Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Forum Member weirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    644
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC

    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-wp_20160618_013-3-jpg

    Hey everyone,

    It is quite an coincident that the Daylight Briefcase is once again resurrected in discussion few days ago.
    I'd been wanting to do a review of my Daylight Briefcase, which even I, myself personally find most surprising - it is my most used Tom Bihn Bag and I'd been using it over a year since I traded it over from a great member at Ralvery. The idea of doing the review came across my mind a few months ago but due to work and others tiny but important everyday moments in Life, the review didn't seems to taking off until a few weeks ago, when I forced myself to find some bit of time, here and there - writing, editing, photographing and videoing. Like many say, one have to start some where and gradually, it will be completed. That's what happened and once I got started, the energy to get things done simply effortless.

    The review is not about the color choice, material, neither quality or what fit and what's not. I want to show my Everyday Routine, how I used the Bag and what I carried in and how I carried them as well.


    What I used the Bag for
    The DLBC is primarily my Work EDC, 6 days a week and up to 10 hours daily. I carried it mostly Shoulder Style with Absolute Shoulder Strap when on the move from my Car to Home/On-Premise/Site and vice versa. I don't commute in Public Transportation. And, also I really like the Briefcase-like Top Handle, for quick grab and go especially the Bag is seated in the Car, beside you.

    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-dlbc-shoulder-carried-jpg

    Some bits of history and the opinionated me
    My first impression of the Bag when it was released was "Nah... I don't think I will like it or need it".
    Of course, it wouldn't be a life or death situation with or without it. But over time using it, I have grown accustomed to it. It has slim profile and clean design, yet its functionality is surprisingly not limited, as I thought. Now, if my DLBC somehow lost, it still wouldn't be life or death situation but I will miss it a lot and I may purchase another DLBC. The DLBC taught me really well, getting myself understand what I really want in Work Bag - assisting me in my every Work Routine.


    What I carried



    Main Compartment:
    •A Dell Latitude E7240 13" Ultrabook in Cache 13" MBA Retina Pro
    •4-5 KCK A4 8-Pockets Folio
    •1 KCK A5 Play 10+1 Pocket Folio with 1 Bulk Storage Zip Pocket
    •3 Others brand of A4 Pockets Folio (Slightly shorter height)

    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-dlbc-side-jpg
    I usually carry it with the zip open.

    Back Pocket:
    •A5 Lined Double-Coiled Notebook
    •Freudian Slip: Small Café Bag size
    ◦Pens, Highlighter, My Lumia 1020 (My Personal Phone)
    ◦Lower Zipped Compartment holds a few USB Thumb drives

    Front Pockets:
    •Dell Companion and Logitech Mouse on the Top Opening Front Pockets
    •Skookum Dog Mesh Ballistic Pouch on the Side Pocket



    What I hope to see in the future
    Near future, please don't let this be a long wait.

    I had learnt greatly that Briefcase with Top Zipper Opening is what I need for my Work Routine. Other bag like Messenger Style with Flap to the Main Compartment would also work but it would hamper my Routine. Since I do not need to be overly concern with the weather, the Flap is not required. One of the reason I am still hesitate with Maker's Bag as my Work EDC replacement.

    I am also overly excited with the near future of Tom Bihn. I am looking forward to see a 13" Max Business Briefcase "Empire Builder". Or at least, an expandable Daylight Briefcase for a deeper up to 4.5" from current 3.3". I find my current carry is quite pack and tight. A deeper Briefcase is appreciated.

    Conclusion
    I love the functionality of the Bag very much. Like I said, its slim profile and clean look - complement greatly with my Casual-Neat Work Environment. Nothing flashy that would raise colleague's or client's eyebrow whether it is positive envy or negatively. The common office/human politics. I prefer a healthy relationship, and I believe Daylight Briefcase go along very well and I hope it would continue to do so until "the near future".

    Hope you enjoy my posts and contents.
    Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by weirdguy; 06-18-2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Added Photo: DLBC Side
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn


    BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  2. #2
    Forum Member Perseffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    835
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post @weirdguy. It's great to see the videos especially on how you use the SCB Freudian slip.

    I also have a grey cordura DLBC which I love but I don't use it as an every day carry, it's more for travel. One thing I do love about it is the smooth/soft closing quiet zips. These plastic zips are really smooth in comparison to metal zips in the bigger bags. I like that.

    However I wonder if the plastic zips are less suited to continual use as an EDC. I'm not sure if they have the durability for an EDC bag in the long term. I'm sure the Tom Bihn crew have thought of this but it's a curiosity.

    Anyway, great review, thanks for sharing.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

  3. #3
    Forum Member weirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    644
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Perseffect.
    I didn't intend to make 2 videos. Because the project was stretch over a few weeks. Sometimes, I forgot what I had captured and also forgot what I would like to include in the Review. On the final day when doing compiling and editing, I find out that I have 2 un-edit videos which are both special in its own so I thought why not to include both. Haha. I think you could easily spot my discrepancy between the videos. Nevertheless, I appreciate you dropping in and response. Thanks you very much.

    Also, thanks you everyone for dropping in too. I hope the review is going to be helpful in some ways.

    And @Perseffect, I absolutely agree with you on the DLBC's Zip. The Zip is amazingly smooth, so effortless pulling open and close. Nothing like another other Tom Bihn Bags (I think, I still yet to own every TB Bag :-) Oh. I didn't really realize the Quiet Zip until you mentioned! True. True!
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn


    BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  4. #4
    Forum Member bradnd99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Share
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    146
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review and videos.

  5. #5
    Forum Member weirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    644
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all again,

    I just (finally) received my TB Goodies inclusive two Nordics that I purchased on mid of last month. Hooray!

    @imagineez, you are absolutely correct. When I ran my finger on my Nordic DLBP, I can sense the grid. It is really an amazing feeling. I really like the color on the DLBP too. Now, I kinda wonder how a Black Halcyon really looks like. I actually bought the DLBP for my Wife (as an excuse to buy a DLBP). I think she will use it more than me especially when travel or holidaying. She initially wanted a Plum DLBP due to its purple but I threw in many other reasons that the Nordic is much more better choice - it is "quite purple" too and also it is a much more sophisticated purple. Lol. She rolled her eyes when I tried to re-explain to her. Haha.

    Anyway, I also got myself my first Side Effect - Nordic Halcyon with Iberian lining.
    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-side-effect-se-jpg
    Honestly, I don't really like it. My dated Lumia 1020 can fit into the interior pockets vertically without problem but the height is a very close fit. Might need to be careful when zipped the compartment close. I am thinking to switch to newer phone in the coming months like S7 Active or others which are slightly bigger screen than my existing phone. Should I return it?

    I will prefer a Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket. Does the In-Production UMP's interior pocket design has bigger pocket to allow current smartphone size to be inserted? I'm really looking forward for this.

    Sorry, the reason I choose to post here. I also got myself a MCB Freudian Slip.
    I'd been playing it for a few hours and I think it really works well with Daylight Briefcase's Rear Pocket. Much more better than my previous review SCB Freudian Slip. Hence, I think it is better to post a follow-up to my review on top.
    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-medium-cafe-fs-jpg
    I can be more organized. The Mesh Pockets and the Back's Open Pocket for my Notebooks.

    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-mcb-fs-dlbc-01-jpg
    Another About Daylight Briefcase, after 1 Year of Using as Work EDC-mcb-fs-dlbc-02-mesh-pocket-jpg

    As usual, hope these are helpful.
    Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn


    BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  6. #6
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Honestly, I don't really like it. My dated Lumia 1020 can fit into the interior pockets vertically without problem but the height is a very close fit. Might need to be careful when zipped the compartment close. I am thinking to switch to newer phone in the coming months like S7 Active or others which are slightly bigger screen than my existing phone. Should I return it?
    Probably. There was some discussion back about which bags have pockets that can take a larger smartphone/phablet, and with the SE the larger phones will only fit in the front zip pocket.

    It's one reason I am still holding onto my iphone 5C-- it's one of the last phones that can fit into all the designated phone pockets in TB bags, like the ultrasuede pockets in older Synapses. I've noticed that the ultrasuede is now gone from those pockets, presumably because it's too small to fit most commonly-used phones now.

  7. #7
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,731
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Probably. There was some discussion back about which bags have pockets that can take a larger smartphone/phablet, and with the SE the larger phones will only fit in the front zip pocket.

    It's one reason I am still holding onto my iphone 5C-- it's one of the last phones that can fit into all the designated phone pockets in TB bags, like the ultrasuede pockets in older Synapses. I've noticed that the ultrasuede is now gone from those pockets, presumably because it's too small to fit most commonly-used phones now.
    I disagree about the large phone/SE. I have a very large phone, the LG V10. it might be one of the largest phones around. added to that, I have an extended battery back cover - the battery has 3x the charge and is by Zerolemon. my wallet is a thick field notes travelers notebook. the "wallet", huge phone, and occasionally a kindle voyage/case fit inside the main compartment along with a couple other small items. in the outer zip pocket I keep a LOT of gift cards (I use gift cards for most purchases), a couple of pens, and the rolled up SE strap. (I'm using the dyneema/halcyon SE by the way). YMMV.

    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Forum Member imagineez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Share
    SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Posts
    192
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    @imagineez, you are absolutely correct. When I ran my finger on my Nordic DLBP, I can sense the grid. It is really an amazing feeling. I really like the color on the DLBP too. Now, I kinda wonder how a Black Halcyon really looks like.
    Glad you like it, @weirdguy! I have found that both the look (with the grey grid) and feel of the Halcyon makes me appreciate my TB bags so much more. I think you'll really love the Black Halcyon when you get it!

  9. #9
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    I disagree about the large phone/SE. I have a very large phone, the LG V10. it might be one of the largest phones around. added to that, I have an extended battery back cover - the battery has 3x the charge and is by Zerolemon. my wallet is a thick field notes travelers notebook. the "wallet", huge phone, and occasionally a kindle voyage/case fit inside the main compartment along with a couple other small items. in the outer zip pocket I keep a LOT of gift cards (I use gift cards for most purchases), a couple of pens, and the rolled up SE strap. (I'm using the dyneema/halcyon SE by the way). YMMV.

    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    No no, what I meant is that if he *must* have his phone in the little inside pockets, he should probably return it since he's planning on getting an even larger device.

  10. #10
    Forum Member weirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    644
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Side Effect definitely could carry a large screen smartphone or phablet but I would prefer to have my phone fitted in one of the interior pockets. It is one of the few main reasons I am looking forward in Side Effect - the pocket interior to hold smartphone so my Smartphone wouldn't wonder around, knocking with other items especially keys in the same Main Compartment.

    @adalangdon, I had thought about too.
    If I am not wrong, Ultrasuade can be find it in Co-Pilot (Pilot too?)- one of its Front Pocket. It is quite a wide Ultrasuade Pocket. I am hoping that I could somehow turn one of the FS Pocket with Ultrasuade-able.

    @marytattoo, I am quite surprise to read that your SE holds quite a lot. Wouldn't it be quite pack and somewhat too rectangular to carry it comfortably? Because I tried test-packing last night - containing typical what I would brought when going out for grocery with my wife. Her Rectangular thick Wallet, my phone, keys and her phone. It is definitely not heavy, just - (I don't remember the term) not body-hug. Probably because the way, I carrying it.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn


    BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  11. #11
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,731
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    The Side Effect definitely could carry a large screen smartphone or phablet but I would prefer to have my phone fitted in one of the interior pockets. It is one of the few main reasons I am looking forward in Side Effect - the pocket interior to hold smartphone so my Smartphone wouldn't wonder around, knocking with other items especially keys in the same Main Compartment.

    @adalangdon, I had thought about too.
    If I am not wrong, Ultrasuade can be find it in Co-Pilot (Pilot too?)- one of its Front Pocket. It is quite a wide Ultrasuade Pocket. I am hoping that I could somehow turn one of the FS Pocket with Ultrasuade-able.

    @marytattoo, I am quite surprise to read that your SE holds quite a lot. Wouldn't it be quite pack and somewhat too rectangular to carry it comfortably? Because I tried test-packing last night - containing typical what I would brought when going out for grocery with my wife. Her Rectangular thick Wallet, my phone, keys and her phone. It is definitely not heavy, just - (I don't remember the term) not body-hug. Probably because the way, I carrying it.
    no, it isn't going to body-hug when filled. since it's small, it doesn't take much to fill it. but at the same time, things don't rattle around inside. if it's too small, have you considered the packing cube shoulder bag?

    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Volunteer Moderator tpnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Share
    Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Posts
    1,385
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am confused ... but any reason not to use the front zippered pocket for holding our ginormous phones? Or is it just preference to want to put the phone in vertically in the the SE interior pocket?

    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

  13. #13
    Forum Member Amy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    507
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Maybe I am confused ... but any reason not to use the front zippered pocket for holding our ginormous phones? Or is it just preference to want to put the phone in vertically in the the SE interior pocket?

    Cheers!
    I prefer to put my big ass phone in the outer zippered pocket by itself. Easy to access, doesn't get scratched, plenty of space.
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

  14. #14
    Forum Member Pokilani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,322
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I prefer to put my big ass phone in the outer zippered pocket by itself. Easy to access, doesn't get scratched, plenty of space.
    Me too! I place it in he outer zipped pocket with the front of the phone facing toward the main compartment of the SE for the exact same reasons!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,731
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the outer pocket for the attack of gift cards. in the car, I usually keep my SE unzipped so I can grab the phone if necessary. easier for me to get it out of the main compartment. but that's me.

    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •