Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the photos!

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

Here's the comparison of the Luminary with the Synapse 19 (in the same new material). Seen from the back, both the straps and backing material are much wider and heavier on the Synapse 19. You can see the width of the Synapse 19.

Attachment 18321

moriond
    Sorry to go off topic here but...taking a look at the back of the S19 in the new material--those straps look pretty close together up top. Perhaps similar in strap style to the older Synapses some of us preferred? Or is this just my own wishful thinking lol!
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Great pictures, Ilka!

I understand what you mean by the iPad sliding in on it's short side.

I am wondering if a 12" MacBook might fit in there! :D
    @maverick,

I tried fitting an 11" MacBook AIr into that side compartment @Ilkyway placed an Ipad into (in the pictures in her post #3 in this thread). I can force it in -- but I have to push rather hard to get the edge to clear the zipper. The issue is not that the 11" MacBook Air cannot fit into that space -- it's whether the clearance of the bottom of the zipper lets me swivel the 11" MBA into the opening by going from horizontal insertion to vertical positioning without damaging the zipperhead limit. My guess is that you might be able to achieve this placing a bare 12" MacBook.

I quote one of my earlier posts about the relative size of the 12" MacBook vs the 11" MacBook Air to get the dimensions:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Correct, @jennygoat, but the 11" MBA is actually longer than the 12" MacBook in the critical length dimension (which is what limits the maximum size laptop that can fit into the Co-Pilot). This is a result of the redesign of the 12" MacBook keyboard.

12-in MacBook dimensions: 197 x 281 x 13.1 mm
    11-in MacBook Air dimensions: 192 x 300 x 17 mm

The 12-in MacBook is 5 mm taller than the 11-in MacBook Air, but in every other respect (13.1 mm thickness, 281 mm length, and 921 gm weight vs 1.080 gm for the 11-in MacBook Air), it is smaller.

HTH,

moriond
    I think the shorter length of the 12" MacBook might be enough to let you insert it into the side compartment without having to force too hard against the zipper head limit, but you'd need someone who actually has the 12" MacBook to perform this test for you. Yes, you could likely force it into position, as I was able to do with the borrowed 11" MacBook Air, but someone should be able to check this more exactly.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Sorry to go off topic here but...taking a look at the back of the S19 in the new material--those straps look pretty close together up top. Perhaps similar in strap style to the older Synapses some of us preferred? Or is this just my own wishful thinking lol!
    @jess,

You'll have to get someone else to measure more precisely. If the S19 straps are closer, it's by 1.2" (the bag you mentioned in the picture) vs. 1.25" (the latest Synapse 19 in Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky) on my measurements. It might look more closely spaced, because I pulled the other straps tighter for the picture. By my estimate, this is the range of production variation. If you assume that I can tell the difference in strap spacing comfort when I wear these bags, I will simply say that the Luminary straps feel more comfortable on my body than the current version Synapse 19 straps. And that the older (original Synapse from the first production batch) strap spacing feels more comfortable on me than the current Synapse 19 straps (that are somewhat wider), but the difference is what I would deem "tolerable".

Because of the curvature and flex of the Luminary Backpack straps, I would not try to use the apparent spacing on the top as any measure of how comfortable it would feel on a petite build torso. My opinion is that the Luminary feels more comfortable on my torso than the current Synapse 19.
    YMMV.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-28-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Forum Member
    the Puget Sound Region
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to assume the bag is narrower than the DLBP? I'm kinda bummed. It looks great but I don't think it will work with my wider body frame. Oh well.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mreh View Post
    Is it safe to assume the bag is narrower than the DLBP? I'm kinda bummed. It looks great but I don't think it will work with my wider body frame. Oh well.
    Hi @mreh,

Yes, the Luminary is narrower than the Daylight Backpack. The outline profile of the Daylight Backpack basically fits the outlined shape of the Synapse 25. The Synapse 19 that I showed in comparison has the Synapse 25 as a longer version of the Synapse 19 that essentially continues to widen a bit at its base.

It's not clear to me that the Luminary can't be worn by people with wider body frames (take a look at the pictures of many of members of the Tom Bihn Crew modeling the Luminary in Darcy's post #57 in the Summer 2017 Debut! thread for examples.

I will say that I find the Luminary very comfortable to wear, and that I noticed the change in wearing comfort of the Synapse 19 when they moved to wider backpack strap spacing on my frame.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-29-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So . . . Why Luminary? It doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as Muse.

Is Muse being saved for a different item?

Or were people calling it the Moose? It kind of looks like a moose face without the antlers. I mean that with love.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm tempted to get this backpack for travel (even though I usually only use a backpack when I'm hiking) but I'm having a hard time visualizing the available space. Ideally I'd like to travel with a small dslr with a shortish zoom lens (I usually only bring my 18-135 mm unless I'm planning to do wildlife photography, in which case I would definitely need a bigger bag), my 20 ounce wide mouth insulated Klean Kanteen, a short down coat or light scarf depending on the weather and a few odds and ends (phone, wallet, passport, sunglasses, wipes/hand sanitizer, sunblock).

Right now I usually use an 18L shoulder bag that fits all of the above plus some, but it has an outside pocket for my water bottle that saves a lot of room. It also gets very heavy and uncomfortable to carry.

Does that interior water bottle compartment fold away? I was thinking I could keep the camera on one side and the bottle on the other with the coat on top and the rest tucked away in the side pockets or back compartment.

Does that seem feasible? I'll probably end up buying it and doing a trial pack to see if it all fits but it would be helpful to know if there's no way a camera+lens and water bottle would fit with anything else so I don't waste $20 for shipping/return shipping.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The waterbottle pocket can be unzipped abd than be foulded away. I have a bit of a problem seeing both your dslr and a bottle in there but if you padd one it might be just fine.
    So my verdict is: it might fitt all but it is a bit of a close call I feel. Much depending on the size of your warm layer.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, when I placed the Field Journal Notebook into the main compartment of the Luminary I unzipped the bottle pocket. My Zojurushi 16 oz thermos sat in the flexible mesh webbing that can hold much larger diameter water bottles, but this adjusted around the smaller thermos to let me place the Solar Halcyon 3D OrganizerCube and filled Size #1 Travel Stuff Sack on either side without loss of space. I could insert my 13" Retina MacBook Pro laptop into that main compartment with the water bottle pocket unzipped, but it wouldn't leave too much room for other items.

moriond

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd2102 View Post
    I'm tempted to get this backpack for travel (even though I usually only use a backpack when I'm hiking) but I'm having a hard time visualizing the available space. Ideally I'd like to travel with a small dslr with a shortish zoom lens (I usually only bring my 18-135 mm unless I'm planning to do wildlife photography, in which case I would definitely need a bigger bag), my 20 ounce wide mouth insulated Klean Kanteen, a short down coat or light scarf depending on the weather and a few odds and ends (phone, wallet, passport, sunglasses, wipes/hand sanitizer, sunblock).

Right now I usually use an 18L shoulder bag that fits all of the above plus some, but it has an outside pocket for my water bottle that saves a lot of room. It also gets very heavy and uncomfortable to carry.

Does that interior water bottle compartment fold away? I was thinking I could keep the camera on one side and the bottle on the other with the coat on top and the rest tucked away in the side pockets or back compartment.

Does that seem feasible? I'll probably end up buying it and doing a trial pack to see if it all fits but it would be helpful to know if there's no way a camera+lens and water bottle would fit with anything else so I don't waste $20 for shipping/return shipping.

Thanks!
    Not having seen the Luminary in person yet (obviously) but having traveled with a DSLR with 18-135 lens plus water, jacket, etc, I would suggest looking at the S19 as well. The water bottle pocket is interior on the S19, so you won't have quite as much "and then some" as your current 18L pack, but the organization and comfort of the S19 lends itself very well to a travel/hiking camera backpack. I often packed my camera, water, and small-ish travel tripod into my S19 and it was a great fit and still comfortable to carry. The S19 does (will. . . ) come in some of the nice new colors if you so desire.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I'm skeptical too but I may just give it a try.

I'm not a huge fan of the Synapse (or most other backpacks) because of all the zippers. I prefer a cleaner aesthetic. Those types of backpacks also make me feel like I'm back in school! The Luminary looks a bit sleeker which is why it's intriguing, but with that sleekness comes less space...

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE the Luminary! The slim profile is very attractive and reminds me of a larger sized camelback hydration backpack. It does something the DLBP cannot do, and that is to keep it's shape.

For all of the obvious sewing involved in this bag, I was really impressed with the price as well as the unique side zippers.

It's the color combinations that I will be waiting for. My preference would be black on the outside with grass or veridian (the teal color) on the inside, before I order one.
    Last edited by anna2222; 06-29-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love a cloud exterior/veridian interior! But when it debuts, I'll probably just go ahead and grab alphaviolet/veridian. I do love how sleek it looks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There have been some questions over in the Summer 2017 Debut! thread about what size laptops can fit into the Luminary.

I posted a reply that I could carry a 13" MacBook Air in the Luminary, but that I suspected this wouldn't be advised (although I thought some people would routinely do this.)

Here are some pictures:

This is what my 2011 13" Macbook Air in a clear shell looks like inside the Luminary. It goes out about to the width limits of the Luminary. I carry eyeglasses in a Cote et Ciel eyewear sleeve inside the front pocket. Here the sleeve is shown lying on top of the Luminary.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3294-jpg

Here's the same 13" MacBook Air in clear hard case to the right of the Luminary. I've hooked Single size Pouchkins to the O-rings in the side pockets of the Luminary. The red pouchkin at the right contains a small Altoids tin. The blue pouchkin at the left contains a blister pack of Immodium caplets and a tea bag in back. (In practice, I put an eyewear sleeve into the right pocket, so I wouldn't add a blue pouchkin there, since it would make slipping the eyewear sleeve in and out too difficult.)

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3293-jpg

Here's what the 13" MacBook Air looks like if I slip it into a cache and place it into the Luminary. The top of the cache makes the fit much tighter. You can do this, but on a regular basis it might place stress on the main compartment of the Luminary. In the closed right side pocket (without pouchkin) I've stored my glasses in an eyewear sleeve.

The Luminary FKA Muse-img_3295-jpg

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast