook Pro, but if you're carrying an 11" MacBook Air or the MacBook, or, I suspect, the new iPad Pros, this will work even better as a minimalist carry. Compared to a bag like the Pilot, the Daylight Briefcase fits closer to my side, and works better in crowded commuting situations, because it's less bulky, and I can access all the zippers easily one-handed while the bag is on my shoulder. It's wonderful to use in meetings or conferences. I show the switch over to the Field Journal Notebook, because you can easily switch to presentations or note taking, graphics, and artwork based on paper sketches, or to diagramming on an iPad, as well as running full laptop presentations.

I should also give more attention to the FJN pocket pouch -- especially for people who like an easy way to carry a large phone (iPhone 6 plus) inside the main DLBC compartment. In the thread I linked about hacking the FJN (which also shows how I rig the FJN to take other straps), I spend a lot more time about planners and small notebooks that fit the FJN pocket pouch -- but my iPhone 5, apart from being used to take the pictures, would sink below the edge of the pocket. Id' totally use this in the Daylight Briefcase if I wanted someplace convenient for a a large smart phone, though.

I also wanted to say that I really like the size of the Dot-Dash pads from Nock.co and the way they fit into the DLBC. (I could put one into each of the split pockets in front, but I prefer to put them into the main compartment zippered pocket). Great paper quality and size. Apologies for not really fitting out the Brasstown pen roll that I just received with a full complement of writing utensils, but these pictures were meant to show the DLBC can work really well for paper-based use.

I like having the separate zippered front pockets sized for my Kindle Paperwhite (or a book). And I like the fact that the diagonal front zippered pocket is so easy to use to store envelopes, letters, travel itineraries, etc. (and that I can access this pocket, too, so easily one-handed).

I think this is going to be a killer traveling combination for frequent business travelers, especially if we see the Western Flyer in the new Halcyon fabrics. I was really surprised at how well the 400d weight Halcyon worked for the Western Flyer when I tried it in Nordic. (And this was despite my having previously used 400d weight Dyneema in my Synapse Backpack, Side Effects, Co-Pilot, and Pilot -- I just didn't expect the alternative fabric version to my Ballistic Nylon Western Flyer would be so good in practice.)

HTH

moriond

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mreh View Post
    I am telling myself I don't need a DLBP in Black Halcyon, but I certainly do WANT it.
    It's a fabric that definitely suits the DLBP. I'm not going to rush to get other bags in it but the DLBP is perfect.

Like others I didn't need one (already have a Burnt Orange DLBP) but wanted a second one in halcyon and black grid is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Moriond for being an enable for this stationery lover. Just placed an order with Nock this morning- had no idea they existed but after looking at them a few minutes, I convinced myself I could not live without them.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Thank you Moriond for being an enable for this stationery lover. Just placed an order with Nock this morning- had no idea they existed but after looking at them a few minutes, I convinced myself I could not live without them.
    @sturbridge,

The original credit for mention of the Nock products, and specifically the Nock Brasstown should go to @adalangdon, who mentioned it in a post on the Parental Unit. (Note that the referenced site link no longer goes to the product page.) It was further discussed (by name) in the Thoughts on the Tool / Pen Wrap thread., and one of the external bag reviews of the Co-Pilot featured how various stationary items (including Hobonichi planners and different model Nock pen cases) fit into that bag.

You're fortunate that they just recently restocked their product line (and, I think, that they haven't generally announced it to their mailing list!). Usually, their products tend to sell out much like Tom Bihn products on debut day. When I marked their planned restock day of April 18th, and couldn't find any cases available for sale, my email query came back with the notice that all their Brasstown cases sold out within the hour. The Hightown cases were all sold out earlier this month. Glad that you caught them.

moriond

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw that the Black Halcyon/Steel Daylight Briefcase is "in production" now - I'd been waiting (not so patiently) for the Black Halcyon to come back again.

But I'm wondering if the Steel 200D Halcyon interior lining might feel dark inside? Or is it that because this briefcase has a slim profile towards flat organization, having a light interior might not be as important compared to another bag with a cavernous interior?

BTW, @moriond's ideas on using both the DLBC and DLBP while traveling (having one packed in the other, and vice versa, so that you can switch them out between your backpack vs shoulder carrying modes) was brilliant. That sold me on the DLBC (since I already have a DLBP). I had been wondering what might be the best personal carry item if I was going to switch between backpack and shoulder carrying modes with the Aeronaut 45.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post
    I just saw that the Black Halcyon/Steel Daylight Briefcase is "in production" now - I'd been waiting (not so patiently) for the Black Halcyon to come back again.

But I'm wondering if the Steel 200D Halcyon interior lining might feel dark inside? Or is it that because this briefcase has a slim profile towards flat organization, having a light interior might not be as important compared to another bag with a cavernous interior?
    I have both the Pilot and DLBC in that combo. It is dark(er) in Steel. But, it is also nicer (to me anyway). I really like black halcyon/steel and am indifferent to black halcyon/NWS. New black halcyon/steel is utterly badass.

I've never had issues finding stuff inside bags lined with steel halcyon or navy parapack, but a lot of people seem to have problems with those as interior colours. You should probably make the decision based on how you've reacted to darker lining colours. It is true that you probably won't be digging for stuff in the DLBC as much as you would in, say, a LCB though. And your digging can also be further minimised if you use an organisational tool like a Freudian Slip.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-26-2016 at 08:14 AM.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I have both the Pilot and DLBC in that combo. It is dark(er) in Steel. But, it is also nicer (to me anyway). I really like black halcyon/steel and am indifferent to black halcyon/NWS. New black halcyon/steel is utterly badass.

I've never had issues finding stuff inside bags lined with steel halcyon or navy parapack, but a lot of people seem to have problems with those as interior colours. You should probably make the decision based on how you've reacted to darker lining colours. It is true that you probably won't be digging for stuff in the DLBC as much as you would in, say, a LCB though. And your digging can also be further minimised if you use an organisational tool like a Freudian Slip.
    I just got the Black Halcyon/Steel DLBC today, along with the Field Journal inserts (as my "mini" Freudian slips for organization), and I like the Steel Halcyon interior. The color combination feels rich to me rather than "dark." My worry was that it would be too dark, and kind of gloomy, but I'm not finding this at all. :)

I love this DLBC! I'm so surprised that I've taken to it immediately like I have. It is more spacious than I thought. When I received the Pilot last week, I had to return it immediately because it was way too big and floppy (in Original Halcyon) for my needs.

Highly recommend the FJ inserts for the DLBC! (Thanks to moriond and tpnl for their FJ insert pics).