1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot

The TOM BIHN Co-Pilot was introduced over 7 years ago -- isn't it amazing how time flies!

I had for a long time used it as an occasional compliment to the Aeronaut or other travel bag. My son has also used it off an on, carrying his iPad, Pokemon cards, legos, and whatever else inside. But recently, after migrating to the 12" MacBook, I have adopted the Co-Pilot as an EDC.

For me, the Co-Pilot as an EDC enforces a certain discipline, which I must admit I at times rebel against. At the same time, I know that that discipline is good for me -- that discipline forces me to think about how I want to use the 10 liter capacity of the Co-Pilot!

The reward I get in return is a wonderfully small bag that is easy to carry regardless of where I am going or what I am doing.

The Co-Pilot is also a great companion whether I am going out for a walk or for a morning of evening hike!

Here's what I have in my Co-Pilot today --

Main Compartment:
    * 12" MacBook
    * 9.7" iPad Pro -- I have to pick between that or a letter size paper notebook
    * Sketchbook in one of the pockets
    * Rechargeable battery and a deck of cards in the other pocket

Front Left Pocket:
    * Phone (occasionally two)
    * Earphones
    * Second Aid Kit with power adapters and cables

Front Middle Pocket:
    * 20 oz hydroflask with water

Front Right Pocket:
    * Pen
    * Lip balm
    * Laser Pointer
    * Apple Pencil
    * Spork
    * Keys
    * Hand lotion
    * Gum
    * Tissues

Going on a hike, I can leave the technology behind (well, except the phone -- and the battery if my phone battery is low), and add fruit or a Kind bar or some such thing. It is such a versatile bag!

Having said that, I am excited that the Black/Island Pilot is on its way and should arrive later this week! More on that soon! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-copilot-jpg 
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello @maverick,

May I know which edition is your 12" MacBook? I would like to have a look at your Dimension Specification. Also, it wasn't mention in your Post that you used any Sleeve like Cache with your Co-Pilot. Do you?
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, FBPW, OP/L
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCB, SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only just acquired my Co-pilot, but have put it to the acid test straight away as my EDC on a crazy work trip, flying from New Zealand to France for meetings and then back again. It's worked beautifully! I'll post a proper review with photos when I'm finally back home (currently in Sydney, waiting for the last flight of my itinerary), but I am really delighted with how it's worked out. When I opened the box, I was worried it looked too small, but suffice to say it includes the same TARDIS technology as all my other Tom Bihn bags—I don't know how they do it, but this bag carries a lot more than appearances would suggest.
    Current kit: Empire Builder (Black/Wasabi) - weekday EDC | Synapse 25 (Olive/Steel) - weekend EDC | Copilot (Black/Island) - travel EDC | Plus travel tray and pouches too numerous to name ...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Hello @maverick,

May I know which edition is your 12" MacBook? I would like to have a look at your Dimension Specification. Also, it wasn't mention in your Post that you used any Sleeve like Cache with your Co-Pilot. Do you?
    There is only 1 12" Macbook.
    Mine drops right into the big pocket of the Co-Pilot and I have a Tucano skin on it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2016 MacBook, but it is not dimensionally different from the 2015 model:

11.04" wide x 7.74" deep x 0.14–0.52" thick / 28.05 cm wide x 19.65 cm deep x 0.35–1.31 cm thick.

Apple once had a 12" Powerbook. If I am not mistaken, Tom used to use a 12" Powerbook back in the day.

I will be carrying the MacBook in a horizontal Cache (should arrive Friday - yay! :) ), but I've been managing in the mean time with something my IT dude had.

I'm excited to read your review and see your pictures, @impluvium!

By the way, just finished dinner at District Taco! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-districtcopilot-jpg 
    Last edited by maverick; 05-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pilot arrived on Friday, and it looks absolutely stunning in Black/Island. It leaves me wanting to get a Black/Island Co-Pilot (perhaps Steel/Island), but let's focus on one bag at a time ;). The Pilot nicely holds what the Co-Pilot would hold as an EDC, but with space for a few more things.

The biggest change in that regard for me is that I can carry the 12" MacBook, the 9.7" iPad Pro, and a letter size notebook in the main compartment at the same time. Whether I should is another questions. :)

The front left and right pockets of course also hold a great deal more, and that means that it made sense to me, at least at first pass, to organize things a little differently in the Pilot.

I'll share more exciting pictures -- I am carrying the Pilot to work for the first time today! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-img_20170519_153328-jpg  Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-img_20170519_153412-jpg  Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-img_20170519_153427-jpg  Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-img_20170519_153443-jpg  Rediscovering the TOM BIHN Co-Pilot-img_20170519_153508-jpg 
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2015 Navy/Iberian Co-Pilot has been my work EDC for the past year. Previously I was using a small Cafe Bag but need to haul more stuff to and from work so the Co-Pilot has been back in action. For smaller adventures I use the Cafe Bag.

I haven't posted in awhile but I'm still a huge TB fan! I use my Ego now for gigs and all guitar-related accessories!
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My CP and Pilot are my go to bags Love the organizational capabilities.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.