Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeoman Late Winter/Early Spring Road Trip Car Kit

I thought I'd snap a quick photo of my winter driving car kit:

Yeoman Late Winter/Early Spring Road Trip Car Kit-winter-driving-go-bag-jpg

Tarp, two snow shovels (teamwork for digging out faster!), folding saw (have you ever been temporarily stuck on a logging road because of a downed tree? I have!), rope, road atlas, flashlight, headlamp, flares, gloves, stylish ponchos, dog food bowl, dog food, emergency dog leash, duct tape, fire extinguisher, hand warmers, soap, hand sanitizer, first aid kit with knife and survival supplies, water, coconut water, coffee in a can, Coke -- note: I pack these drinks when I'm planning on driving over mountain passes but eventually reaching a warmer destination or otherwise don't anticipate parking my car in cold temperatures for a long time -- and the "nutritious but not so tasty I'll raid the bag and eat them when it's not an emergency" pumpkin seeds.

I also usually put together/throw in the car a bag of extra clothes, socks, sleeping bag and food -- the contents of that bag depend on where I'm going, and I don't usually leave that stuff in the car all of the time like I do this car kit.

Probably the most versatile -- and most used -- item in this kit are the shovels. I've used them for digging my car out of the snow, but I also use them when it's safe to do so (sorry if this is a downer) for moving dead wildlife off of roads and into the ditch or off the side of the road. It's an effort to reduce the likelihood that scavengers (coyote, vultures, eagles) will get hit by cars when they try to go to/are next to the dead wildlife (and save the folks driving cars from hitting those animals.)
    Last edited by Darcy; 03-14-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added clarification on canned drinks + sleeping bag!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great list, Darcy! Several items I wouldn't have thought of. I don't know why it never occurred to me to carry a shovel to move the dead animals off the road.

Which size is that Yeoman Duffle?
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I would add is some emergency chocolate. Because in the event of any emergency, some chocolate just makes things better. :)
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this. Almost makes me wish I lived in a more wintry climate so I could replicate this great kit. You're an angel for removing dead animals from the road.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Sturbridge emergency chocolate.

Darcy your car kit is wonderful! I would have never thought of a saw. What kind is it?

Talkshop90, I second being an angels for the scavenging animals!
    In time of drought, in deep winter or early spring and especially when it is nesting or denning time; they need all the help they can get to stay healthy enough, to be able to produce the enormous amount of energy to have fertile matings then, raise their hatchlings or babies.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's actually some solid science behind why a bar of chocolate is an ideal addition to your emergency kit:

1. It's the perfect mix of fat and sugar to provide a quick source of energy as well as slow-burning calories during what could be an extended crisis.
    2. Also during a time of crisis it serves as an invaluable subconscious morale booster.
    3. It can also be used as trap bait to lure scavengers like raccoons, opossum, and skunks.
    4. Being both mildly abrasive and oily, it acts as a good rust-proofer (for knives and other tools), metal polish (for signal mirrors and/or parabolic mirror fire starters), and a lubricant.
    5. Believe it or not, its mildly abrasive qualities make it a good makeshift toothpaste (just be sure to rinse thoroughly!).

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NYCWriter - Thank you! I always knew my love of chocolate had a scientific and useful basis if I just looked deep enough ;)

LOL

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good kit.

I would suggest thinking about adding jumper cables, a couple different ways to start a fire, some zip ties and a basic tool set. Also, a small air compressor that can be plugged into the vehicle's outlet and a can of Fix-A-Flat(ntb).

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the additions, you're going to need a bigger Yeoman.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy, with my luck I would forget the soda cans, leave them in the car during freezing temps, then have to figure out how to clean the inside of my duffel. :) Thanks for sharing your list! I am curious what kind of saw you use. I have been keeping a Sven saw in my car emergency kit, but yours looks like it has a nice handle.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeoman Late Winter/Early Spring Road Trip Car Kit

@Darcy -- where did you get the shovels? This is great. Thanks.

@NYCWriter -- I love that your nickname clashes so directly with advice about surviving on chocolate-lured skunks and opossum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    Which size is that Yeoman Duffle?
    It's a Large.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    The only thing I would add is some emergency chocolate. Because in the event of any emergency, some chocolate just makes things better. :)
    Yes!! I always bring chocolate, but I usually keep that up front with me or in the glovebox. I don't think the dogs (who sometimes ride in the back seat) would rip into the car kit Yeoman to get at a chocolate bar in there, but just to be safe, I keep chocolate up front with me.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Darcy your car kit is wonderful! I would have never thought of a saw. What kind is it?
    Funny: I can't find any brand name on it! It's a saw I picked up at a True Value hardware store, and I've long since recycled the packaging it came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
    Looks like a good kit.

I would suggest thinking about adding jumper cables, a couple different ways to start a fire, some zip ties and a basic tool set. Also, a small air compressor that can be plugged into the vehicle's outlet and a can of Fix-A-Flat(ntb).
    I keep my jumper cables + tire chains separately in the car in the spare tire area. Fire starter is in the first aid kit. Zip ties, tool set, air compressor and Fix-A-Flat are smart additions -- thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @Darcy, with my luck I would forget the soda cans, leave them in the car during freezing temps, then have to figure out how to clean the inside of my duffel. :)
    Sigh, me too, probably. I've been meaning to take a photo of this kit for several months now -- and I added the cans just this week because I'm about to go on a trip that will involve lots of driving and driving over passes but not lingering in cold places, so I'm not worried about them exploding on this particular expedition. It'd actually probably be better to put the cans in my second bag (or up front with the chocolate).... although then I'd be more tempted to drink them when they aren't needed for an emergency "still have a couple of hours left to drive" situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    @Darcy -- where did you get the shovels? This is great. Thanks.
    The first shovel I bought at Costco, and then when I added a second I found it on Amazon. Here's the link to the same or similar shovel on Amazon.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in New Jersey we'd probably also add a bathing suit and a beach towel, since our weather this "winter" has been all over the map, and who wouldn't want to be prepared for a beach day?
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got much of the same stuff in my car, in case an earthquake hits while I'm away from home - although, knock on wood, so far it's mostly been a wrangling stray dogs kit.

After the leash, dog treats, and water bowl, my next-most-frequently used item is actually a roll of toilet paper, since a surprising number of restrooms at playgrounds, parks, or dodgy gas stations don't have any. (The hard part is remembering to check first, not realize once it's too late.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    @ceepee has the emergency chocolate idea covered! She discovered this indispensable travel accessory.

Yeoman Late Winter/Early Spring Road Trip Car Kit-img_20170315_084826-jpg
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast