Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant post and photos, Illyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the wonderful pics Ilkyway!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm adding a few pictures that compare the Luminary with the Sprout and the Synapse 19, so that it's possible to see the difference in body length/width and in the strap design.

Here's the Sprout vs the Luminary seen from the front. The Sprout is wider and shorter. (It can't carry a laptop)
    The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3276-jpg

Here's the back view of the Sprout and the Luminary. The straps of the Luminary are both curved and padded -- meant to follow the shape of the wearer. It's not possible to see in this view, but @Ilkyway's earlier posts show that the underside of the Luminary straps are lightly padded. This is both softer and more flexible than the Synapse 19 straps. (They're also lighter weight). The backing of the Sprout is not padded, but the Luminary's backpad is curved to fit and also lightly padded. People, like @sturbridge, who tried the Sprout earlier, can see that the Luminary is really designed for a slightly longer adult body type.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3277-jpg

Here's the comparison of the Luminary with the Synapse 19 (in the same new material). Seen from the back, both the straps and backing material are much wider and heavier on the Synapse 19. You can see the width of the Synapse 19.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3271-jpg

Now here's the view from the front of the Luminary and Synapse 19 (again, in the new material). If you look at @Ilkyway's earlier posts, you can also see that the top handle loop (with stitched webbing) on the Luminary is also different, and more comfortable to hold.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3272-jpg

HTH.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Wonderful post, as usual. Thanks Ilkyway!

I like how you use the Second Aid pouch in the top of the main compartment. Do you think a small Snake Charmer would fit? The snake charmer is almost twice as thick as the Second Aid pouch (4.3 inches vs 2.2 inches deep). The height and width of both bags is the same...so it's the depth of the Snake Charmer (or in this case the Snack Chamber) that could be a problem.
    @K9TB,

Here are some pictures with the Small Snake Charmer in Monarch Halcyon inside the top of the Luminary:
    The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3280-jpg

Here's a comparison of the Small Snake Charmer, Luminary, and Second Aid Pouch
    The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3282-jpg

The size of the Second Aid Pouch (in profile) approximated the size of the Small Snake Charmer, but the SSC is much deeper. It can hold items that make it exceed the comfortable depth of the Luminary. The Second Aid Pouch is narrower, but the Small Snake Charmer will work fine as long as you don't stuff it to maximum thickness, and will let you carry more items with more depth than the Second Aid Pouch. I'd use Halcyon here for more easy compressibility when not entirely full.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will a Side Kick fit in the Luminary?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Will a Side Kick fit in the Luminary?
    @luvdabags,

You can fit a Side Kick into the Luminary, but not without turning it 90 degrees to insert. Correction: It's tight, but because the bottom of the Luminary is slightly wider, you can fit either a Side Effect or a FJN into the bottom of the Luminary without rotating. I'll append a picture to the end of this post.

Here's a picture of the Luminary beside an FJN:

The FJN profile is nearly the same as the Side Kick. It is too wide to go into the Luminary without rotating it by 90 degrees. (This is actually easier to do with a Halcyon Side Kick, although the Ballistic version should also work.)

HTH

moriond

ETA: Here are some pictures showing the FJN inside the Luminary (my Side Kick is Black Halcyon, and doesn't show up as well against the inside of the bag as does the Azure FJN. Also, I'm using a Halcyon Side Kick, which does deform to fit. I'd have to get out my Aubergine Ballistic Side Kick, repack everything, and then try to shoot pictures of a more rigid structure in the Luminary to show you the results).

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3286-jpg

Azure FJN in bottom of the Luminary. Because this is being placed in the bottom (widest section) of the bag, and is only half height, it will fit, and so will a Side Kick (even one that is rigid in Ballistic Nylon, although a Halcyon Side Kick fits in more easily). The impact of filling the full width of the bottom of the Luminary is that the available depth room for items placed in front of the Side Kick or FJN may be reduced. In the next few pictures I select squooshable items to pack in front (on either side). The actual profile of the cross-section of the Luminary is slightly half-moon -- definitely NOT a rectangle, so things will be even tighter if I increase the thickness of the FJN in the bag by adding items to the back outside pockect. Anything that makes the rectangular cross-section of the FJN or SideKick, which already extends the full width of the interior of the Luminary, will impact the remaining depth of the bag for carrying other items.

The other items carried here are a Zojurushi thermos (16 oz size) and a Solar Halcyon 3D (Fabric) Organizer cube, plus a Size 1 Northwest Sky Travel Stuff Sack. Here's the same view angled from the side. Notice that the bottom of the Luminary is bulging in a circular format. In both pictures the side zippers are down as far as they will go. The bottom zippers show the extent of the "side pockets", which have been left empty to maximum the bulk of what I can fit into the bottom of the Luminary with a rigid FJN or Side Kick also in the bottom.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3285-jpg

The same items (16 oz Zojurushi thermos, Solar Halcyon 3D Organizer Cube, and Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack in Northwest Sky holding a down vest) shown separately

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3283-jpg

Azure FJN on top of the bottom of the Luminary. Not easy to see, but the bottom of the Luminary is curved. The FJN width (and that of a SideKick) just about fills the available width of the bottom of the bag at the back, where it is widest.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3284-jpg
    Last edited by moriond; 06-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great comparison pics - Im liking the slender profile of the Luminary and the new colours Dawn/Cloud appeal to me - but then being grey/purple tingle that's no big surprise.

Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @luvdabags,

You can fit a Side Kick into the Luminary, but not without turning it 90 degrees
    Thanks, @moriond. How about the Side Effect? Options for fitting that in? And (unrelated) how does the profile of the SE compare to a cubelet?

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for you lucky ducks who have the Luminary on hand: Is the zipper for the small pockets on the side continuous with the zipper for the main pouch--from the pics it looks like there is a stitched area that divides this zipper. How resilient is that to wear over time? If that thread gets frayed with use, will the zipper stick? OH, and I vote for a Red/Dawn combo in this awesome looking bag. Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @moriond. How about the Side Effect? Options for fitting that in? And (unrelated) how does the profile of the SE compare to a cubelet?
    @luvdabags, I corrected that comment. The Side Kick will got into the bottom of the Luminary, but it takes up the full width. And with the FJN, if you have additional items in the back pocket, and a full (thick) set of zipped up contents, the fit can be tight. The front of the bag curves outward, so the amount of depth you can use is affected by the widest insertion (FJN or Side Kick).

A Side Effect can fit in at either the top or bottom. (I'll have to go off to take pictures).

moriond

ETA: Here's a picture of my Side Effect in the top of the Luminary:

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3287-jpg

The Side Effect is not as wide as the Side Kick or FJN. And if it fits in the (slightly narrower and tapered) top, it will fit anywhere along the length of the bag
    Last edited by moriond; 06-27-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added picture of Side Effect in top of Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Question for you lucky ducks who have the Luminary on hand: Is the zipper for the small pockets on the side continuous with the zipper for the main pouch--from the pics it looks like there is a stitched area that divides this zipper. How resilient is that to wear over time? If that thread gets frayed with use, will the zipper stick? OH, and I vote for a Red/Dawn combo in this awesome looking bag. Thanks!
    No, the zipper at the side of the Luminary is divided. If you look at the front design of the Luminary, the black piping delineates where there's a separate set of "front pockets" accessed by the side zippers. So, you reach in on either side of the bottom unzipped section, and access pockets that go from the zipper to the piping boundary. About half an inch down from where the top zipper ends on each side, there's an O-ring on each side's inside pocket (side near the piping).

When you unzip the top zipper, you access the "main compartment" in the center of the Luminary. Sorry not to have better pictures but all of these items arrived for me yesterday afternoon.

moriond

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    No, the zipper at the side of the Luminary is divided.
    moriond
    I think I get it--the same physical zipper accesses the MAIN compartment (the top portion of the zipper) and then the bottom portions are the side pockets that extend into the level of the piping seen on the front of the bag. So, my question is about the durability of that zipper stitched division--I feel like I don't see that on other TB bags, and I wonder about the two zippers bumping against that spot overtime--will the thread that forms the division fray and catch the zippers? Perhaps Darcy or others who did the early trials carrying this bag can put in their two cents.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I get it--the same physical zipper accesses the MAIN compartment (the top portion of the zipper) and then the bottom portions are the side pockets that extend into the level of the piping seen on the front of the bag. So, my question is about the durability of that zipper stitched division--I feel like I don't see that on other TB bags, and I wonder about the two zippers bumping against that spot overtime--will the thread that forms the division fray and catch the zippers? Perhaps Darcy or others who did the early trials carrying this bag can put in their two cents.
    I asked Tom about this, and he said:
    It's the equivalent of a massive bar tack separating the two openings, as well as separating the zipper sliders. The sliders can only back into each other, so they don't pull the zipper apart. We're confident it's more than adequately tough.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tom and Darcy!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I asked Tom about this, and he said:
    It's the equivalent of a massive bar tack separating the two openings, as well as separating the zipper sliders. The sliders can only back into each other, so they don't pull the zipper apart. We're confident it's more than adequately tough.
    To get a better view of this detail, watch the video showing the Luminary features. Hit 'pause' immediately when the counter goes from 1:29 to 1:30.

ETA: Now that I know what to look for, you can also see this detail in Ilkyway's Post #17 in the "Shop Bags in New Colors..." thread. It's the pic comparing a Deep Blue Luminary to Ballistic Navy, but you can see the bar tack.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...terials-2.html
    Last edited by K9TB; 06-27-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast