Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasabi Love

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasabi Love

I received my SCB in Black Halcyon/Wasabi this week and I was pleasantly surprised at how green Wasabi is in person. I don't eat actual wasabi and I expected it to be more yellow based upon on the color on my computer screen. I'm now (almost) wishing I had ordered the MB in wasabi instead of NWS. I wanted to share some photos to show the difference. The more green photo is what in looks life IRL to me. I love it. I just wanted to share.

Wasabi Love-8a6bb67a-4479-422f-a937-644123df9532-jpgWasabi Love-a6bb4d64-1069-48ea-b852-88be9b7e7429-jpgWasabi Love-b3ae0d03-a943-4ef3-b264-5090237dd983-jpg

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another wasabi lover here! You're right -- photos make it seem more yellow than it actually is. The nordic halcyon also helps bring out its beauty.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, maybe I’m the exception, but not so much of a Wasabi fan. Now, I don’t hate it necessarily, but would have much preferred something like Solar for the interior color of my new MCB in Black Halcyon.

I guess this also brings up a question I’ve had since first visiting the TB site and that is – why Wasabi? It seems like it’s the first color used for interiors of new bags and almost always available. Is it sort of an informal TB trademark or is it just the perfect interior color and I’m just missing it. Also, please remember this is not intended as a criticism, but just some good natured inquiry.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned black and navy ballistic items combined with both solar and wasabi.

Against both the black and navy, the solar is a high contrast. The wasabi however doesn't have quite the same jarring difference. It somehow appears to soften into the ballistic partner colour whilst still being a distinct and different interior.

Although I love my navy solar items I prefer navy wasabi (and even more so navy/UV but that's for another thread).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    Well, maybe I’m the exception, but not so much of a Wasabi fan. Now, I don’t hate it necessarily, but would have much preferred something like Solar for the interior color of my new MCB in Black Halcyon.

I guess this also brings up a question I’ve had since first visiting the TB site and that is – why Wasabi? It seems like it’s the first color used for interiors of new bags and almost always available. Is it sort of an informal TB trademark or is it just the perfect interior color and I’m just missing it. Also, please remember this is not intended as a criticism, but just some good natured inquiry.
    I was expecting the interior to be a little more jarring as well. I didn't originally want that in a MB, but liked the idea for the SCB. I have not seen solar in person, but I can see how it would quite different.

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasabi Love

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Although I love my navy solar items I prefer navy wasabi (and even more so navy/UV but that's for another thread).

Navy/UV is the BEST (well, except maybe for Nordic/UV).

ETA: I also think Nordic/Wasabi is a great combination. The new Nordic really brings out the best of Wasabi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brendabethman; 07-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Wasabi with Original Halcyon. And it looks great with Navy too!

Forum Member
    Utah
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Wanderlust View Post
    The more green photo is what in looks life IRL to me.
    Interesting, as it looks to me like a more saturated version of the yellowish color. Worth noting that we are looking at these photos on different screens, each with its own color characteristic.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasabi has been a confusing color for me on how I respond to it.

When combining it with Original Halcyon, I think the Wasabi looks splendid in my Co-Pilot. (My Steel Dyneema Smart Alec was a nice fit with Wasabi too).
    It seems to me that the white grid of the Original Halcyon blunts my focus on the interior Wasabi color so that the exterior and interior seem to work well together - the Wasabi color doesn't stand out so much for me, while being utilitarian as a light interior color.

But I'm unsure of how I'd respond to Wasabi with Black Halcyon (or Wasabi with Nordic) because of how the Wasabi color would likely stand out much more compared to the Original Halcyon.

In low level lighting (and yellowish lighting), I do not like the appearance of the Wasabi. It appears washed out and more yellowish to me.
    In good neutral lighting, the Wasabi appears more green to me and with some depth - I like it much more.

I'm all over the place with Wasabi.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasabi goes with most of the exterior fabric colours, so I'm guessing that's why it's always available in combos.

I really hated Wasabi at first ("pea soup green", "alien barf green", etc. were names we gave it around here lol) because it struck me as a colour that couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. Like, it's bright green, but not NEON green (like Kiwi, which I love). It also wasn't bright yellow, like Solar (which I also love). I also hated the Aubergine/Wasabi combination that many people like around here. And well, I was also irked by the fact that it's not the colour of actual wasabi or fake wasabi (lol). But that kind of changed over time after I ended up with a couple of Wasabi stuff sacks and a Wasabi SE-- somehow "alien barf green" became "spring leaf green" after a while. I now think it's OK as a standalone colour, or even nice with Nordic, Steel or Black (but especially with the old black halcyon or new Nordic).
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-14-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @adalangdon, you almost made me spit out my coffee laughing at your descriptions! Most of my bags have wasabi interiors, as I love the non-neon high visibility it offers for interiors. Especially when I recently purchased a black halcyon MB, I appreciated the wasabi as a way to covertly brighten up the bag overall, which I will definitely appreciate on gray Seattle days. While I adore the solar cheeriness of my S19's interior, I find that I almost can't look at it directly sometimes as its brightness is the equivalent of an overly cheerful morning person when I am pre-coffee. Helpful, yes, but mildly overwhelming in its cheeriness when taken in large doses. My solar interior is whistling "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" as I am muttering "time to make the donuts" and trying to wake up, ha ha.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually love the wasabi color. It took me decades to warm up to any green color, but now greens are my favorites. I find wasabi makes finding items very easy in the interior of the bag. I happen to love the aubergine / wasabi color combination. It definitely lets me know when I've left a zipper open. I don't think I'd want wasabi as an exterior color, but I love it as an interior color.

cave of caerbannog
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasabi is wahndurful!!! So cheery!!!

Agree...wouldn't like it as the exterior of a large bag, but as a pouch/3DOP it is perfect!!

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, Wasabi and Original Halcyon are the only colors/patterns I like. I may venture out to other colors in the future, but right now all my main bags are org halcyon/wasabi. When I heard that the original halcyon was being fazed out I made sure I ordered the western flyer and small/large shop bags in that print too. I have more items on my wish list I hope to buy in the near future with that print before it's depleted and will get the Wasabi interior too.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Wasabi goes with most of the exterior fabric colours, so I'm guessing that's why it's always available in combos.

I really hated Wasabi at first ("pea soup green", "alien barf green", etc. were names we gave it around here lol) because it struck me as a colour that couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. Like, it's bright green, but not NEON green (like Kiwi, which I love). It also wasn't bright yellow, like Solar (which I also love). I also hated the Aubergine/Wasabi combination that many people like around here. And well, I was also irked by the fact that it's not the colour of actual wasabi or fake wasabi (lol). But that kind of changed over time after I ended up with a couple of Wasabi stuff sacks and a Wasabi SE-- somehow "alien barf green" became "spring leaf green" after a while. I now think it's OK as a standalone colour, or even nice with Nordic, Steel or Black (but especially with the old black halcyon or new Nordic).
    @adalangdon,

I'm curious about whether you have different impressions about Wasabi in the original solid (500d Cordura) shade as opposed to the Halcyon (200d white grid) color. Long before there were Dyneema/Halcyon interiors or accessories (e.g., before the first Aeronaut ever debuted), the solid Wasabi color was a staple interior lining for bags. We used to see common color combination of Cocoa/Wasabi or Plum/Wasabi in the Cafe Bag lines, then in the Imagos and Ristrettos.

Here's an example of the very first generation Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, with the bag open, so you can also see the Large Organizer pouch in 500d Wasabi Cordura that is pulled out a bit in back, to make it slightly easier to see one of the old Levenger Briefcase folders I used inside the pouch to hold papers.

All the example combinations you listed as being (formerly) disliked for Wasabi (as an interior with Aubergine Ballistic nylon, or as stuff sacks, Side Effects, or pouches) used the Halcyon/Dyneema grid pattern.

BTW, for the original poster and others who like the Original Halcyon/Wasabi combination for the cafe bags, I also liked the original (black) Halcyon/Solar combination for these bags. Back when the Pilot first debuted, there was some confusion about the fit of various size travel stuff sacks in the water bottle pocket, and I posted this picture of the size #2 Solar Travel Stuff Sack inside the Original (Black) Halcyon/Wasabi Pilot:

They later made cafe bags in this Original Halcyon/Solar color combination before solar was discontinued. (I know that not everyone likes the solar interior; but I do in this case). Also, I agree that wasabi looks really good with the new (grey grid) Nordic halcyon.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-18-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast