Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Luminary FKA Muse

Yestarday I recevied the Luminary which we have all speculated about and waited for so long. And now here it is:

The outer colour is Deep Blue, the interieur is Grass. I can not tell you how much I love this blue. It is more like the Navy in Parapack than in Balistic and it is very suffisticated
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-15-54-53-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-15-57-13-jpg

Here is me (6'2) wearing it:
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-16-04-08-jpg

and here is my secend daughter (5'24)
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-16-03-09-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-16-03-29-jpg

Obviosly it is a better fit for her than for me, but honestly, I feel I can pull it off :D Everybody judge for themself.

For me to wear it compftably I have to let it hang a bit lower on my back than is normaly the right way. If I hoist it up too high the shoulderstraps somehow become uncomftable. Not so worn low. I do not have to use the sternum strap as I do on the S19.

Linah sais it is very compfy for her regardless of how she wears it.

Here are some extra shots of me wearing it... spot the other knew thing??
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-16-06-33-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-16-06-54-jpg

Don't mind the SE. I feel by now that is a part of me. I wear one like this everyday ever since I baught my first one. Maybe not very elegant but so very very practical.

Ok lets move on and take a look at some details.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a size comparison with the S19 and the Sprout (7L)

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-18-28-53-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-18-29-28-jpg

And now close and personal:

The handle: nicely done, feels cushy without any added padding
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-13-47-30-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-13-48-00-jpg

The shoulderstraps are different: very soft on the inside, nicely padded and durable on the outside:
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-13-48-30-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-30-13-jpg

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha there you saw a glimps of the need packpocket but first to the main compartment:

I used the Second Aid Pouch version 2 for all the small stuff I have in my bag. More on that later in a different thread.
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-14-16-23-jpg

Underneaht you see my waterpoof layer, in one pic my 20 oz Yeti in the other version a Kleen Kanteen, my usual bar of shocolat and my GIANT wallet:
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-14-16-31-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-00-46-jpg

at the very bottom I have my compolsary towl (it slides underneath the zipped watterbottle holder and cussions the content while also providing an emergancy towl.

In the two side pockets: one contains a Mini Organzer Pouch, the other a very big shop bag that can be foulded away very very flat.

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-01-54-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-02-49-jpg

Thus I feel prepeard for everything a nice summerday might through at me.

Ilkyway

Here you see everything as pulled out and also spread out:

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a backocket, it has the zipper on one side and since the back itself is padded this is a nice place for a talbet or simelar item.

The "old" iPad Pro 9,7
    The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-29-57-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-30-23-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-30-13-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-28-47-jpg

You have to slide it in via the short side and than can "stand it up" in there I hope that makes sense.

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And than there are two small side pockets. Each has one O-Ring to secure a pouch or keys in there (the main compartment has two O-Rings too).

As mentioned above I have a pouch in one and a shop bag (different brand) in the other. The kick is: the zipper that looks to go all around the main compartment is compartmentized. It goes down far enough to open the main compartment comftably and than Zippers go up for the side pockets.
    Like with the SA: the fuller the main compartment is, the flatter these side pockets become.

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-03-27-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-04-10-jpg

The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-04-33-jpg

I have tried to show the concept, I am not sure this is a succsess :)

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here two extra shots of the bag itself:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18288[/ATTACH

]The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-27-08-00-22-jpg

I understand, that this is a small persons backpack or fits thouse best. But I can tell you (aside from how it looks) I can wear it nicely and I like the layout. I especially like the bottle compartment, that can be either used or unziped and be ignored.
    I would not be able to make it work in winter, as than I have more that I carry around and I am not sure I would like wearing it over a heavy coat. But for summer or vacations this is a cuty with some very interesting features. This is tall womans take on The Luminary

Ilkyway
    Attached Images Attached Images The Luminary FKA Muse-2017-06-26-15-27-36-jpg 

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures, Ilka!

I understand what you mean by the iPad sliding in on it's short side.

I am wondering if a 12" MacBook might fit in there! :D
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Great pictures, Ilka!

I understand what you mean by the iPad sliding in on it's short side.

I am wondering if a 12" MacBook might fit in there! :D
    I agree that these are great pictures (and maybe I don't have to post mine, now!) @maverick, I think you can get a 12" MacBook into the Luminary. (I'm going to run and borrow an 11" MacBook Air now to confirm this).

ETA: I can fit my 13" Retina MacBook Pro inside the main compartment of the Luminary, but it's really designed for smaller laptops

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-27-2017 at 05:18 PM.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maverick when I have done the other thereads that I intent to do I will find a book in that size and try it. But I think... maybe... but I am not too confident.

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How packable is it (to fit into another bag)? Does it roll up easily?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful post, as usual. Thanks Ilkyway!

I like how you use the Second Aid pouch in the top of the main compartment. Do you think a small Snake Charmer would fit? The snake charmer is almost twice as thick as the Second Aid pouch (4.3 inches vs 2.2 inches deep). The height and width of both bags is the same...so it's the depth of the Snake Charmer (or in this case the Snack Chamber) that could be a problem.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by automaticsoap View Post
    How packable is it (to fit into another bag)? Does it roll up easily?
    @automaticsoap,

The Luminary is not designed to roll up (the way that the Daylight series of the backpacks and briefcases can). The back is padded with foam, so it is comfortable to wear, and the straps are lightly padded as well, as @Ilkyway showed. This is a backpack that is designed to be lightweight, but comfortable to wear -- not so minimalist so that the padding and lightly padded straps are either eliminated or replaced by webbings.

moriond

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only would pack it flat, the back is padded, the shoulderstraps too and I would not feel comftable rolling the zippers on this. I think if you are looking for packable as in rollable you should look at the Daylight Backpack.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Wonderful post, as usual. Thanks Ilkyway!

I like how you use the Second Aid pouch in the top of the main compartment. Do you think a small Snake Charmer would fit? The snake charmer is almost twice as thick as the Second Aid pouch (4.3 inches vs 2.2 inches deep). The height and width of both bags is the same...so it's the depth of the Snake Charmer (or in this case the Snack Chamber) that could be a problem.
    A Small Snake Charmer will fit well into the top of the Luminary, but you'll probably carry it without fully filling up the width. The nice thing about the small snake charmer in this bag is that the curved top follows the curve of the top of the luminary. It works really well with the Halcyon Small Snake Charmer.

moriond

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I bet the outer back pocket (where you put the iPad) would be good for a bicycle U-lock!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast