Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    There is a new OP size? Can't seem to find that on the website. Can you tell us more about it? Thanks.
    I believe the new OP that @Ilkyway is referencing is the included pouch in NWSky that contains all the miscellaneous straps that come with the HsJ. You can see it if you go to the page that lists the bag.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ilkyway, those are great photos; I always feel like visiting to Germany when I see all that pretty scenery.

This pack looks really interesting, but since I'm not a backpacker, I don't have much need for something that large or rugged. I would love it if there were a way to attach that padded hip belt to the Aeronaut 30 or Smart Alec though, as those long walks through airports can strain your shoulders.

I also really like the concept of the removable top. I've got a question about that: could the open zipper teeth on the top bag snag or cause clothing abrasion? Also, it looks a little deep when using it as a shoulder bag; how does it compare for comfort and utility with the copilot?

I think I might be in the same boat as a lot of people who already own an Aeronaut and aren't backpackers: I can't see buying this bag when my current travel needs are well filled by the Aeronaut 30 and whatever companion bag I bring with it (usually copilot, plus Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Daylight Backpack inside the bag.
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another question: how is the accessibility of this bag compared to an Aeronaut? The thing I love about the Aeronaut is the 3 main compartments, the fact you don't have to unclip anything to open any compartment, and the easy-to-access side pocket zippers for long flat stuff. This bag looks like it's a little trickier to get in because of the compression straps. It definitely seems more like a hiking bag than a travel bag to me.
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I believe the new OP that @Ilkyway is referencing is the included pouch in NWSky that contains all the miscellaneous straps that come with the HsJ. You can see it if you go to the page that lists the bag.
    Here's the product page image @Mausermama was citing of the Organizer Pouch used to hold the HsJ accessories:

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amy, thanks for your words. As for your questions:

The zipper, when the Top Pack is not zipped to the main body does not rub on clothes but I am glad I chopped of my hair last winter. With the long hair before I had needed a solution (I would have put it in a bun) as hair wild catch in that zipper. When the two bags are together, no problem of cause.

The Top Pack in shoulderbag mode is a deep pack, I own a Balistic CP that I also find to be quite deep. The main difference is: the Top Pack beeing Dyneema it is way more playable and adapts to its countend so it is very much depending on what you put in there how deep it feels. But fully stuffed it is deeper than a CP. Here is a picture of both side by side: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post132214 and a bit further up there are a lot of comparison pics from gochicken with a Halcyon CP and Pilot but also others.

As for your struggle: my honest opinion is, that if an A30 meets your packing needs size wise, than this bag will be HUGE to you. As for the accasebility: the two straps that you close over the main compartment make a lot of sense in backpackmode. That way if you open the zipper, there is a safeguard so nothing tumbles out. You can easily leave them open and therefore have the same easy access but they are a nice security feature as the rotation of the main compartment is oriented for backpackmode if that makes sense.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robw View Post
    I think this looks great for casual backpacking and traveling. The only issue I can see is the backpanel getting really hot and sweaty. I trekked up a mountain here in the UK (so not too hot) last month with my SA and my back was soaking with sweat. This is looks much the same construction as that, and therefore not suitable for long treks in hot climates. I saw that TB were looking to refresh the Guide's Pack too - I really hope he can do something with the backpanel so that more air can get to the back and that would be a winner IMO.

I do however love the look of the multi-functional top pocket. That looks a great bit of innovation
    We've done extensive testing (see this blog post; scroll down to the The Swarner 5000 Datalogger) and the Drylex AeroSpacer Mesh we use does help cool and dissipate sweat build-up. That said, it doesn't compete with a truly suspended modern mesh back panel or as you'd find on an old-school external frame pack. The rub with either of those systems is that they suck up a substantial amount of volume to create the airspace between the user and the pack; we've concluded that for the intended use of the Hero's Journey it's not worth that sacrifice. If you're planning on traveling/hiking in hot, humid climates and sweat build-up is a concern, the Hero's Journey may not be the right pack for you. (I personally would carry it in such contexts because I regularly hike with my Synapse and Guide's Pack year-round, including on hot summer days, and don't experience an issue with heat, but as we know YMMV of course :)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the photos! Love this bag. Does anyone know if that top pack (while filled with items) would fit inside the main bag along with 2 optional side pockets filled up and all placed inside? And if the "internal frame" was removed could the bag be clinched down a lot smaller with extra exterior luggage straps? If so, this bag will work well to take to Kathmandu. I could travel with hardly nothing in it, and then rent out some gear while there and load it up, and return everything after my trek is over, and cinch everything back down and travel light on the way home. I asked these questions on another thread before I found this one with all the photos.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    skoobdo I am not sure I understand all your questions but I have put the full(but not "stuffed") Top Pack inside the lower compartment of the main bag (where you would put the sleeping bag) this filled this compartment. If there was room for the side pockets in the main compartment depends obviosly on how full these are.

The question about the backpannle... so sorry but I am not up for the task of takeing mine apart 8-0

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the whole point of the HsJ is that internal frame and back panel. It adds immeasurably to the bag's stability and comfort.

The main bag on its own is suitable as a carry-on bag on many airlines. If it was packed lightly, including the top pack and side pockets, it shouldn't pose a problem, even with the frame intact.

If you are planning on packing virtually nothing on your trip to/from Nepal, wouldn't it make more sense to rent an external frame pack along with all the other gear? (Maybe it's not possible; I have no idea how this works so I'm genuinely curious.) If you are able to rent a pack, you bring your few necessities in a packing cube backpack and then just roll it up and stash it when you're on your trek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you planning a fly-to backpacking trip, and plan to carry on (presumably this is the Tom Bihn Hero's Journey customer), what do you do about your not-carry-on-friendly camping gear? I know I can bring matches or firesteel sparkers or just buy a lighter when I arrive - no big deal. I'd probably be buying fuel in some form, and food/water of course.

What about hiking poles if you use them - can you carry those on?

What about a knife? I've purchased knives as souvenirs on trips where I was going to do some day hiking, but then I had to check a bag coming home.

I would love to do a trip in Alaska or even the NorthWest, and won't be taking the time to drive there. I sometimes travel to ATL or PHL and would love to do a getaway weekend tacked on to such a business trip. Maybe this is a minor issue or only tangentially related, but I'm curious how others solve this problem. What else have you learned about planning or taking a long-distance backpacking trip (you know what I mean?)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    What about hiking poles if you use them - can you carry those on?
    Technically, you can't bring hiking poles carry-on (see this post on the TSA blog which also has other advice for hikers/backpackers) though I think some people do anyway (I wouldn't recommend it!)

I don't use hiking poles, but I do carry a knife and bear spray (if I'm hiking in an area for which it is recommended).

When I visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks last year, we split our time camping and staying in hotels. This was before the Hero's Journey, so I packed our camping gear (including a knife) in a Yeoman Duffel and checked it. I purchased bear spray there (it's also available for rent at some of the information centers/ranger stations within the parks) and, at the end of the trip, I mailed the bear spray and some souvenirs to my home address from the post office in Moose, Wyoming (within Grand Teton National Park). That's also what I would do if I purchased a knife on my trip.

Even if it's a trip that's going to be about backpacking or camping, I usually spend the first night at a hotel. And the next time I go on one of those trips (hopefully soon... maybe Denali) I'll definitely be going carry-on only and will see if I can arrange with the hotel to ship them a box in advance of my arrival containing some of those non-carry-on items.

I also asked around here and Mike offered a great tip: sometimes outdoors stores local to your destination will let you ship hiking poles, etc. to them in advance of your arrival.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Carlsbad, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy,

That link is great. No fuel tabs was news to me, but I can bring a mini-bic lighter. Safety Matches are regulated, and strike anywhere matches are forbidden. The link on that line was not found, but I did find this on TSA.gov: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ohibited-items, which has lots more and looks like some updated info.

You definitely get the point - as I'm sure most do - that you don't check if you don't have to.

I took a business trip once to Colorado and had time to do a day hike near Boulder. I got a small Swiss Army knife at REI (along with some other stuff - snacks, water and a local map and trail G2), and when I didn't use the knife I returned it the following day. I felt good about that because I never took it out of the box. If I had used it, I probably would have checked one of my bags. If you are staying at a hotel with a restaurant, maybe you could borrow a steak knife. Why would they care if you returned it intact.

Alternatively, I guess you could check an appropriately sized box for your poles, sharps and anything else that can be replaced in a pinch if it doesn't arrive on time. I have status on several airlines, so I can check bags for free almost always, but for some shipping might be more economical.

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    To me the whole point of the HsJ is that internal frame and back panel. It adds immeasurably to the bag's stability and comfort.

The main bag on its own is suitable as a carry-on bag on many airlines. If it was packed lightly, including the top pack and side pockets, it shouldn't pose a problem, even with the frame intact.

If you are planning on packing virtually nothing on your trip to/from Nepal, wouldn't it make more sense to rent an external frame pack along with all the other gear? (Maybe it's not possible; I have no idea how this works so I'm genuinely curious.) If you are able to rent a pack, you bring your few necessities in a packing cube backpack and then just roll it up and stash it when you're on your trek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My hope was to greatly reduce the size of the HJ while in travel mode (on the planes), and stuff the side pockets and top pocket inside the bag and rearrange the flexible insert and cinch everything down and fill it up (purchase and rent things I need) when I arrived for trekking. If I was just planning to only go to Nepal for trekking then renting a large backpack would make sense, but I'll be traveling on buses to different cities and need to use the backpack for all my stuff. I like the expanded pockets on this bag and the possibility of reducing its size since I don't carry much of anything with me when enroute or on my return flight. I buy all my crap once I arrive, or in this case rent and purchase. The only thing I pack are items that are 100% necessary. I just go to the local stores for toiletries etc. I have a bunch of huge backpacks but the HJ is very different. If it can't work then I'll just use one of my camping/backpacks.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Pops in to add: An advantage of EasyJet is that they don't (currently) have a weight limit on your one bag, and if you pay the extra (currently £9.99/flight between the UK & EU) for an 'extra legroom' seat then you can take a personal item too (and get Speedy Boarding :)). HTH

To stay on topic, I would add that I was lucky enough to be able to play with the HsJ when I visited Ilkyway. I concur with her observation that this is a BIG bag. Can I be the first to say ........ please, please make a smaller (and perhaps a tad less 'clever') version for those of us that favour the budget EU airlines :)
    Thanks for this great travel tip Ceepee! Note to self....

Suttons Bay, MI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does this mean a 13-inch MacBook Pro will not fit in the Top Bag?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast