Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all this talk about the Yeoman duffles made me want one. So I ordered a Small. I think I can fit my tablet weaving loom in it or a EC medium packing folder.

Also, it seems roughly the size of the A30 and the WF, which is about the limit of the size I can carry.

The Medium is just that bit too big for me.

But I branched out from aubergine and ordered it in burnt orange.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

This is a followup to the earlier post by @Yokosmom with a question about using on of the smaller size Yeomann Duffels as a music bag.

I wrote back:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    As I recall, you have an unusually large music stand (according to the Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians thread -- yours was 23" folded, and mine was 17"!). You'll probably need the Medium Size Duffel if that length is correct, unless there's enough room to angle in your stand diagonally.

HTH

moriond
    I'm posting some quick pictures of an instrument roll and music stand inside a Small Yeoman Duffel. The instrument roll is 21" long, so this would have been slightly easier to fit in if the length of the Duffel were an inch longer. (A slight bulge out in the sides is usually handled automatically by the shape of the bag.) My folded music stand is 17" long. Most standard folded music stands seem to be less than 22" long since the cases designed to fit all standard stands seem to use that for their maximum length, based on my impression from a quick spot check.

The Small Yeoman Duffel dimensions are given as 19.5”L x 11”W x 8.5”H / 495L x 280W x 215H mm. Again, my first impression is that for use as a music carrying case, this would have ideally been just slightly longer (e.g., I believe Soprano Ukuleles are about 21" long, for example, since I've seen some posts by forum members who travel with Ukuleles).

Since the instrument roll is not filled all the way to the top, it actually occupies a bit less than 21".

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3159-jpg

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3161-jpg

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3158-jpg

The small Yeoman Duffel is clearly the best size for my use. There's room to put a flute case in back. There's also ample vertical room for me to carry an iPad or small laptop in a cache (above the instrument roll). Because the roll curves, I'm not sure that I'd carry my sheet music in the Small Yeoman Duffel (as opposed to using another cross-body bag that carries closer to me). In addition, standard printed sheet music is often larger than letter size paper. (I once did a test pack up and took some pictures of how various music fit into a Pilot's back compartment, but didn't post this. Increasingly, people are also using music resources on tablets.)

As a quick summary, this looks like a convenient way to carry items.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-02-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Ok I might have gone a bit crazy here.
    Ilkyway
    Perhaps, but you are my new favorite person. I am a visual person and this is perfect. Thanks to you and hub!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    But I branched out from aubergine and ordered it in burnt orange.
    I have the Burnt Orange (after branching out from Aubergine as well) for the Yeoman Duffles and love the colors! Of course, I love the Mini so much that I'm thinking of also getting it in Aubergine... Because, you know, Aubergine!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

A few more pictures showing the Small Yeoman Duffel used as a music bag -- now with the addition of a stack of published sheet music, 13" MacBook Air laptop computer in cache, Small Snake Charmer to hold power brick and other incidentals (tuner, etc.), and accessories such as the FJN Pocket Insert to hold pens/small memo notebook, and Mini Q-Kit attached to O-rings. Also, a feature that I didn't highlight in my earlier post, but that can be important if you're carrying around instruments or other valuable gear such as Scuba Equipment: Locking zippers (hence the addition of a small travel lock to the picture). (See the Yeoman Duffel now has lockable zippers from August; the pictures on the Yeoman Duffel product page include a display of this feature, but the current version of the product description doesn't seem to have added this feature, which is not currently in any of the other TB travel bags that I know of.)

Since these are all added to the previous load-up, I haven't reshot the instrument roll and music stand (bulkiest part of the contents). Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures -- the only time I had to quickly take these pictures on my iPhone was when the light had already faded.

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3163-jpg
    These are the additional items to be placed in the Duffel: a stack of sheet music, a 13" MacBook Air laptop in cache below it, a Small Snake Charmer to the right in Monarch Halcyon that holds the laptop power brick and long power cable, plus other incidentals like tuner (although most small items like swabs, cork grease, etc. are carried in my instrument roll). Below the Small Snake Charmer is a Field Journal Notebook Pen/Pencil Organizational Insert for pens, with a Slim Hobonichi Weeks Memo notebook in the back pocket, and small Post-It flags for marking music pages in the narrow, bottom zipped pocket. At the left side is a Kiwi Mini Q-Kit for other items you might want to grab quickly (e.g. spare picks, or small pocket tools, flashlights, keys). You could also used the larger Small Q-Kit or Pocket Pouch for other items (like Business Cards). Finally, there's a small travel combination lock at the left.

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3164-jpg
    Here's the stack of sheet music loaded on top of the instrument roll at the left. The Small Snake Charmer is at right, clipped to one of the 5 O-rings of the Yeoman Duffel via the triangle clip at the end. A 3D Organizer Cube of similar cross-section dimensions could alternatively be used here, and clip to the same O-ring just above it, one of three along the back seam. (The other two O-rings at the back are in the center and left positions; then there are two more O-rings at the ends at roughly the location of the webbing pull handles). The Halcyon fabric of the Small Snake Charmer makes it easy to squash down to the same depth as 1 3D Organizer Cube if you don't fill up the other side, and the triangle clip allows you to attach directly without a keystrap. Of course, you may prefer the convenience of tethering with an O-ring Keystrap if you want to pull this accessory out but leave it tethered.

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3168-jpg

The FJN Pocket Pen/Pencil Insert is attached via a Double Carabiner Clip to another back O-ring, and the Q-Kit is snapped onto the third (hanging down, so not really visible).

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3170-jpg

Here's the 13" MacBook Air laptop in its cache placed on top of the music to the left.

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-img_3169-jpg

Everything packed up and zipped close, with a travel lock added to the locking zippers.

There are lots of other ways to configure this. I could have used a Daylight Briefcase to hold the laptop and put the FJN insert and stationary items inside it, as in this thread, if I wanted to separately have a small briefcase. I can carry a much larger stack of music if I separately load those, and it's also easier to show the way the laptop itself loads in with the illustrated setup. I could have used a Side Kick with a small iPad or other tablet in a cache.

Hope this gives folks an idea of how you can manage this. The packed up weight is pretty manageable to hand carry, and even just using this duffel for the instrument roll and music stand (if you prefer to backpack carry your laptop and music) is more convenient than using the webbing handle of my instrument roll. Plus, I can secure the music stand under the webbing and not have it roll. (Hand-carried, the webbing would not bear the weight of the stand). I have the security of locking zippers.

Hope this helps,

moriond

ETA: Some of the earlier threads about carrying musical instruments or sheet music are given in links in my post in the old Synapse 19 = happy girlfriend thread, where a few other forum members weigh in with their music/instrument use. I'm including this as an add-on note, since it's probably an obscure title for finding links to other related discussions.
    Last edited by moriond; 12-04-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted a Night Flight for my personal item, but needed it to fit my iPad Pro (9.7). Does anyone know if it'd be a good for or if the dimensions even work for a personal item?

I'm using a shop bag now but I lost stuff out of it (my Nordic pouch!) when I had to put it overhead so now I want a zip bag.
    Last edited by westofhouse; 12-06-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Wild Alaska
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What instrument is in that roll? I've never seen an instrument roll! How cool!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katycorgi View Post
    What instrument is in that roll? I've never seen an instrument roll! How cool!
    This is one of the cases made by Jean Cavallaro for recorders. The inside is lined with Shearling, and there are similar cases by the same maker for other instruments. The assumption is that you'll be carrying at least four or five different instruments for ensemble playing for a roll of this size, and the height is dictated to accommodate the largest size models of the largest instrument that you'd be likely to carry.

Here's a picture of an open roll from a web search:

There are many smaller option for carrying just a few instruments.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think I needed a Yeoman duffel but these new sizes are really tempting. And thanks to @Ilkyway and others for the pictures, especially the comparisons with the NFTD. I love my NFTD, but its limitations re shoes have kept me from using it for some short trips. The mini or small Yeoman might be answer...

One question I don't believe I've seen answered yet (and apologies if it has been already!): how are these as overflow bags? Does anyone know what size stuff sacks (or yarn stuff sacks) the Mini and Small Yeomans will fit into? Or any pictures of them folded into an A30/A45 end pocket? I have vague recollections of someone fitting the original (now large) into a very small package. I used a PCBP as an overflow bag on a recent trip (since halcyon packs to nothing), but the option of being able to check a ballistic Yeoman on a return flight would very much solve an ongoing packing issue.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Small and Mini Yeoman Duffels pack so flat that I would just put them at the bottom of your other travel bags rather than trying to roll them up, but I can fit a folded up Mini YD into one side of a Small Snake Charmer, or into a Small Yarn Stuff Sack of my Little Swift. probalby Size #2 Travel Stuff Sack. Sorry, not able to take photos now.

moriond

ETA: I can fit the rolled/folded MIni YD into my Halcyon Side Effect zipped up, so Size #2 TSS, which is large,should work. Also fits into the Small Travel Tray. Can't check Small Duffel now since it is completely loaded up.
    Last edited by moriond; 12-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @moriond, for such a quick reply, and exactly the information I was looking for. If they pack super flat, that's even easier.

(I bought an unstructured bag from another brand earlier this year and while I cannot complain about the durability or build quality, it worked poorly for overflow as it didn't pack flat well-- despite having very pretty much no shape--, barely squeezed into a Large Yarn Stuff Sack, and ate up most of an A45 end pocket. And the thing doesn't even have clips for a shoulder strap! It was, in short, a poor fit for the purpose.)

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the visuals and explanations, moriond! It looks like the big sticking point for me is still the music stand. Yours is 17 inches and mine is longer. There are a variety of different stands used by my dulcimer group, but none of them are any smaller than mine. I will have to go back to my local music store to see if there are any that fold up that tiny. My sheet music is usually copied off of the internet and put in a notebook, so not as large as yours. I also have a small footstool which I have not measured, but it may well fit in the bottom. I will keep the small Yeoman on my wish list for now, having just bought a Night Flight Travel Duffle for my non-musical plane carry on.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I probably should have gone for the small, rather than the mini Yeoman Duffel. Goodness, this is tiny... and yes, I regularly use my older enormous original Yeoman Duffel. I guess this will be a gym bag or or or... not yet sure >.<

Oh well, I'm sure I will find a use for it, probably in the car to hold all of my TB shop bags, or something... still not sure.
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, well, well, well. What do we have here? It's the Navy Mini Yeoman, AKA my Frozen Tundra Running Bag. I decided to challenge myself this year with a little winter running. The fun thing about this challenge is that I got to buy a lot of new running gear. And a new bag to carry it in!!! Here's my adorable new little friend:

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-mini1-jpg

What do we have inside? All my winter running gear for the coldest of runs that I am willing to do (~5 degrees F). Let's take a look...

New sizes to the Yeoman SOOO cute-mini2-jpg

In the Fjord PCSB:
    Craft Sportswear PR WP Stretch Jacket
    Craft Fleece-lined, windproof running tights
    Craft baselayer
    Icebreaker Oasis 1/2 zip

Island Size 2 TSS
    Amphipod Hydration belt and two bottles

Steel Size 3 TSS
    North Face Windproof, water resistant pants

Iberian Mini OP
    Hair ties

Blue Eagle Creek 1/2 Cube
    Size 6 Asics Kayano Running Shoes (I have a also have a pair of Asics waterproof shoes, but these are my regular shoes)
    Inside shoes: Darn Tough Merino Socks, Zensah calf compression sleeves

Green Eagle Creek 1/2 cube (I already had all my winter accessories together; I won't need all of these things)
    Amphipod Reflective vest
    SPI Belt w/light
    Ball Cap with light
    Craft Beanie Hat
    Craft Balaclava
    Smartwool Ear Band
    Smartwool Neck gaiter
    Small deodorant stick
    Arnica salve
    +addaday handheld mini roller ball

So there we have it. The amazing Mini Yeoman swallowed all this glorious running gear, with some room to spare. I've repacked it with just the gear I need for tomorrow night and there is a ton of space leftover. The Small might have given me more flexibility, but I didn't want a bag that was getting close to the size of my A30 or SA (which will arrive tomorrow).
    Last edited by Pokilani; 12-06-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: I can't spell

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Moriond, thanks you for showing how your 13" Laptop with Cache fitted in the Small Yeoman Duffel. But do you think yours 13" Laptop could fit in a Mini Yeoman Duffel?

I had checked the Dimension, it seems like it could fit but I am not sure the Opening - how easily it could be slide/put into.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast