Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 Thoughts after 5 years and 30,000+ miles.

My name's Jon. I'm, among many other things, a writer.

I bought a Synapse 19 in the early months of 2012; in the past 5 years, my bag has been with me everywhere I've been, living in 7/8 countries and traveling through another few dozen.

Now that I have a few months to sit and think with nothing major on my plate, I thought it'd be good to reflect on the bag and what it's been through, and how it's handled the challenges I've thrown at it.

I'd like to say, very firmly, that the Synapse 19 (used in the fashion I use mine) is not for everyone. I travel very, very lightly: my bag generally weighs somewhere between 10 and 12lbs fully loaded, no matter where I'm going be it Iceland or Nepal, or Australia or Mexico. That being said, I don't think a bag exists that I would replace my Synapse 19 with, and I probably wouldn't need to anyway because this is the most durable thing I've ever owned.

Staying away from rehashing specs and basic features, the most surprising thing about the Synapse is how simple and straightforward it is, how everything just sort of makes sense. I was able to develop a personal packing system for this bag within a week of owning it, and I haven't been able to improve on it since; things have a place, and the layout and design of the bag shows that Tom (and whoever helps him design bags, I assume) has both a strong understanding of good design in a vacuum, and, more importantly, the way that human beings interact with bags when they travel.

I'm struggling to come up with anything truly negative to say about the bag. Mine is the original iteration, and I'd maybe like to have the loops to fully use my cache that I bought years later, but it isn't a huge deal. The colorway has become more boring over the years (I think it was Steel/Solar but I can't remember for sure), but that's about all I've got.

It's the one thing I've bought in the past five years that I haven't had to ever worry about, which is huge when you're living thousands of miles away from everything you know and are trying to both be a productive professional and integrate into a new culture and society.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading posts like this where people share their personal viewpoints on their favorite bag and why. It's so neat (and what a skill!) that you can pack and live out of the S19 and how you state that it is not for everyone. Glad you found "your bag" and that it has served you so well!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great feedback. Do you have photos and a packing list? I am always curious how some people are able to pack so light, I am getting better but have a long way to go. It would also be interesting to see what a well used bag looks like after 5 year.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My packing list is fairly personal to me, and I don't know what others would really get out of it but here it is.

https://airtable.com/invite/l?invite...5b1e9c5ed73807

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowster View Post
    My name's Jon. I'm, among many other things, a writer.

I bought a Synapse 19 in the early months of 2012; in the past 5 years, my bag has been with me everywhere I've been, living in 7/8 countries and traveling through another few dozen.

Now that I have a few months to sit and think with nothing major on my plate, I thought it'd be good to reflect on the bag and what it's been through, and how it's handled the challenges I've thrown at it.

I'd like to say, very firmly, that the Synapse 19 (used in the fashion I use mine) is not for everyone. I travel very, very lightly: my bag generally weighs somewhere between 10 and 12lbs fully loaded, no matter where I'm going be it Iceland or Nepal, or Australia or Mexico. That being said, I don't think a bag exists that I would replace my Synapse 19 with, and I probably wouldn't need to anyway because this is the most durable thing I've ever owned.

Staying away from rehashing specs and basic features, the most surprising thing about the Synapse is how simple and straightforward it is, how everything just sort of makes sense. I was able to develop a personal packing system for this bag within a week of owning it, and I haven't been able to improve on it since; things have a place, and the layout and design of the bag shows that Tom (and whoever helps him design bags, I assume) has both a strong understanding of good design in a vacuum, and, more importantly, the way that human beings interact with bags when they travel.

I'm struggling to come up with anything truly negative to say about the bag. Mine is the original iteration, and I'd maybe like to have the loops to fully use my cache that I bought years later, but it isn't a huge deal. The colorway has become more boring over the years (I think it was Steel/Solar but I can't remember for sure), but that's about all I've got.

It's the one thing I've bought in the past five years that I haven't had to ever worry about, which is huge when you're living thousands of miles away from everything you know and are trying to both be a productive professional and integrate into a new culture and society.
    I would love to see what the bag looks like and I would totally read about your adventures and discoveries you found integrating with the locals. Beautiful post!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Definitely wanna see how the bag look like after all the travels in 5 years!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few quick photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dw7ddozaw...cMBLmlKAa?dl=0

Shows the one blemish on my bag, and the zip gaskets that are collecting a bit of the solar dyneema.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't open your packing list link.... but would love to know how you did it in cold weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing, still holding up really good. I wonder if halcyon could also hold this long with all the abuses?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruityTribe View Post
    I couldn't open your packing list link.... but would love to know how you did it in cold weather!

I travel with a fairly lightweight down jacket.

https://www.cotopaxi.com/collections...-jacket-mens-1

There's nothing particularly exciting about it, and there are dozens of options that do the same. But the general idea is that you wear an insulative midlayer and a shell on top. Add to that, I run hot and don't particularly mind sensible cold, and I'm not doing any major mountaineering or alpine adventures, and it works fine.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowster View Post
    I travel with a fairly lightweight down jacket.

https://www.cotopaxi.com/collections...-jacket-mens-1

There's nothing particularly exciting about it, and there are dozens of options that do the same. But the general idea is that you wear an insulative midlayer and a shell on top. Add to that, I run hot and don't particularly mind sensible cold, and I'm not doing any major mountaineering or alpine adventures, and it works fine.
    Thanks so much for that info!