Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    There is a new OP size? Can't seem to find that on the website. Can you tell us more about it? Thanks.
    This is actually the OP that comes with the Hero's Journey to hold all the accessories (lashes, straps, hip belt, handle, etc.). It's a bit larger than a Medium but not as wide as a Large; as Ilkyway notes, it fits perfectly in the top pocket.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a new OP size? Can't seem to find that on the website. Can you tell us more about it? Thanks.
    Let me check on this, as soon as I have a confirmation, if/when that is available I do some comparison shots, ok?

Ilkyway

Badger was faster and better informed ;-)
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was a gourgous day over here and I took the oportunity and got some extra shots of the Top Pack in shoulderbag mode:
    Carried by me and my husband, both over 6 foot tall:
    The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1569-jpg

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1627-jpg

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1634-jpg

And here the content:
    The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1568-jpg

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @luvdabags,

The new OP designed for the HsJ is the Northwest Sky pouch shown in @Ilkyway's post #4. It runs the length of the Top Pack, so it basically matches the width of Aeronaut 45 packing cubes (about 13.4", I think?; you'll have to get the dimensions from the HsJ product page when the final version goes up: something about an inch taller than the 7" height of the Medium OP and a tad more than 3" longer). I'm not sure whether they'll list this with the Halcyon OPs right away, since first production is for the HsJ.

The new OP for the HsJ is a good size for a lot of bags: DLBC, back pocket of Pilot, Maker's Bag, Imago, PCBP for Aeronaut, etc. It also fits some usage profiles that the medium OP is slightly tight for -- like carrying a hard cover medium (A6) Leuchtturm1917 notebook.

HTH

moriond

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @luvdabags here are size comparison shots: It is a large Double OP, the HsJ one i NWSky, a medium OP in UV and a small OP in Navy

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1663-jpg

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_1664-jpg

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pictures don't deserve their own thread so I'm going to take the classiness of Ilkyway's thread down a notch and post a few here.

The top pack is a great overnight bag:

I fit the following in with room for more:

Small A30 Aether packing cube with long sleeved shirt, socks, and underwear; Clear 3D OC with toiletries; Medium Double OP notebooks, pen, multitool/knife, earbuds, and peanut butter; Klean Kanteen 12 oz insulated tumbler; Vertical Cache with 11" MBA—this was a squeeze and I don't recommend carrying anything larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, your pictures are so beautiful (as always!)

Badger, you got a lot of stuff in there... I had thought it was too small for an overnight bag... you have me thinking otherwise.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    Ilkyway, your pictures are so beautiful (as always!)

Badger, you got a lot of stuff in there... I had thought it was too small for an overnight bag... you have me thinking otherwise.
    @gochicken,

In horizontal mode, the Top Pack's capacity is slightly larger than the Pilot, and without the breakdown for a dedicated water bottle pocket and side pockets it can definitely function as an overnight bag.

moriond

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @gochicken,

In horizontal mode, the Top Pack's capacity is slightly larger than the Pilot, and without the breakdown for a dedicated water bottle pocket and side pockets it can definitely function as an overnight bag.

moriond
    And I've loved using the Pilot for weekend conferences. I will have to play with the HJTP. It seems to be able to play multiple roles.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your pictures Ilkyway! Not only of the HJ and its content and accessories but the landscapes and both your very nice looking husband and self.

I also like the OP size comparison!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to do that!

I especially liked the scale pictures with the Aeronauts and the ones which detail the capacity of the carry on, as well the one taken by CP at the airport.

Badger, thank you so much for showing the capacity of the built in carry on as an overnight bag, you first picture show that it can look like a respectable briefcase.

Love, love, love the HJ. Even for a non hiker, this Brain Aero Bag is just wonderful!

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    backpack! So very nice to see you! Thank you for your kind words.

Have a great day
    Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So many great pictures here! I looked through my pictures, and most of the points are better covered in the pictures posted by @Ilkyway, @gochicken, and @Badger. So I'll only add a few shots of the HsJ's Top Pack.

In backpack mode, this is a really nice bag to use for a picnic lunch + your minimal overnight:

Here's the packed bag, with a 1 liter Sigg Tribal water bottle in the pocket. To the right is a similarly sized Matterhorn Water Bottle from 2012, bearing the Tom Bihn logo. The Aubergine/UV Pocket Pouch attached to the O-ring is holding the Travel Pillow. (I could have attached it more directly, but I wanted to give the Koala Bear something to cling to).
    The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3113-jpg

The size of the Top Pack carried as a backpack is 10 liters, similar to the Co-Pilot. Here are the contents of the bag displayed. That's a Solar Dyneema Tri-Star End Cube (from when you could briefly order solar packing cubes -- about the time the Tri-Star was first released). I could have used an A30 small packing cube, or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag instead to hold clothing.

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3116-jpg

However, the split in the divided sections inside, makes is easy to pack small lunch boxes, including Bento boxes and small plates. This setup in a small pack is very convenient, since it can also hold my change of clothes. And this doesn't even show the use of the zippered pockets inside the open Top Pack.

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3112-jpg

(By the way, the small plates are the ones I posted about in @sturbridge's 3D Clear Organizing Cube as portable picnic kit (because you never know...) thread:

Some of the packing cubes that can easily fit the Top Pack are shown here:
    The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3114-jpg

The Sigg and Tom Bihn Matterhorn water bottles are at the top. A Co-Pilot (Steel Ballistic Nylon/Solar) is at the top right -- as a reminder of the similar 10-liter capacity. In order from the top: Solar Tri-Star end pocket, Northwest Sky organizer pouch (the new size designed for the HsJ), Island Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. (Both the Island PCSB and the Solar Tri-Star end pocket with clothes inside fit into the HsJ Top Pack in backpack mode.)

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3118-jpg

Here's a picture of just the Island PCSB inside the HsJ Top Pack in Backpack configuration.

There were some questions about A4 paper and the Top Pack. Here's a Rhodia A4 notebook on top of the Top Pack in horizontal carry mode (where the capacity is 15 liters):

The Hero's Journey early thoughts and pictures-img_3103-jpg

With the Nordic backing, you can see that the A4 paper clears on all four sides. Letter paper folders fit a little more closely, as @gochicken has mentioned.

As @Ilkyway said earlier, I wasn't sure that I would really prefer the Nordic/Black combination, but I really do. And having the Nordic background certainly made illustrating certain points easier!

Nobody has spoken in depth about the Travel Pillow (shown in the Pocket Pouch), but I do quite like this. The fabric surface is surprisingly comfortable. The main challenge is finding something "puffy" enough to act a stuffing. For me, the down vest that I sometimes carry (usually in the water bottle pocket of my Tri-Star or Western Flyer) can serve that purpose. My Nau Lightbeam rain shell is so light weight that, while not uncomfortable, provides very little stuffing for the pillow. And my merino sweaters are all dense packs. But I do like this and will continue to experiment.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-11-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: originally typed "A5" when I meant to refer to A4 size paper

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top pack in Nordic is extremely striking when worn as a shoulder bag. Great photos @Ilkyway! While I stayed with black to also use the HsJ for work travel, the Nordic looks fantastic in everyone's photos. Also, I love the "cat out of the bag" first image in the thread.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NWhikergal I like the two colourd version, but I have to say, the all black version looks very sharp too!

The "cat out of the bag" idea was Darcy's so credit goes to her and the cat ;-)

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this looks great for casual backpacking and traveling. The only issue I can see is the backpanel getting really hot and sweaty. I trekked up a mountain here in the UK (so not too hot) last month with my SA and my back was soaking with sweat. This is looks much the same construction as that, and therefore not suitable for long treks in hot climates. I saw that TB were looking to refresh the Guide's Pack too - I really hope he can do something with the backpanel so that more air can get to the back and that would be a winner IMO.

I do however love the look of the multi-functional top pocket. That looks a great bit of innovation

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast