Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know if the shoulder straps on this one are going to find their way onto the other packs? It all sounds pretty comfy, and the tapering ends and shorter sternum strap attachment points look nice and clean.

Also, it looks like you could clip a key strap horizontally across in the main compartment on those two O-rings and use a Cache with rails. It looks like they didn't add the regular railway attachment because with a big enough laptop, the double-sided Gatekeeper clips would make it way too tall, but a horizontal bar formed by a key strap looks like it's just the right size to do the job.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkynomad View Post
    Anyone know if the shoulder straps on this one are going to find their way onto the other packs? It all sounds pretty comfy, and the tapering ends and shorter sternum strap attachment points look nice and clean.

Also, it looks like you could clip a key strap horizontally across in the main compartment on those two O-rings and use a Cache with rails. It looks like they didn't add the regular railway attachment because with a big enough laptop, the double-sided Gatekeeper clips would make it way too tall, but a horizontal bar formed by a key strap looks like it's just the right size to do the job.
    Hi @snarkynomad,

Darcy or Tom would have to comment on the possibility of the backpack strap design of the Luminary making it to other models, but it is pretty comfortable to wear. I can use this either with or without the sternum straps buckled (I'm just under 5'4", petite build). The O-ring set up on either side of the top of the main compartment of the Luminary is like that of the Synapse -- I think most people will use it similarly, such as a way to secure smaller pouches such as 3D Organizer Cubes and other similar accessories to the top of the bag, rather than trying to rig a suspension system for a cache with rails.

If I'm carrying a small laptop, it will likely go most of the way through the main compartment and not need suspension. I also have the option of inserting smaller tablets into the back pocket ( accessed via the zipper at the right side of the Luminary) and putting it between the back panel of the main compartment of the Luminary and its lightly padded back.

The svelte design of the Luminary does mean that the front side pockets aren't extensive or deep. I can carry eyeglasses there because the Côte et Ciel Mykita eyewear sleeve that I use is soft and compact. Although I can fit a small hard eyeglass case there, it doesn't fit as comfortably.@NWHikergal had some other comments about trying this and other new designs on during her visit to the TB store that you might want to check out. I do like this backpack a lot as an alternative to the Synapse 19 that is very comfortable to wear if I'm carrying less. And although I tend to use slim water bottles in practice, the mesh webbing, that is easily unzipped and reconfigured, will hold much larger diameter water bottles in place at the bottom of the bag, if that's how you choose to use it.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks moriond,

for including those adorable Pouchkins, they are actually slightly bigger than what I was picturing. I ordered 2 of them, can't wait to put them to use. Its also nice to see a close-up picture of the black ballistic 525, it just looks so nice.

Question: In the video of the Luminary, it shows an ipad coming out of the large side pocket. Do you know if that was a regular ipad and if so, if it is a tight fit? I have an ipad pro 10.5" (just slightly bigger than the 9.7" version) with an otterbox on it and not sure it would fit...
    Last edited by anna2222; 06-30-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To build upon what @moriond said above, and based only on a one-time examination of the Luminary in the showroom (so take it for what it's worth), it seems like a great streamlined fusion of some of the best elements of the Synapse and the Smart Alec, in a petite form factor. You are able to keep a lot of the sleekness of the SA minus the bungees, but with the collapsible water bottle sleeve in the interior, you have the advantage of a centered water bottle like a Synapse. Since the side pockets are not obvious, that might be an advantage theoretically in travel. They are small though, so I actually had to slightly maneuver my cell phone to put it in the side pocket, which seemed more awkward than with my S19. I found the shoulder straps to be very comfortable, and I am curious how the long term durability of the softer underside of the straps will be in comparison to those found on the Synapse and SA. If I did not already have other non-TB bags in this size range, I would probably take a harder look at the Luminary.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 06-30-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The long term durability of the shoulder straps is my main concern. From the photos I can see in this forum, the softer material seems to wrap the edges and sewn on the top side. In Synapse, there is a tougher webbing material along the edges. I would think that the shoulder straps' edges are more susceptible to wear and tear.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still waiting on the story of the name change from Muse to Luminary.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Luminary is back in stock! I feel safe posting this because I have already ordered mine. ;)

After much mental debate since the release, I ended up deciding to go with the Black/Cloud option, as I really did enjoy a similar combo in my Black/NWS Smart Alec. Much as I would love a Black/Veridian combo, I have wanted the Luminary-like bag for too long to wait more, especially as I'll get use out of it quickly. What I will do is keep an eye on the Small Cafe Bag stock, and watch for a Black/Veridian combo to show up there, as I don't enjoy the Navy interior of my current Black SCB.
    Rambling On. . . . .

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh Meglet. I was just going to announce it (after having ordered mine first of course ;) but you beat me to it.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Heh Meglet. I was just going to announce it (after having ordered mine first of course ;) but you beat me to it.
    Funny enough, I checked about an hour ago on my lunch break "just in case" and there was nothing. I saw the email come in while waiting for a task to complete and I don't think I've placed a faster order in a long time. :D
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered Mars/Cloud! Somehow, I had a crazy feeling that today would be the day. Please don't ask me how many times, I clicked on the Forum to check (although I'm guessing there's a record of that somewhere). And, then my trusty E-Mail notification popped. Why do I feel like I won a lottery?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh Meglet. I was just going to announce it (after having ordered mine first of course ;) but you beat me to it. I got a Cloud/Cloud one. Ironically , I've been checking way more times every day than I should be, and the email comes out when I'm busy with work.

Sorry this is a duplicate post- not sure what happened here.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bweaves said
    I'm still waiting on the story of the name change from Muse to Luminary.
    Go here: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-luminary.html

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought I decided on Deep Blue/Grass, but decided that I want to go bold with one bag. So I am waiting for the Mars Red/Viridian, which is the only one still listed as in production!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    @bweaves said , "I'm still waiting on the story of the name change from Muse to Luminary."

Go here: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-luminary.html
    Thanks!!!

That was a bit disappointing. I liked the name Muse better. It seemed to be more inspiring.

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until yesterday was 100% set on Alphaviolet/Viridian for all the things ever but then I got a swatch of Mars Red in the mail and fell hard. But like @brendabethman says, the answer is always purple and choosing is so difficult! I just couldn't decide and was afraid they'd sell out so I just got both lol! I blame Mike from shipping :)
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast