Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I love shop bags for things othan than shopping. Sometimes when I am feeling rather lazy, I will use a LSB for weekend trips. It is very freeing to walk on a plane with just the bag and know it holds everthing I need.
    I have actually been wondering about doing just that. Certainly for a weekend road trip I could totally get away with just a shop bag. On a plane I might opt to shove a packing cube in one just for organization sake, but it could work. Hmmm.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of Shop Bags more as portable "Daylight" tote bags. They can haul groceries but also work as a large casual purse, an overnight bag, a travel overflow bag, a beach tote. I always travel with at least one.

But I have to refrain from letting people borrow them as I'm self-conscious about calling attention to how fancy/expensive it is compared to the usual $2 reuseable and yet don't want to let a non-TB-er just be super careless with it. I haven't figured out how to gift them for the same reason!

Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the comparison to the Daylight Backpack is completely right. They are the DLBP of Totes. The thing about this for me is that the DLBP made total sense to me because I am 100% a backpack person. I'm not really a tote person, so I was caught off guard by how useful I'm finding these bags.

And you're right, if you call them a reusable grocery bag or shop bag it immediately makes the price seem high. But I don't think most people would be too put-off by a backpack costing a similar amount. So it may be all about the mental branding.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    I think of Shop Bags more as portable "Daylight" tote bags. They can haul groceries but also work as a large casual purse, an overnight bag, a travel overflow bag, a beach tote. I always travel with at least one.
    I totally recognize myself in that message as well as in the following one from the 100% backpack person.
    I'm a backpack person too and I ALWAYS travel with a shop bag. I use it for shopping, but also as a gym bag, to go to the swimming pool, as overnight bag, to carry my stuff when I go to the shower in a camping, carry wood back inside the house, as under-seat bag in the plane, as "field" bag at work, handbag when doing shopping in town, etc..

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMo View Post
    I have actually been wondering about doing just that. Certainly for a weekend road trip I could totally get away with just a shop bag. On a plane I might opt to shove a packing cube in one just for organization sake, but it could work. Hmmm.
    I like to use a PCSB for clothes and a 3D clear organizer cube for toiletries and a SE, both of which go into the inner pockets of the bag. I use a size 1 TSS for iPhone/iPad chargers and other misc. Also, I include a halcyon DLBP to use at my destination. It is surprising how much a shop bag will hold.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my large and small Shop bags from Day One. My mom was less than impressed by my devotion until she borrowed one for a week. Then, she needed to have a large and small of her own. It is a good thing TB came out with more colors so we could tell our apart when we go places.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my shopping bags for so many different things, shopping being the obvious. Extra purse, bags for books, shoes, hats, swimmers, games, etc while camping, picnic bag while travelling, overflow bag while travelling, carrying donations to give away, lunch bag sometimes, snacks for car with water bottles for family fitting in outside pockets,... Endless uses.

Apart from my EDC swift/little swift/MCB alternates, these are what I use the most.

I will buy more when more colours come out as I have different colours of each - no duplicate colours in large and small - so that I know what I'm grabbing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the LSB, is a bag of all trade.

I use it for every errands run with the car.

It helps corralling stuff in the car, in an hotel room, at docs offices, at meetings, in class, at conferences.

In winter, it holds layers that need to be removed when indoors and in summer it holds layers that need to be added when indoors.

On public transport, the LSB is tucked in the S19.

Ready for use after a library/bookstore, electronic store, grocery store, specialty store or food establishment... visit.

The Small Shop Bag, saved the day when I needed a stylish purse and I had forgotten to remove yarn related items from the Swift I wanted to take.
    The FJN and the Side Effect helped the Small Shop Bag keep its shape. It is small enough to not be intrusive while being roomy because it is flexible. I believe the Side Kick will be even better to help with the Small Shop Bag shape.

Both sizes of Shop Bags are favored when the places I plan to go might demand a thorough cleaning of the bag after use. When a beverage spill can be isolated to one side pocket and the bag can be rinsed off, or washed with dish soap then rinsed off, left to air dry for a day then ready to go, looking like new.

I think it is one of the best TB Crew invention!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Large Shop Bag up there deployed on the last day of our trip in Japan for the shopping.

@mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just returned from a trip, my love for the Shop Bags has only grown. My large Fjord shop bag performed all kinds of random tasks and made traveling easier. The thing that I might love even more: zippered versions! I could imagine just tossing things into a zippered shop bag, that came maybe with a couple more o-rings, and being a very happy person indeed.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In praise of the Shop Bag

I was also super happy with my small shop bag last time I went to Ireland and needed to haul groceries and wine bottles several blocks. I also used it as my carry on, with a blanket, copilot full of plane stuff, and a ukulele in it! The fact that larger stuff can poke out the top makes it a very useful shape and appear deceptively smaller. I really do wish there was one with a zipper option though. I have a sea to summit sling bag which I like because of the zipper. But it does not have padded handles and therefore is not the greatest bag for carrying heavy stuff. And it does not sit upright on its own like the wide bottomed shop bag does.

The shop bag makes the best lunch hauler too, thanks to the wide flat bottom and the inner pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

North Dakota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the versatility of my LSB, which goes to say that a lot of my TB bags can have multiple, creative uses. I've used mine as a grocery bag, clothes hamper, and carrier for my 64oz growlers (not all at the same time ha!). The padded handles really make the difference and the demo video that shows how to pack the shop bag into itself has cemented it as a staple of my travel list from here on out.
    Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sent my daughter back to school with a SSB with items that just would not fit in her (large) checked suitcase. We put everything in a packing cube and another zipped pouch. Plus her mini iPad and a book. That was her carry-on and her MCB is her personal item. She is flying in Tom Bihn style :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read a lot of requests on the wish list thread and this one wanting a shop bag with a zippered top. When I was at Tokyo Disneyland last year, I saw an Iberian dyneema nonTB tote bag with a zippered top. It was zipped shut and was hanging off of a stroller. It immediately caught my eye since I have never seen a dyneema bag, whether TB or not, in the wild. I did not want to seem like a weirdo ogling the bag and since I do not speak Japanese, I did not try to communicate with the family or attempt to take a picture. At Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, I saw other makes of dyneema backpacks, like Coleman, which, I guess, stands to reason since the fabric is made in Japan. So there are dyneema (halcyon) zippered tote bags out there, but it would be nice if a zipper was an option in the Shop Bags.

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    IWhen I was at Tokyo Disneyland last year, I saw an Iberian dyneema nonTB tote bag with a zippered . So there are dyneema (halcyon) zippered tote bags out there, but it would be nice if a zipper was an option in the Shop Bags.
    You know, the wife was saying the exact thing to me last week when we were in Japan. She likes the LSB, but wishes it comes with way to close the top. A zip would be good. But I bet it would be possible to sew some Velcro to the edges. But I'm not fond of Velcro.

And yes, Dyneema seems to be a popular fabric in Japan. I've seen many non-TB bags using that fabric there.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast