Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In praise of the Shop Bag

I had no idea how much I needed the Shop Bag. When the November debut brought them out in such beautiful colors I went ahead and ordered four of them, figuring that at the very least I could get rid of some worn-out and dirty old reusable grocery bags, which were never big enough to be very helpful. I tended to leave these old bags in the car, or take a bag full of them into the store with me, not having any idea how many I'd actually need to fit my groceries. And they never stand up when you have to set them down to unlock the door or whatever. Always flopping over or spilling my apples in the trunk of the car, etc.

Not only are Tom's bags voluminous enough to hold pretty much everything I need them to hold on any given trip, no matter how varied my shopping needs are, but the addition of organization pockets inside (I get so excited when the folks bagging my groceries see them and take advantage of them), plus the wonderful padded handles, and the structure that allows them to stand upright, I mean I just can't rave enough.

Better still, I find myself grabbing them all the time to carry loads of things I need to take with me to the car or even just to carry upstairs with me to put away. I used them to transport all of my Christmas presents to multiple households, to take a load of books up to our local buy/sell shop, to lug laundry supplies to the laundromat during the two weeks I was without water because of a water main break. I grab them for all kinds of things and what kills me is that if not for wanting bags in all the new colors, I'd never have found out how much I needed this solution.

Seriously. Buy a Shop Bag. I'm going to start giving them to people as gifts, like a few other forum members have suggested. I GET IT. I finally get it. These bags are actually THAT awesome.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. This has been my exact same experience. I use them for everything.

The only thing I would like better is if they had a fold down collar on the inside that would convert to a zippered top close lid so stuff doesn't fall out.

P.S. I hate my grocery store's reusable bags. They're not comfortable to carry, and they break after a while. I tossed them all and I'm blissfully happy with my TB ones. Plus, the TB ones are much easier to keep clean.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit, I really can't understand the love for the TB shop bag. Sure, TB makes awesome stuff, but for TB's prices, I can buy an awful lot of my grocery store's reusable bags: PC Bag

Personally, I prefer their bins over their bags: Collapsing Bin

Since I drive a truck, the bins fare better in the bed than bags do. :)
    Last edited by Kaadk; 01-17-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who has broken many, many cheap-o store brand reusable bags, I can say that the TB shop bag is pretty close to the love of my life. Also, for those of us who don't drive to the store, the padded handles and large capacity are wonderful. I can carry more, not worry about breakage, and not hurt my shoulders/hands. Plus the Sitka always gets compliments, and you know -- vanity lol

Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually disappointed when people don't compliment my Shop Bag. Ha! Can't wait for the summer markets to start back up.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use mine for so much more than shopping, they're so useful! sometimes they go to the gym, sometimes they get borrowed by others (AND RETURNED because i'm pesky that way), used for travel or as a copilot on the many long, solo roadtrips i generally make throughout the year.

i gifted 18 pounds of the best sour gummies ever to a longtime colleague who recently left for other job opportunities closer to family (we both enjoy & regularly shared sour gummy candies with one another over the past 7-8 years that we worked together), loaning a large shop bag to aid in schlepping to his car. he was surprisingly impressed by the bag, even not really being much of a bag person!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too love my shopping bags although I don't use them for shopping. I do use them when I travel or need to carry loose or large items. I find the handles to be quite comfortable when carried by hand or on my shoulder.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Kaadk: I think it's all about how you do your shopping. For people who drive everywhere, it may be fine to use the cheaper reusables. For those who walk or take public transit sometimes, the comfort of the handle (and the appearance), might be more of a factor.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE the shop bags, too. I have two small (in fjord and sitka) and two large (original halcyon and UV halcyon) and look forward to adding to my collection. I used them for Christmas gift-toting this season and I love how useful they are when traveling ♥

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Padded handles.

I only own two TB bags, and the SB is one of them. (I used to be skeptical before I tried them.)

ETA: I use mine for my grocery shopping (I drive to the store). It's also nice for carrying board games or taking food car-camping (I wouldn't want a store logo in the background if I take pictures).
    Last edited by brucep; 01-18-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always pack a large one in my A30 or A45. They are great for buying stuff at the supermarket when I travel and for lugging things like towels and clothes to the onsen or the beach.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my shop bags almost every day, whether shopping for groceries, carrying a change of clothes to an appointment, or at the ready for emergency overflow purposes. I never expected to love and use them so much! In the next week of so, my shop bags will demonstrate their use to me yet again as trusty custodians of miscellaneous items during a pending move. Though I now wish I had a largest size Yeoman duffel too to help with that!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who think the shop bag is pricey, remember these words "lifetime guarantee". We tend to call the cloth bags we pay a dollar or two for "reusable" but any bag is reuseable, even the plastic grocery shop bags. The thing we need to take into account is how many times can you reuse them? In the end, a $35 bag that lasts a lifetime will cost less and create less waste than 35 $1 bags that last three to six months.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brintoul View Post
    For those who think the shop bag is pricey, remember these words "lifetime guarantee". We tend to call the cloth bags we pay a dollar or two for "reusable" but any bag is reuseable, even the plastic grocery shop bags. The thing we need to take into account is how many times can you reuse them? In the end, a $35 bag that lasts a lifetime will cost less and create less waste than 35 $1 bags that last three to six months.
    We've been using the ones I linked to above from Zhere's for about 7-8 years now with no issues. I've seen cheap material reusable bags elsewhere, but these ones are pretty sturdy. I've got duffel bags that are less well built than these. I could fill these with bricks and be able to pick them up without fear of them tearing. I haven't actually tried bricks, but they do move a full load of aquarium stones with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @Kaadk: I think it's all about how you do your shopping. For people who drive everywhere, it may be fine to use the cheaper reusables. For those who walk or take public transit sometimes, the comfort of the handle (and the appearance), might be more of a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Padded handles....
    I will however concede the point about the padded handles. Since they can seem to take any amount of weight, they can get quite heavy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love shop bags for things othan than shopping. Sometimes when I am feeling rather lazy, I will use a LSB for weekend trips. It is very freeing to walk on a plane with just the bag and know it holds everthing I need.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast