Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini

As mentioned over in the Azure thread, I picked up the last (at the time) Field Journal Notebook a few weeks ago with visions of converting it to an iPad Mini carrier. I spent a little too long thinking a little too hard about how to accomplish that, but in the end it was a fairly simple method, particularly since I have no need to keep any paper inserted.

Take one FJN (minus the shoulder strap, because it annoyed me)
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5075-jpg

Pick up some good velcro, and maybe an FJN organizer insert and an 8" tablet sleeve
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5076-jpg

Attach the scratchy half of the velcro to the plastic back of the FJN binder insert in whatever pattern will hold your device best
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5077-jpg

Stick the soft half of the velcro onto the scratchy half, with the "sticky" side up waiting for your device
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5078-jpg

Here's where you have a choice - you can either attach a sleeve to double-protect your device, or go straight to your device (in my case keyboard) to attach it.

Here is what the sleeve looks like - I tried this with an Amazon Basics 8" Tablet sleeve, and decided that was one step too many for me since I have a keyboard cover:
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5083-jpg

Press firmly but carefully down on your device (or sleeve) to attach the sticky velcro to it. If you're using a sleeve, let it set for a while before you try separating the velcro.
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5080-jpg

One iPad Mini, properly fastened in with it's magnetic keyboard cover below. The FJN insert still fits nicely on the rings to add an extra couple pockets for cables, iPhone, etc.
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5081-jpg

And due to the nice layout of the FJN, there isn't even a need to remove the keyboard in order to use it, just flip the iPad up and start typing!
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5082-jpg

And for the final touches, add on some cord pulls, keystraps, and organizer pouches with bits like headphones or charging cables as needed
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5087-jpg
    Rambling On. . . . .

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Applause (not going to include the emoji for this, because I find that too annoying)!

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    As mentioned over in the Azure thread, I picked up the last (at the time) Field Journal Notebook a few weeks ago with visions of converting it to an iPad Mini carrier. I spent a little too long thinking a little too hard about how to accomplish that, but in the end it was a fairly simple method, particularly since I have no need to keep any paper inserted.

Take one FJN (minus the shoulder strap, because it annoyed me)
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5075-jpg

Pick up some good velcro, and maybe an FJN organizer insert and an 8" tablet sleeve
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5076-jpg

Attach the scratchy half of the velcro to the plastic back of the FJN binder insert in whatever pattern will hold your device best
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5077-jpg

Stick the soft half of the velcro onto the scratchy half, with the "sticky" side up waiting for your device
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5078-jpg

Here's where you have a choice - you can either attach a sleeve to double-protect your device, or go straight to your device (in my case keyboard) to attach it.

Here is what the sleeve looks like - I tried this with an Amazon Basics 8" Tablet sleeve, and decided that was one step too many for me since I have a keyboard cover:
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5083-jpg

Press firmly but carefully down on your device (or sleeve) to attach the sticky velcro to it. If you're using a sleeve, let it set for a while before you try separating the velcro.
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5080-jpg

One iPad Mini, properly fastened in with it's magnetic keyboard cover below. The FJN insert still fits nicely on the rings to add an extra couple pockets for cables, iPhone, etc.
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5081-jpg

And due to the nice layout of the FJN, there isn't even a need to remove the keyboard in order to use it, just flip the iPad up and start typing!
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5082-jpg

And for the final touches, add on some cord pulls, keystraps, and organizer pouches with bits like headphones or charging cables as needed
    Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini-img_5087-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea! I love how portable it is. I'm surprised no-one's done this before.

My only question is, how secure is the iPad? If you shake the Field Journal, could the iPad come out of the magnetic closure? I would be tempted to either add foam around the keyboard/iPad or to use a case. But, obviously, that depends on how securely the iPad is held.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejour View Post
    That's a great idea! I love how portable it is. I'm surprised no-one's done this before.

My only question is, how secure is the iPad? If you shake the Field Journal, could the iPad come out of the magnetic closure? I would be tempted to either add foam around the keyboard/iPad or to use a case. But, obviously, that depends on how securely the iPad is held.
    With the FJN zipped (as I intend it to be for travel) the iPad is very secure in the magnetic attachment to the keyboard case. There isn't enough surrounding room for the iPad to have enough space to shake loose, either.

That said, I'm still considering adding some sort of elastic band around the iPad, similar to what is shown over in this post in the "Hacking the FJN for Levenger" thread.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh. I thought I'd ruled out the FJN, but this looks like the perfect hack to house my iPad Mini and keyboard...
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clever @Meglet. I love the idea of repurposing the FJN. Thank you for sharing your pictures. This is really cool.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this idea but the binder insert would annoy me being left in there. I really wish we could buy/receive a 2nd plastic shaped back panel without the binder attachment that way you could swop them between binder for paper and plain plastic for using with iPads, notebooks, whatever else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks the the rings from the binder let you prop up the iPad. So smart! Great idea, @Meglet!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The binder rings are surprisingly not annoying, since they let me add a pocket insert to hold my iPhone and other bits. Although I agree, I would not mind replacing it with a non-ring flat back insert. I actually considered moving the front cover insert to the back to get rid of the rings, but in the end they worked out for me.

@luvdabags, actually the keyboard itself has a slot for standing up the iPad Mini, so it's resting forward of the rings and not propped on them at all. They're just hanging out to give shape and spacing and attachment for the FJN insert.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Meglet, OH! cool. Those engineers of the portable electronics think of everything! Love the Azure of your FJN.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What keyboard is this? Is the iPad just between the three rings and the keyboard or is it an Anker keyboard with a specific slot? This looks like a really cool set up... I'm considering!
    The bigs: BB ■ | S25 ■ | Pilot
    The littles: LS ■ | LSB | SSB | PCSB | SE | CC | 3DOC | PP

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    What keyboard is this? Is the iPad just between the three rings and the keyboard or is it an Anker keyboard with a specific slot? This looks like a really cool set up... I'm considering!
    It is the Anker keyboard with a slot to stand the Mini up. I really like the keyboard, although the keys are super tiny they are still quite useable.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an incredible FJN hack, Meglet! It gave me a nudge into trying out a digital bullet journal, switching from an analog version.

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilAve View Post
    That's an incredible FJN hack, Meglet! It gave me a nudge into trying out a digital bullet journal, switching from an analog version.

Would be interested to here how a bullet journal can be done digitally. I've never found anything flexible enough digitally that also has some measure of control.

Thanks

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast