Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec

Hey everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster, etc.

I've been steadily downsizing what I bring on trips, most recently going from a 41L Eagle Creek bag to the Aeronaut 30. I love the A30, but its lack of laptop accommodation makes it a bit of a hassle at airport security when one-bagging. So for my upcoming trip to Singapore to visit family at the end of the month, I've decided to see what I can do with the Smart Alec.

I wanted to plan for flexibility on two fronts: (1) I'll be wandering around town a lot, so I need at least one small EDC bag, and (2) given that Singapore is essentially a giant shopping mall, I will inevitably acquire stuff while I'm there that I will need to carry back with me. The obvious solution seems to be to use my Halcyon Side Effect, Side Kick, and Daylight Briefcase as packing cubes within the SA. The SE and SK will be my EDC options while I'm there, and the DLBC can be deployed as a personal item on the trip back to accommodate any overflow. Additionally, if necessary the SK can be attached to the top of the SA as an ersatz modular pocket, freeing up more room inside.

Here's how my test-pack worked out:

SMART ALEC + CACHE
    I just acquired this baby and all the reviews calling it a black hole are 100% accurate. It's a big, barrel-shaped (and yet surprisingly svelte) workhorse and I'm excited to be taking my first trip with it. I picked up an upper modular pocket as well, but am not planning on using it this trip. The Cache contains my Surface Pro 4 and positively disappears into the yawning maw of the SA.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-packing00-jpg

3D ORGANIZER CUBE
    Liquids and other toiletries. I haven't had problems in the past putting them all in one bag, but in case security gets picky I'll have an all-fabric OC into which I can separate the non-liquids if necessary.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-3doc-jpg

SIDE KICK
    My in-flight bag, containing everything necessary to keep me entertained for 18+ hours in the air: Kindle, Nexus 5x phone, Bose QC35 headphones, and their assorted chargers, plus a charmingly analog notebook and pens, eyeshades, and the all-important lip balm. There's room for some snacks, too.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-sk-jpg

SIDE EFFECT
    Miscellaneous bits and pieces in here: Surface charger and stylus, wireless mouse, folding Bluetooth keyboard, hairbrush and spare glasses. Not planning on accessing this during the flight.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-se-jpg

DAYLIGHT BRIEFCASE
    Here's where my clothes go. I'm staying with my family, so I'll have access to regular laundry, but still wanted to pack enough clothes to last a week and cover a variety of activities from rock climbing to dinner at a nice restaurant.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-dlbc-jpg

I should note that the SE, SK, and DLBC all have their shoulder straps stored in their respective front pockets, for deployment as EDC on arrival.

TRAVEL STUFF SACK #2
    The number one pastime in Singapore is eating, so I want to make sure I stay as active as possible to avoid getting too out of shape. Fortunately my yoga towel fits perfectly into a size 2 Travel Stuff Sack.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-tss2-jpg

TRAVEL STUFF SACK #4
    No such perfect fit here, unfortunately! I'm planning to do a tour of Singapore's climbing gyms while I'm there, so my trusty climbing shoes and chalk bag are coming with me. They're an inconvenient size and shape, and I could only really get them to fit in a size 4 Travel Stuff Sack.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-tss4-jpg

And here's how it all fits into the SA! (1) The Cache is already installed, and the stuff sack containing my climbing gear is placed horizontally on the bottom of the bag. (2) The DLBC goes in vertically against the Cache, while the stuff sack with my yoga towel goes horizontally in front of it, on top of the climbing stuff sack. (3) The SK sits happily on top of that stuff sack and in front of the DLBC, where it can be easily pulled out to serve as my in-flight bag.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-packing01-jpg

Finally, the SE and 3DOC are crammed into the side pockets. The 3DOC is tethered to an o-ring by a keystrap, so I can pull it out during security checks.

12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-forum-packing02-jpg

It's pretty much stuffed to the gills, but, to be honest, I was a little shocked that it all actually fit. It's definitely not an optimal set-up to live out of (that's where the A30 shines), but, as I'll be staying in one place for the duration of my visit and will be unpacking everything when I arrive, that's not an issue here.

I've got several weeks to procrastinate, um, i mean "refine my packing", before my trip, but right now this seems pretty optimal. Looking forward to taking my first trip with my new SA!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love epic first posts like yours! I have a Smart Alec too, but have always resorted to an Aeronaut for travel. I'm inspired to try the SA now.

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic post! I like your use of the DLBC as a packing cube. You could use that as a second bag full of purchases on the way home. I love my Smart Alec. It holds a shocking amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Emerald Yam, you ROCK! And your first post, no less (don't make it your last, K?) ! Thanks for all the photos, amazing how much you have in there.

I have the SA for the same reasons you do, the less the better, and am getting ready to buy one for my daughter so we can travel light together.

Enjoy your trip!

Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I love epic first posts like yours! I have a Smart Alec too, but have always resorted to an Aeronaut for travel. I'm inspired to try the SA now.
    Thanks! I suspect those of us with epic first posts have been just saving up months and months of repressed Tom Bihn geekery and are just searching for the right opportunity to inflict that geekery on others. :)

I was surprised that it didn't feel like I was leaving anything out compared to my A30 packing lists! That being said, it is JAM-PACKED full, and I would not want to have to hop from hotel to hotel with it. I think for road trips I'd definitely prefer my A30, just for the flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Fantastic post! I like your use of the DLBC as a packing cube. You could use that as a second bag full of purchases on the way home. I love my Smart Alec. It holds a shocking amount.
    It really does! Also, if I (a) use the DLBC as a second bag, (b) attach the SK to the modular pocket loops, and (c) clip the SE into the SA's hip belt so it serves as a sort of integrated waist pack, that adds 13.5 extra liters of space!

Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Wow Emerald Yam, you ROCK! And your first post, no less (don't make it your last, K?) ! Thanks for all the photos, amazing how much you have in there.

I have the SA for the same reasons you do, the less the better, and am getting ready to buy one for my daughter so we can travel light together.

Enjoy your trip!
    Thank you! I'll try to keep posting. I'm sure there's a lot more fun TB-inspired adventures in my future. :)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @EmeraldYam,

As others have stated, this is a great first post and pictures. Just a quick comment on your nice configuration plans to use your Side Kick as an upper modular pocket on the Smart Alec. You've probably already checked this out, but I'd just thought that I'd comment that although @Amy's method of using a pair of 1-1/2Ē Triangle Metal Hooks to attach a Side Effect or Side Kick works for older Smart Alecs, such as my late 2012 Aubergine Ballistic Nylon/Wasabi Smart Alec, the webbing loops of recent Smart Alecs, like my Black Halcyon/Island Smart Alec, seem to be much tighter, and I need to use a pair of 1.5" Single Gatekeeper Clips instead, as @eliza did. (The 1.5" long Gatekeepers currently appear to be out of stock, but the link should be correct for the location if these get restocked).

Here's @Amy's attachment picture
    12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-a24e1d5877e6cc1cdc058c63a0684c54-jpg

Note that the webbing loop has to accommodate a curved triangle metal clip.

Here's @eliza's used of the 1.5" single gatekeeper clip on a Side Effect:
    12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-55059a59bbbf1ac677290a4b31abc850-jpg

I posted pictures of the Side Kick attached this way (with a pair of 1.5" Single Gatekeeper clips) in the Halcyon Smart Alec + Ballistic Upper Module Pocket (UMP) thread.

The reason for using the 1.5" long Gatekeeper clips instead of the 1" Gatekeepers is that the height of the Side Kick means that it pretty much covers the top of the Smart Alec. Given the position of the webbing loops, it will either ride unusually high or unusually low on the top of the Smart Alec if you use the 1" long Gatekeepers, and will look and feel less balanced.

(The extra length of the 1.5" Gatekeeper lets the Side Kick sit centered on the top of the Smart Alec)

Notice that an Upper Modular Pocket (in Black Halcyon) looks more balanced for the top of the Smart Alec:
    12 days in Singapore with the Smart Alec-img_3244-jpg

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize that newer smart Alecs have smaller loops that don't allow you to fit the triangle clip.

One reason I like the triangle carabiner clip method is that it lets me clip on the side effect via its side rings very quickly and easily, no threading through webbing required. The gatekeeper method looks a little harder to attach and remove. But it does look more streamlined.

Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I didn't realize that newer smart Alecs have smaller loops that don't allow you to fit the triangle clip.

One reason I like the triangle carabiner clip method is that it lets me clip on the side effect via its side rings very quickly and easily, no threading through webbing required. The gatekeeper method looks a little harder to attach and remove. But it does look more streamlined.

I recently purchased a Smart Alec + Side Kick as UMP combo in large part to your and @moriond's pictures of attaching a Side Effect/Kick to the Smart Alec. I can tell you that it is very quick and easy to attach and remove the Gatekeeper clips once I reacquainted myself with how to do so. It only takes me about 30 seconds to add or remove my Side Kick from the Smart Alec. (Actually, removing the SK takes about 10 seconds and attaching it clocks in at about 30 seconds.) I had thought it would be much more tedious than it turned out to be, especially given that the SK will be clipped on and off multiple times on some days.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @EmeraldYam,

As others have stated, this is a great first post and pictures. Just a quick comment on your nice configuration plans to use your Side Kick as an upper modular pocket on the Smart Alec. You've probably already checked this out, but I'd just thought that I'd comment that although @Amy's method of using a pair of 1-1/2” Triangle Metal Hooks to attach a Side Effect or Side Kick works for older Smart Alecs, such as my late 2012 Aubergine Ballistic Nylon/Wasabi Smart Alec, the webbing loops of recent Smart Alecs, like my Black Halcyon/Island Smart Alec, seem to be much tighter, and I need to use a pair of 1.5" Single Gatekeeper Clips instead, as @eliza did. (The 1.5" long Gatekeepers currently appear to be out of stock, but the link should be correct for the location if these get restocked).
    Hahaha, thank you! I did my research and read all of your posts on the subject before ordering my SA. I'm probably the reason the 1.5" Gatekeeepers are out of stock, as I snapped up two pairs of them along with my SA. I've tested it out and it works very nicely, exactly as illustrated by your extremely helpful photos!