1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Day with the Daylight Backpack.

6' 3" Hiketographer likes his DLBP in Olive

I got to say, this bag really impressed me, but first a little background. I purchased my first Tom Bihn bag, a Ristretto back in 2011. Last year, needing some quality baggage to tote my photography, videography and MacBook, I decided to turn again to Tom Bihn. I settled on the BrainBag (With Cache) in Olive and absolutely loved how it carried my gear, safely and easily all over Guatemala.

I carried two other bags with me, a Pacsafe shoulder bag and a very old but still functional Outdoor Products USA backpack. Both of those bags worked very well. However the Outdoor Products USA backpack needed an upgrade.

As I was pondering my next purchase to fill in some gaps I was going to have this year carrying a personal item and needing to carry, deploy and quickly stash my image stabilized gimbal I will be carrying with me this year, the daylight backpack really caught my eye. No it is not my personal item in addition to my Brainbag( the Night Flight Duffel is), but it will be my daypack as we are doing mission work again in Guatemala and roaming the shops and markets.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

So yesterday was the day I decided to use my Tom Bihn Daylight Backpack and see how usable it was going to be for me. My Son and I loaded up the car and headed to the mountains of Western North Carolina. I loaded up the DLBP with two 20 oz Hydro Flask Insulated Water Bottles full of ice water, a long sleeved shirt in the bottom of the shingled compartments, and my Tactical Sunglass Case (has a lot of ways to secure it) clipped to a TB key strap in the inside compartment. On the outside diagonal pocket, I had a GoPro Hero 5 on a fold up extension pole with a charger and extra batteries, my Sony RX-100 mk4 Point and Shoot, and various extras. The pack started getting a little more added to it throughout the day as we acquired some purchases.

I was really worried at the DLBP's straps being non padded, but that was short lived as I began to wear it. The bag preformed beyond my expectations in all regards. It was big enough to carry my essentials, light enough to be unnoticeable, and very low profiled as to maneuver around in a tight cave.

I think this bag will be perfect for my upcoming trip to Guatemala, as well as for trips to town and as an ultralight hiking pack. In fact, I will be taking it along on my hiking trip later this week to the Linville Gorge which will chew up and spit out lesser gear. This will definitely make an excellent scramble pack!

As for which one to get in Halcyon or 1000 Cordura... that one is probably tough one... I just really like the 1000 Cordura material and feel it is better suited for my needs. I can see where the Halcyon can be a better choice if weight and packability is your need. I just really like the Olive color, blends in so nicely to the scenery.

Later on I will post some more pics as well as my review of the Night Flight Travel Duffel in Verde and how it will carry my DSLR.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great. Sorry for switching focus -- but what is a tactical sunglasses case? I'd love a case that would fit large glasses and clip to a keystrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Fulton, my search to protect my Costa prescription Backfin sunglasses has been a long one.

My criteria was they have some sort of hard protection to prevent crushing in a bag or in you pocket and also to have some way of tethering it to a belt, strap or something. The attachment had to be good.

The one I finally found I am happy with is the One Tigris tactical Eyeglass case. It has MOLLE webbing and a clip to attach it multiple ways. I clipped my Tom Bihn Keystrap to the clip on the case.

Seems to be well made, crush resistant, secure and soft material lining the inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3...HML&ref=plSrch

Lots of cases have hard sided protection, but few have a good way to attach them to something. Hope this helps👍

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW the Blackfins by Costa have defied fitting some of the other cases I have purchased. They are huge, but this case gobbles them up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Daylight Backpack more than any other bag. :) I have the same olive one and an original halcyon version that gets more use. I love the o color, but the squishiness of halcyon wins out over Cordura. I've used the DLBP as a packing cube, I've rolled and packed it. I like it so much I use it outside of travel now as an every day bag.
    The unpadded straps are a plus. They fit on my shoulders and stay put. They only thing I would add is a light loop for night bike rides. But then I wish every bag had a light loop.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree I recently acquired a DLBP in a swap and I'm super impressed with its comfort and versatility. I'm curious what took me so long to get on the bus.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have Tifosa glasses that I really like. But they're also very large. This looks like it just might handle them -- and let me either clip to a belt or a TB keystrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiketographer -- Thank you so much. The One Tigris case arrived today, and it was exactly what I needed. Fits even large glasses and has a way to clip to a TB key strap or molle to connect to a belt or shoulder strap. Thanks again.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Blackfin by Costa! I have the OmniFit 580G. One fishing trip with these in the open waters for tuna, and it's a game changer! I may need to give the tactical case a try.

Also, I never thought to use the DLBP as a packing cube for my A45. Hmmm, time to plan a trip just to try it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A45 | Pilot | S25 | DLBP | Tenba Messenger DNA 15 | CamelBak Arete 22 | Incase DSLR Pro Camera Backpack | FireForce Cordura Round Duffel Small
    Son | Husband | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great overview. I have been thinking of the A30 PCPB (the two-compartment one) to use in my Tri-star (as well as a theoretical future A45), but I am wondering about whether the DLBP might be the right way to go. Everyone loves it. And I certainly love my DLBC more than I expected to. More Daylight?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked for you Fulton!