Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    124
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag

    i bet that header might seem weird to the non-crafters, but I was facing a problem with my needlepoint projects. For one they tend to be big, and on scroll bars, which awkwardly don't fit in the Maker's bag, and stick out of the top of the Swift. I for one, tend to use my Makers bag as my cross stitch project bag and my Swift for knitting. But my needlepoint projects only fit in large totes. Until I had an ah-hah moment!
    I have a daylight backpack, and to be honest I don't use it much because my S25 is pretty much my EDC because I have a big older 15" MacBook Pro. But as it turns out, it is perfect for needlepoint that is on scroll bars.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    As you can see the project fits nicely and I also attached a small dyneema pouch to hold my scissors and threader so they don't get lost on the bag.
    I put my gallon sized bag of wool in the bottom shingle pocket to help pad the bag of the bag. It is just enough to keep the frame from banging around on your back.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    There is plenty of room within the bag to add more stuff, but really I find it lightweight and easy to carry to places like this. Simple, straightforward, I can always grab my project with my purse and go. (And if I don't want to deal with a purse I can drop my side effect in there, or a small purse.) Plus the needlepoint is totally covered and protected, so I don't need to worry about it getting damp in rain or dusty.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    So of all things my daylight backpack works great for needlepoint mainly because of its "tall" configuration. Perfect for minimalist crafting!
    (Needlepoint project is from Erhman Tapestries. I order the kits from the UK, and this is a smaller kit. Some of the big pillows would only fit on my largest frame, which isn't portable anyway.)

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    634
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, indeed! It seems that there is a perfect Tom Bihn bag for every craft. Thanks for sharing this idea! elisa

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,648
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still searching for the perfect weaving tote bag. So far, a large shop bag works, but isn't ideal because it doesn't zip shut, and doesn't have enough pockets.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    i bet that header might seem weird to the non-crafters, but I was facing a problem with my needlepoint projects. For one they tend to be big, and on scroll bars, which awkwardly don't fit in the Maker's bag, and stick out of the top of the Swift. I for one, tend to use my Makers bag as my cross stitch project bag and my Swift for knitting. But my needlepoint projects only fit in large totes. Until I had an ah-hah moment!
    I have a daylight backpack, and to be honest I don't use it much because my S25 is pretty much my EDC because I have a big older 15" MacBook Pro. But as it turns out, it is perfect for needlepoint that is on scroll bars.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    As you can see the project fits nicely and I also attached a small dyneema pouch to hold my scissors and threader so they don't get lost on the bag.
    I put my gallon sized bag of wool in the bottom shingle pocket to help pad the bag of the bag. It is just enough to keep the frame from banging around on your back.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    There is plenty of room within the bag to add more stuff, but really I find it lightweight and easy to carry to places like this. Simple, straightforward, I can always grab my project with my purse and go. (And if I don't want to deal with a purse I can drop my side effect in there, or a small purse.) Plus the needlepoint is totally covered and protected, so I don't need to worry about it getting damp in rain or dusty.
    Daylight backpack as needlepoint bag-image-jpg
    So of all things my daylight backpack works great for needlepoint mainly because of its "tall" configuration. Perfect for minimalist crafting!
    (Needlepoint project is from Erhman Tapestries. I order the kits from the UK, and this is a smaller kit. Some of the big pillows would only fit on my largest frame, which isn't portable anyway.)
    Wonderful idea! What kind of yarn is that?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'm still searching for the perfect weaving tote bag. So far, a large shop bag works, but isn't ideal because it doesn't zip shut, and doesn't have enough pockets.
    Place Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, Side Effects, Side Kicks and/or Clear Quarter Cubes inside the Large Shop bag main compartments and 3D Cubes in the side pockets.

    Secure the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, Side Effects and Side Kicks to each other with Short Key Straps and/or the Clear Quarter Packing Cubes to each other with Double Carabiners.

    Secure the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, Side Effects, Side Kicks or the Clear Quarter Packing Cubes to the Large Shop Bag using Long Key Straps.

    I don't know what is needed for weaving, so a description of that would help finding the right TB Accessories to optimize the Large Shop Bag versatility to your hobby.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    124
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a kit from Erhman tapestry, which is based in the U.K. They supply 100% wool for their canvases.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,648
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions backpack. I'm not looking to put a bunch of little bags in a big bag, as my weaving supplies are large, bulky or oddly shaped. I'm looking for a big bag with pockets that zips shut.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BWeaves;135584]Thanks for the suggestions backpack. I'm not looking to put a bunch of little bags in a big bag, as my weaving supplies are large, bulky or oddly shaped. I'm looking for a big bag with pockets that zips shut.[/QUOTE

    I think you have to ask Tom and Nick for a Weaving Swift, if you are on Ravelry, or any other weaving forum, rally up Bihnthusiasts to ask for it.

    It worked for the Return of the Little Swift.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    It's a kit from Erhman tapestry, which is based in the U.K. They supply 100% wool for their canvases.
    It is exquisite, the design is a lovely mix of modern looking flowers and, background, whose color, gives out a sophisticated Victorian flair and matches your Daylight Backpack!

    If able, please share a picture when it is completed!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •