Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 Packing Cube Backpack with a Freudian Slip

So I was looking for a new smaller, lightweight EDC bag to carry the basic gear with room for a bit more here and there. Now that the weather has made a legit turn towards spring there isn't a need for hat, gloves, vest/pullover, etc. I looked at the Daylight Backpack but something about the format left me wanting. All bags have their limitations and I felt I would want more from the DLBP than it could give me. Hard to really know without trying but I decided against it. The Daylight Briefcase seemed a good option (I figure I'll eventually get one) but I preferred to stay off the shoulder bag format this time.

I was at a bit of a dead end. Tried a bag from another maker that was solid but the lack of organization made daily use a chore, as tends to be the case when I go outside the TB family. While browsing around the site for other items the A30 Packing Cube Backpack caught my eye. The separate top/bottom setup would figure to fit my needs for keeping certain things in certain places. What about the large compartment though? Just a big space with nothing in there and no structure. I know plenty of people put a Freudian Slip in the DLBP so maybe that could work for the A30 PCBP. After a quick email to customer service to check dimensions I decided to take a chance on the large Cafe Bag FS with the PCBP. Additionally, both of those items could serve multiple purposes. While I was really focused on the backpack aspect of the PCBP it is also a packing cube should the need arise. The FS could be dropped in other bags for organization. This option seemed like the most bang for my buck.

Enough about the labor, here's the baby. Apologies for the picture quality, had to use my phone.

A30 PCBP 1
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The LCB FS is a great fit in the large compartment. The top loop has to fold over but that's no obstacle.

A30 PCBP 2
    by Nate E, on Flickr

A mini organizer pouch holds a small flashlight and multitool. I will probably leave it out tethered on the keystrap but it can fit in one of the top middle FS pockets.

A30 PCBP 3
    by Nate E, on Flickr

A30 PCBP 4
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The other top middle pocket has a phone charger.

A30 PCBP 5
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The bottom mesh pockets hold a notebook sleeve on one side.

A30 PCBP 6
    by Nate E, on Flickr

And some sundries on the other.

A30 PCBP 7
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accessing the other side of the FS is no problem but you need to make sure it doesn't tip over and fall out if you open the main zipper too far. Here's where the top loop comes in handy. Use a double carabiner to hold the loop in one side and the middle o-ring in the other side. Now the FS stays in the bag and can be rotated to face the other way without detaching it.

A30 PCBP 8
    by Nate E, on Flickr

A30 PCBP 9
    by Nate E, on Flickr

A30 PCBP 10
    by Nate E, on Flickr

On the document side of the FS I have a calendar for work and a medium sized notebook for training/classes. At my job they're trying to reuse a lot of the printed training materials so we're asked not to write in them. I'm usually the only person who brings a notebook which is a bit surprising.

A30 PCBP 11
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The top pocket has a small organizer, mini Q kit and some kleenex. These hold things like small FAK items, earbuds, lighter, chapstick, etc. Still plenty of room in here for a snack bar, phone and the like.

A30 PCBP 12
    by Nate E, on Flickr

The flat front zip pocket has work keys (or home/car keys when at work) and sunglasses.

A30 PCBP 13
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Also got some Island cord to match the bag and tried a new pull pattern.

A30 PCBP 14
    by Nate E, on Flickr

I removed the waist strap but found that the mounting loop was a handy place to stash an extra just-in-case carabiner. Turns out that was good color match too.

A30 PCBP 15
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Starting tomorrow this will be my daily setup. A water bottle, lunch box, and lightweight vest will likely find their way in. We'll see how it goes but so far this is panning out the way I had envisioned. Just goes to show I should have known the solution was within Tom Bihn all along.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The Freudian Slip double carabiner solution is brilliant! I'm going to try it in my Daylight Backpack. Thank you for sharing this! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan, I always appreciate how well done your reviews are. I love the detailed pictures too. They give a really accurate idea of the product, in this case the A30 pcbp. I never really considered one before but now I will take a second look thanks to your post.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm glad if they are helpful for others.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    loved your reviews!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told myself I didn't need any new TB gear for a while, and here are some excellent photos that prove me otherwise. Thanks for sharing your setup! It's giving me ideas for my own EDC that I didn't think of before.
    Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review. Can you show how the bag looks on your back?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the best picture but here it is worn.

A30 PCBP worn
    by Nate E, on Flickr