Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Pilot in Tokyo

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot in Tokyo

I'm currently writing this from our hotel room in Ginza, Tokyo, Japan. The wife and I are wrapping up our one-year wedding anniversary trip today. I've never been to Japan, so I was nervous initially on what/how to pack.

I had my trusty A45 (1050d ballistic) as my main luggage, and my Pilot (Halcyon) was my personal item. I originally wanted to bring my DLBP (Halcyon) as my personal/walk-around pack, but my wife has been to Japan before and she mentioned that backpacks + humidity can result to some sweaty excursions. I didn't want to be 'that' tourist on the subway with a back-sweat stain and possible odor to top it off (TMI?).

So I opted for the Pilot. It was perfect!!!

I mainly wore it cross-body like a messenger and it would rest on my lower-back/hip. No sweaty back syndrome!!!

We averaged 35,000 steps each, daily. It wasn't super hot, but it was quite humid compared to what I'm used to.

The Halcyon material was great as it provided some flexibility when stuffing the bag into bag bins found at many Japanese restaurants. It was even a great companion at Tokyo Disney Sea.

Here's a rundown of my daily TOKYO loadout:

Main compartment
    - Canon EOS 80D + EF-S 24mm f/2.4 STM in an Ape Case camera insert
    - Pedco UltraPod II tabletop tripod
    - iPad mini in one of the pockets

Front-left compartment:
    - Anker back-up battery
    - Ray Ban sunglasses w/ case
    - Pens
    - Small TB pouch + long key strap (this was a great Yen/coin wallet)
    - Pocket WiFi hotspot

Middle compartment:
    - 1L Vapur water flask (filled to the brim was a tough fit, so I would fill it up and take a quick swig to reduce its height)

Front-right compartment:
    - Sunscreen
    - Hand sanitizer
    - Small bottle of meds
    - Travel umbrella

I normally had my camera out, ready-to-shoot, so the bag had lots of room. But I would stow the camera away occasionally, and the Pilot wasn't overstuffed! There was still enough room for a can of iced coffee and some onigiri.

I never thought my work bag would be so practical as a camera/daypack in new lands. What a great bag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot in Tokyo

Just a pic of my A45 + Pilot on the Ginza line. :D

Last edited by PandaOps; 06-08-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the DLBC and will use this again in Tokyo next month, but I like the Pilot's organization. How heavy did it get? I prefer a backpack to ease the weight on one arm or shoulder, but I know exactly what you mean re: humidity and back sweating! I also found that the DLBC in halcyon holds a lot but not as much as I would like.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drandrew View Post
    How heavy did it get?
    With the DSLR stowed and the 1L full, it will be noticeable, but manageable (YMMV). I did switch shoulders periodically, and it was fine.

A typical 20 fl oz bottle and compact camera with all of the other items would be a lighter load definitely.

I love my DLBP, but also agree that it's not as smartly organized. Wearing the Pilot cross-body was easier for me to quickly access my Yen wallet, passport, water, etc. Just a quick swing of the bag and everything is in front of me. I also think since a backpack is taller rather than wider, you lose that top volume for items. And if you do pack it to the top with something like a packable wind breaker, it will block your lower items.

My DLBP is great, however, with items that are larger in size so they don't all just sink to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honolulu Hawaii
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently waiting for my burnt orange co-pilot to arrive so I can also use it to carry my Canon 70D with the 24mm pancake lens. Good to see other people using their pilots and co-pilots for the same purpose. Hopefully the co-pilot will have enough room to suit my needs. Thanks for providing your experience on the forums!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ry_r2

I'm glad my post was of some help to you! I haven't used or seen a Co-Pilot IRL, so I'm excited to read of (and see) your experience—especially with your DLSR.

Sidebar: How awesome is that 24mm pancake lens, eh?!

Honolulu Hawaii
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pandaops

I will definitely share my experiences. This is my first Tom bihn bag and I am eagerly looking forward to it. Oh and yes that 24mm pancake lens is amazing. It makes me want to take my DSLR with me everywhere I go because of its form factor! Awesome Pilot in Tokyo🤙🏼

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the pilot really makes sense in this way as the DLBP can allow things to 'bunch' down at the bottom. More accessibility in the pilot.

I'm off to Thailand in a few months and thinking of my Nordic Pilot for the same duties. I'm rocking a Canon D30 from a decade ago but might take a look at this pancake lens.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)