Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Side Kick a dream come true

Hurray I am in love, this knew bag is like made FOR ME (AND YOU)

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3003_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3010_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

It is just that little bit larger form my beloved Side Effect to be a total knew bag but still like an old friend.

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_2991_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_2993_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_2994_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great in-flight bag

On my last international trip, I used a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag to hold all my in-flight stuff. As you know, the PCSB doesnít have a lot in the way of internal organization, so I also brought along a Side Effect to use inside the PCSB. This worked out okay, but then at my destination I had more bags than I needed. I wanted something a bit smaller and more organized than the PCSB, but bigger than the SE to accommodate all the stuff I typically take on overnight flights.

Well, I think I got exactly what I was wishing for with the Side Kick. Itís got double the volume of a SE, but is much more streamlined than the PCSB while really upping the organizational ante. Youíve still got your pen/tool slots, open-top pockets that hold pocket notebooks, and now youíve got a wide open-top pocket that spans the entire interior width of the bag. While I could definitely fit my Kindle Paperwhite into my SE, I didnít really like how it bumped up against my other stuff; now I can just give it its own dedicated compartment.

The 3 O-rings in the main compartment allow you to attach your keys or earbud case; you can also tether Organizer Pouches to SK so nothing falls out. Speaking of OPs: the SK will hold any from size Nano to Medium; however, I think that the Medium is a tiny bit of a bear to put in/take out, and you have to fold down the snap hook to zip the SK closed. Other things that fit inside: 3D Organizer Cube, Small Snake Charmer, Size 1 or 2 Travel Stuff Sacks (though I think the 1 fits much better). Because the SK shares its dimensions almost exactly with the Field Journal Notebook, the latter wonít fit into the former.

One thing that the SK canít accommodate, at least for me, is a rain jacket. If you are a size XS/S and have something like a Houdini, that should work, but there was no way I was going to fit my PreCip in there. Despite this, Iím still very happy overall with the SK. Itís a great in-flight organizer for me because of what I tend to carry: very small electronics and chargers, pens and notebooks, a couple of personal care items, and a case for my glasses. If you carry larger or more oddly-shaped items, you may wish to stick with the slightly larger and more forgiving PCSB, Co-Pilot/Pilot, or DLBC.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AND the strap.... I think it might be from the past? moriond? Is it?
    The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3071_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_2995_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_2996_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3016_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

This was not stuffed. The iPad is a mini, the notebooks are A5 and a Midori standard insert

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry am a bit disorganised today, got the items this morning and it is so cold over here... enough of the whining:

inside the REALOADED LITTLE SWIFT (wooohooooooooooooo!!!!) it is the knew Side Kick, a standard sized iPad in a case and my hat (did I mention it is cold?

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the sidekick fit into the side pocket of a ballistic NFTD?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by automaticsoap View Post
    Will the sidekick fit into the side pocket of a ballistic NFTD?
    Sorry, no—it's about 1.5" taller than the side pocket. I guess you could under-fill it and smash it down, but it doesn't seem ideal.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Sorry, no—it's about 1.5" taller than the side pocket. I guess you could under-fill it and smash it down, but it doesn't seem ideal.
    Thank you!

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Side Kick looks great with all the internal organisation. I'm hoping that the range of colours available will be extended to be similar to the range for the Side Effect.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    AND the strap.... I think it might be from the past? moriond? Is it?
    The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3071_bildgr-e-ndern-jpg

Ilkyway
    Yes, the strap is a 1" wide strap (which I prefer for my Side Effect, too, and sometimes use for my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag). For those of you who know the 1" wide strap that came with the Breve, and that @Lani posted in the Side Effect and the 1-inch shoulder strap... thread, the connector attachments on the current Side Kick strap are smaller, and look better with these bags.

The Side Kick a dream come true-791ce791008aa3dab9242db2e0f2c8ed-jpg
    (Excerpted Lani's posted picture of the older 1" strap design with the Side Effect)

Also, for those of you trying to imagine the size, the Side Kick cross section is pretty close to that of the Field Journal Notebook, but just a shade wider and less tall.

moriond

Forum Member
    North of Seattle, South of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a picture of the Side Kick in a S19? Trying to figure out if i could use it as a purse but stash it in my S19 for work and then take it out when its not work.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone have comparison photos of the Side Kick next to the Side Effect? I can't wait to get my nordic SK but want to get an idea of the size difference.

Vancouver, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if the field journal will fit inside the side kick? I know it would take up most of the space if it does.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duh SE SK comparison... of cause. Sadly no more daylight:

The S19 is otherwise empty hope this gives you an idea:

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    North of Seattle, South of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletknit View Post
    Do you know if the field journal will fit inside the side kick? I know it would take up most of the space if it does.
    No, the Field Journal Notebook is just slightly taller than the Side Kick, so it would not fit inside. However, the FJN cross-section is a good approximation to the cross-section dimensions of the Side Kick. And this would not work even with the Side Kick in Halcyon. I might be able to pull out the plastic reinforcement inserts of the FJN and squeeze it into a Halcyon Side Kick, but this really wouldn't work.

moriond

ETA: Sorry, having problems with image uploads
    The Side Kick a dream come true-img_3149-jpg

Here's an Azure FJN inside a Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick. If the FJN were outside of the Side Kick and placed side by side, or if the Side Kick were laid on top of the FJN, the heights of these bags would be closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Itís got double the volume of a SE, but is much more streamlined than the PCSB while really upping the organizational ante.

Because the SK shares its dimensions almost exactly with the Field Journal Notebook, the latter wonít fit into the former.

One thing that the SK canít accommodate, at least for me, is a rain jacket. If you are a size XS/S and have something like a Houdini, that should work, but there was no way I was going to fit my PreCip in there.
    I can actually fit in a Nau Lightbeam jacket that was discussed in the Technical and/or fashionable rain jackets? thread last year (thanks again, @binje). It's a size Medium (though I usually wear Small), but it packs down into less than a size #1 Travel Stuff Sack, so it goes fine into the Side Kick with my iPad Mini, Kindle, and notebooks.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-28-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added picture

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast