Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Forum Member
    Katy, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Marsha,

Very hard to say, but it packs smaller than a Synapse 19 in thickness because of the lightweight backing and lighter straps -- guessing maybe .8" thick? Best quick comment I can give is that I could fit it into the backpack strap pocket of my TriStar, and also my Western Flyer, and I would never try that with a Synapse. Not as flexible as a Daylight Backpack, but not as wide, so I could fit it in.

Sorry, can't take pictures and won't be able to for quite a while. Maybe someone else can show this?

HTH

moriond

ETA: Doesn't mean this necessarily works for A45 backpack strap pocket because of its hourglass rather than rectangular shape. Someone would have to check. But gives you a sense of how flat it can pack.
    @moriond--really helpful. Thank you so much.
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
    Could one of you lucky folks with a Luminary opine on how much room it will take up flat packed in an A45? I'm trying to decide between the Luminary and the DLBP as a bag to pack in a bag so that I have a day pack on trips. I have a separate post asking this question, but no responses yet, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks!
    @Marsha, I hope I can take some photos of it later today. I haven't tried it yet because I pretty much always take either my Packing Cube Backpack, or more likely, my DLBP in Nordic when I travel. If I can manage to get the photos up, I'll share them here.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marsha-- They are awful low in the bag for that to work. There's 11" (very approx) between the ring and the bottom of the bag. The bag is narrower. I feel like it would leave only 3-4 inches underneath. That might be enough space to put a summer sweater underneath for me a plus sized woman with big guns. They really seem designed to zip up the middle and use stuff sacks in them.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sd2102 View Post
    I'm tempted to get this backpack for travel (even though I usually only use a backpack when I'm hiking) but I'm having a hard time visualizing the available space. Ideally I'd like to travel with a small dslr with a shortish zoom lens (I usually only bring my 18-135 mm unless I'm planning to do wildlife photography, in which case I would definitely need a bigger bag), my 20 ounce wide mouth insulated Klean Kanteen, a short down coat or light scarf depending on the weather and a few odds and ends (phone, wallet, passport, sunglasses, wipes/hand sanitizer, sunblock).

Right now I usually use an 18L shoulder bag that fits all of the above plus some, but it has an outside pocket for my water bottle that saves a lot of room. It also gets very heavy and uncomfortable to carry.

Does that interior water bottle compartment fold away? I was thinking I could keep the camera on one side and the bottle on the other with the coat on top and the rest tucked away in the side pockets or back compartment.

Does that seem feasible? I'll probably end up buying it and doing a trial pack to see if it all fits but it would be helpful to know if there's no way a camera+lens and water bottle would fit with anything else so I don't waste $20 for shipping/return shipping.

Thanks!
    @sd2102 How did the test pack go? I'm hoping to carry a similar load and am wondering how the luminary worked for you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    @sd2102 How did the test pack go? I'm hoping to carry a similar load and am wondering how the luminary worked for you.
    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to order it and try it out yet (I had too many other trip-related purchases to pay for), so I'm sticking with my Lowepro backpack for my upcoming trip. The small exterior pockets in the Luminary are giving me pause though- I would've liked to put my phone in one of them but it sounds likethe iPhone 6 is too big. I'll probably still order it later this year to see if it will work.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sd2102 I have the 6s PLUS in an Otter Case (I am known to drop my phone) and that does not fit in the side pockets. Of cause it fits into the backpocket where also an iPad fits.

But if you did not just forget the PLUS up there and own the normal sizes 6 that will deffinatly fit even in an Otterbox type of case.
    The Plus models fit without a case or skinny cases.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know! Thanks!

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I bought and returned The Luminary in Mars Red. But now that I have the Pop Tote in Mars Red, I am thinking about the Luminary as its companion. I just got the MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar and am wondering if it will fit (with cache) and not stress the bag as the MBA 13 seems to. The MBP is a bit smaller so I'm hoping it would work.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    So, I bought and returned The Luminary in Mars Red. But now that I have the Pop Tote in Mars Red, I am thinking about the Luminary as its companion. I just got the MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar and am wondering if it will fit (with cache) and not stress the bag as the MBA 13 seems to. The MBP is a bit smaller so I'm hoping it would work.
    Hi @Pokliani,

The Touch Bar 13" Retina MacBook Pros (2016 and 2017 models) are 0.3" shorter than the previous model 13" Retina MacBook Pros. In my opinion, these versions in their caches clear the Luminary edges, whereas the earlier versions that I posted pictures of (while puzzled about the early production description page) do not. You can take a look at the quick pictures I posted in the smallest backpack for a 13" MBP? thread started by @bluedawg. (From recollection, she is about 5'3" and bought a Navy/Solar Synapse when that backpack first debuted. I'd also guess that she might like the more pet fur friendly 525d Ballistic and the backpack straps of the Luminary.)

These were not the greatest pictures, because I was rushed for time, but here is the naked laptop (2017 Touchbar model of the 13" Retina MacBook Pro) in the Luminary:

With the cache on, the laptop also clears the top and sides, but it may not be so easy to see in this picture:

HTH

moriond

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkynomad View Post
    Anyone know if the shoulder straps on this one are going to find their way onto the other packs? It all sounds pretty comfy, and the tapering ends and shorter sternum strap attachment points look nice and clean.
    I'm also wondering the same thing. The shoulder straps on the Luminary look great and the shape seems like it would be much better for me. I have a red blend Daylight backpack which I love but the shoulder straps are really uncomfortable so I only use it if I don't need to wear it for any length of time. Would love to be able to swap out the shoulder straps on it.

Heidelberg, Germany | Barcelona, Spain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: Any word on the "Luminary for taller people"?

I'm still very much interested in a Luminary and I find the general concept brilliant ... but I'm 1.86m (6'1") ...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d.markwig View Post
    BTW: Any word on the "Luminary for taller people"?

I'm still very much interested in a Luminary and I find the general concept brilliant ... but I'm 1.86m (6'1") ...
    Tom was sewing a final prototype of the "Luminary for taller people" this week here at the factory. It will debut sometime this year! :)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my Luminary out to San Francisco today, for a day of cable cars, Muni, BART, walking, Exploratorium, etc etc with out of town friends. I put two 16oz Nalgene water bottles in plus a zojirushi with coffee, all in the main compartment. Tucked around that was a tin of mints, a packet of tissue, a small thing of medical supplies, and my headlamp in a protective case (hey, I like to be prepared). Rolled & stored above was my zip fleece.
    One side pocket had two Clif bars & more tissues...the other had a mini Q-Kit with vials of motrin, dramamine, lip balm, etc. plus more tissues (hey, I have wicked allergies and it's spring here).
    Back pocket had my Kindle Paperwhite and a fairly large battery to recharge my phone...

I was very happy with the way the bag carried overall and how much it actually fits. My only annoyance was having to unzip and get under my jacket to get to my water. What was very nice is that because it is so slim in all dimensions, I never felt like I was in danger of whacking it into anyone or anything, even in the packed tourist areas. I didn't weigh it, but I basically didn't notice it was even on my back most of the time... the sternum strap made it feel perfectly positioned and secure.

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Luminary for taller (wider?) people also include a way for the chest strap not to cover my neck? I'm 5'7 and appreciate the size of the luminary, but there is no way that I could use the strap for stability due to it's location, even at it's lowest point. That is with the backpack very high on my back already.
    TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I took my Luminary out to San Francisco today, for a day of cable cars, Muni, BART, walking, Exploratorium, etc etc with out of town friends.
    I recently visited the Exploratorium as well. Here's my Travel Cubelet in Archimedes chair -- not pictured is the Pop Tote it's talking with in the other chair. :)

The Luminary FKA Muse-travel-cubelet-exploratorium-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by featherwitch View Post
    Does the Luminary for taller (wider?) people also include a way for the chest strap not to cover my neck? I'm 5'7 and appreciate the size of the luminary, but there is no way that I could use the strap for stability due to it's location, even at it's lowest point. That is with the backpack very high on my back already.
    @featherwitch would it be possible for you to email photos of yourself wearing the Luminary to feedback@tombihn.com? One of our crew is 5'7" and, for them, the sternum strap of the current size of Luminary is comfortably adjusted to about the middle of its webbing; another member of our crew is 5'8" and finds that they must adjust the sternum strap to its lowest spot; yet another crew member in the same height range finds the sternum strap to ride too high. So, there's some variation here, and it'd be helpful for us to see how it fits you.

That said, we do think the Luminary for taller/wider people would likely be the solution here -- and we may adjust the height range for the current Luminary (currently says up to 5'10" -- may adjust that to up to 5'7") based on this and other feedback.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7