Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salut de Paris

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salut de Paris

Hi folks!

It's been a while!

I am in Paris, and wanted to share some pictures!

I traveled in the absolutely amazing Hero's Journey! This is my first adventure with this bag, and I love the organization and capacity the Hero's Journey provides. I am amazed at how comfortable the pack was to carry given how much I packed! The padded waist strap is just fantastic! I have to admit, I did get a little carried away... :)

The bottom compartment held a travel blanket.

The main compartment, 3 t-shirts were packed in one packing cube, and 3 pairs of underwear and 2 pairs of socks were packed in another.

There were also two books in the main compartment, each laying on top of a packing cube.

And, I packed a Synapse 19 in the main compartment as well, which had inside of it a 15" MacBook Pro (Touch bar edition) inside a cache, a 9.7" iPad Pro inside a cache, power adapters and charging cables inside of a Second Aid Pouch, a battery for charging USB devices, and other accessories.

I also tucked an empty refillable bottle in the main compartment of the Hero's Journey. This worked out really well! When the drink cart came around, the flight attendant kindly filled my water bottle, and it made it easy to stay hydrated during the flight. She refilled it before we landed, and it provided me with hydration as I went off into Paris!

The top compartment had my dry toiletries inside of a Spiff Kit. I also had a thin running jacket (which I wore when I was out in Paris), and a synthetic down jacket (which I wore onboard the flight to stay warm).

One side pocket held a 3D clear packing cube with liquid toiletries, and also my safety razor (without a blade). I kept these two in one side pocket to make it easy to pull them out when I went through security. While it isn't necessary to pull out the safety razor, it will get pulled out when they see it in the x-ray, which could result in more thorough screening. The security personnel did inspect the safety razor, and were satisfied when I showed them that there was on blade inside. :) I can buy a blade once I get to Spain, and dispose of it before I fly back.

The other side pocket had a couple of Kind bars, a cut apple (which would serve as my breakfast onboard), and gum.

Once I arrived at my apartment in Paris, I stored the Hero's Journey there, and used the Synapse 19 as I walked about Paris.

Below are some pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-8-jpg 
    Last edited by maverick; 04-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the train into Paris, got a cappuccino, and explored a bit, as I couldn't check into my apartment until 13:30.
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-7-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-2-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-6-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arriving at the apartment.
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-9-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-10-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-11-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-12-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exploring Paris...
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-13-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-15-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-16-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-17-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-19-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-20-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-21-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-22-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-23-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-24-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-25-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-26-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-27-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-28-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-29-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-30-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More pictures around Paris...
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-39-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-37-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-33-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-41-jpg  Salut de Paris-paris-april-2017-43-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was picking up my boarding pass at Washington Dulles International Airport, the Air France representative was concerned about the weight of my bag (13.6 kg). I showed her that the Hero's Journey had my personal item / laptop bag (the Synapse 19) inside, and explained that it is easier for me to walk with one pack on. I was prepared to pull that out, and move the top compartment inside the Hero's Journey if required. But she was completely fine with it. She mentioned that I may want to separate it as I am boarding the aircraft, but no one fussed about the size of the Hero's Journey when I was boarding, so it all worked out nicely!

Also wanted to share that I slipped my watch, wallet, passport and boarding pass into that second side compartment of the Hero's Journey when I went through security -- and then returned those items to my pockets.

Aboard the aircraft, the only items I removed from the Hero's Journey for use in-flight were my earphones (which were in a mini padded organizer pouch inside one of the front side pockets of the Synapse 19) and the water bottle. Given that these two items will be taken out for my flight tomorrow, I think it makes sense to pack them in the side pocket of the Hereo's Journey.

The flight tomorrow is aboard a Boeing 737 operated by Air Europa. I'll share how it all works out! :)
    -m

Montana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review and pictures! I was in Paris over the holidays. It's an amazing city.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those pictures remind me of scenes in The Bourne Identity. I hope there is no squad of illicit black ops assassins pursuing you. 😉

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pictures!

Thank you for modeling TB bags in such an elegant manner.

And thank you for your forever useful travel tips.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air Europa's Boeing 737 liked the Hero's Journey, as did the airline personnel -- the flight was full, and someone from the airline made the rounds looking for roll aboard suitcases that could be checked. They didn't bother approaching the Hero's Journey, even though it was technically much bigger than their roll aboard suitcases. I think they were looking at what else the passenger had, asking if they had a laptop or other electronics in their roll aboard suitcase.
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-1-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around Torremolinos today, on the southern coast of Spain today. The water was cold, but it was a beautiful, sunny day to be out on the beach!

I enjoyed going through the charming market with my Small Island Shop Bag. There was live music, some very cool sand art, delicious fruit -- it was just a beautiful day!

I took the train from the airport to Torremolinos, and walked from the station to my apartment. I had done the same thing in Paris -- took the train from the airport to Chatalet, near my apartment, and walked from there. Having everything in a single pack like the Hero's Journey makes that easy and fun!

There is a view of the ocean from my balcony. It's gotten dark, but I can still hear the waves. I contemplated packing a sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but instead brought a blanket. There is a recliner on the balcony. I think I am going to use my blanket and sleep on the recliner. Good night!
    Attached Images Attached Images Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-2-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-3-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-5-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-9-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-13-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-11-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-10-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-7-jpg  Salut de Paris-malaga-april-2017-12-jpg 
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maverick, thank you for posting your beautiful pictures and allowing us to come along on your travels. Paris is one of my all time favorite cities, but Torremolinos looks stunning. Keep the pictures coming. They brighten my day. Enjoy your adventure with the Hero's Journey.

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sand sculpture of The Godfather has the head of Khartoum. That's...hardcore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Arriving at the apartment.
    Ooh, air bnb? We're trying to figure out where to stay in Paris when we go in October. Any recommendations for apts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast